Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Monahven

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

Does Monahven, the dragon word for Throat of the World aka Snow Throat or Snow Tower, mean "Mother Wind" or "Daughter Hunter Wind"?

And why is "mother" "daughter hunter"? lolol... 

These are all canon words, btw.

I suppose I get why "mother wind" would be pertinent to dragons, since they fly through the air and whatnot.

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

Does Monahven, the dragon word for Throat of the World aka Snow Throat or Snow Tower, mean "Mother Wind" or "Daughter Hunter Wind"?

And why is "mother" "daughter hunter"? lolol... 

These are all canon words, btw.

I suppose I get why "mother wind" would be pertinent to dragons, since they fly through the air and whatnot.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 25, 2013

The Ancient Nords believe that the Throat of the World is where they were created, where the wind touched the earth.  It doesn't answer why the Dov would call it this, but is a partial explanation.

This would mean "Mother Wind", the fact that "ah" means "hunter" is a coincidence.  There are scores of words that end with "ah" that have nothing to do with "hunter" ("Dovah" does not mean "Dov hunter").  Likewise in English, "escalate" has nothing to do with the word "ate" or eating.

by paarthurnax
April 25, 2013

The Ancient Nords believe that the Throat of the World is where they were created, where the wind touched the earth.  It doesn't answer why the Dov would call it this, but is a partial explanation.

This would mean "Mother Wind", the fact that "ah" means "hunter" is a coincidence.  There are scores of words that end with "ah" that have nothing to do with "hunter" ("Dovah" does not mean "Dov hunter").  Likewise in English, "escalate" has nothing to do with the word "ate" or eating.

scrptrx
April 25, 2013

haha, good point. thanks!

by scrptrx
April 25, 2013

haha, good point. thanks!

fowlron
April 26, 2013

haha love the comparation...

by fowlron
April 26, 2013

haha love the comparation...

Mul klo riik
February 3, 2015
paarthurnax

Actually, only Paarthurnax calls this place Monahven, to my extent of knowledge.

by Mul klo riik
February 3, 2015
paarthurnax

Actually, only Paarthurnax calls this place Monahven, to my extent of knowledge.

hiith
February 5, 2015

To add to the discussion, Monahven is translated in Skyrim's dialogue file as "Mother (of the) Wind". It doesn't quite make sense to me, but I've suggested this site be called monahrot in the dragon-tonge, modeled after this. I'm hoping it'll catch on.

by hiith
February 5, 2015

To add to the discussion, Monahven is translated in Skyrim's dialogue file as "Mother (of the) Wind". It doesn't quite make sense to me, but I've suggested this site be called monahrot in the dragon-tonge, modeled after this. I'm hoping it'll catch on.

DovahKiinZaan
February 8, 2015

Monahven is used in a way that implies the word means mountain

"this monahven you call throat of the world"

by DovahKiinZaan
February 8, 2015

Monahven is used in a way that implies the word means mountain

"this monahven you call throat of the world"

Mul klo riik
February 8, 2015
hiith

I've suggested this site be called monahrot in the dragon-tonge, modeled after this. I'm hoping it'll catch on.

Then perhaps we should call Paarth, "bormahserot," As he is the founding father of the site.

by Mul klo riik
February 8, 2015
hiith

I've suggested this site be called monahrot in the dragon-tonge, modeled after this. I'm hoping it'll catch on.

Then perhaps we should call Paarth, "bormahserot," As he is the founding father of the site.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.