Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Requests

1  2 > >>  

Phelan1019
August 30, 2014

I made this thread for the purpose of creating a word in Dovahzul for this Latin word: Agape. In English, this is Self-sacrificing love, the willingness to lay down your life, ambitions, comfort, etc. for the good of your fellow mortal. I have been racking my mind for months trying to find an appropriate translation for this. Perhaps my more experienced colleagues can assist in this?

Examples of Agape:

1. Anna sacrificing her life for Elsa in Frozen.

2. Harry sacrificing his life so that his friends have a chance to defeat Voldemort in Harry Potter Book 7.

by Phelan1019
August 30, 2014

I made this thread for the purpose of creating a word in Dovahzul for this Latin word: Agape. In English, this is Self-sacrificing love, the willingness to lay down your life, ambitions, comfort, etc. for the good of your fellow mortal. I have been racking my mind for months trying to find an appropriate translation for this. Perhaps my more experienced colleagues can assist in this?

Examples of Agape:

1. Anna sacrificing her life for Elsa in Frozen.

2. Harry sacrificing his life so that his friends have a chance to defeat Voldemort in Harry Potter Book 7.

Sketchi Devil
August 31, 2014

I am unfortunately not nearly as adept as the others. Still, that is word worth having. I have an very ambitious dream to complete a short story using only Dovahzul. So far I have been very good with using it for journal entries.

I understand Zarahmiik means sacrifice and maar is a suffice for self for pronouns... there's a start there.

by Sketchi Devil
August 31, 2014

I am unfortunately not nearly as adept as the others. Still, that is word worth having. I have an very ambitious dream to complete a short story using only Dovahzul. So far I have been very good with using it for journal entries.

I understand Zarahmiik means sacrifice and maar is a suffice for self for pronouns... there's a start there.

Mulhahlor
September 1, 2014
Phelan1019

I made this thread for the purpose of creating a word in Dovahzul for this Latin word: Agape. In English, this is Self-sacrificing love, the willingness to lay down your life, ambitions, comfort, etc. for the good of your fellow mortal.

That is a mortal concept. If a dovah were to see one of his bretheren about to die, I feel he would just kill him himself and take his soul and power for his own purposes. 

"Onikaan ni ov dovah. It is always wise to mistrust a dovah."

However, I myself think that would be a good word. So I looked at it like this. Dov would think it to be a mortal concept, and a foolish one at that. They only have a love for power and themselves. Anything else is useless.

Meyzahrahmiik, or "Fool's/Foolish sacrifice", seems apropriate.

by Mulhahlor
September 1, 2014
Phelan1019

I made this thread for the purpose of creating a word in Dovahzul for this Latin word: Agape. In English, this is Self-sacrificing love, the willingness to lay down your life, ambitions, comfort, etc. for the good of your fellow mortal.

That is a mortal concept. If a dovah were to see one of his bretheren about to die, I feel he would just kill him himself and take his soul and power for his own purposes. 

However, I myself think that would be a good word. So I looked at it like this. Dov would think it to be a mortal concept, and a foolish one at that. They only have a love for power and themselves. Anything else is useless.

Mahlaansaviik
September 1, 2014
Phelan1019

You could also work with the word 'altruism', for anyone trying to translate. From what I can tell, they mean the same thing. Actually, after googling, it seems that 'agape' has the connotation of being "self-sacrificing love akin to the love the Judeo-Christian God has for mankind". But from a translating pov, they should both suffice imo.

But I like Mulhahlor's idea, mu los do gein Thu'um, it does put self-sacrifice into a dovah's perspective quite well.

by Mahlaansaviik
September 1, 2014
Phelan1019

You could also work with the word 'altruism', for anyone trying to translate. From what I can tell, they mean the same thing. Actually, after googling, it seems that 'agape' has the connotation of being "self-sacrificing love akin to the love the Judeo-Christian God has for mankind". But from a translating pov, they should both suffice imo.

But I like Mulhahlor's idea, mu los do gein Thu'um, it does put self-sacrifice into a dovah's perspective quite well.

Phelan1019
September 2, 2014
Mahlaansaviik
Phelan1019

Actually, after googling, it seems that 'agape' has the connotation of being "self-sacrificing love akin to the love the Judeo-Christian God has for mankind". 

Exactly! This is the kind of love that Christ ordered us to emulate. We must love our fellow people the way that God loves us. That's my philosophy, anyway.

by Phelan1019
September 2, 2014
Mahlaansaviik
Phelan1019

Actually, after googling, it seems that 'agape' has the connotation of being "self-sacrificing love akin to the love the Judeo-Christian God has for mankind". 

Exactly! This is the kind of love that Christ ordered us to emulate. We must love our fellow people the way that God loves us. That's my philosophy, anyway.

Mul klo riik
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

YES! But meyzahrahmiik just feels too large for something a dragon has such little thought on.

Hindjoor? Laat hind? Just throwing ideas, I'm thinking something more along the lines of, final foolish move, insignificant action, etc.

by Mul klo riik
September 5, 2014
Mulhahlor

YES! But meyzahrahmiik just feels too large for something a dragon has such little thought on.

Hindjoor? Laat hind? Just throwing ideas, I'm thinking something more along the lines of, final foolish move, insignificant action, etc.

Mulhahlor
September 6, 2014
Mul klo riik
Mulhahlor

Those seem good too, if only "sacrifice" wasn't so wordy! But if I had to pick, "Insignificant action" seems the best fit for a shorter version.

by Mulhahlor
September 6, 2014
Mul klo riik
Mulhahlor

Those seem good too, if only "sacrifice" wasn't so wordy! But if I had to pick, "Insignificant action" seems the best fit for a shorter version.

Phelan1019
September 6, 2014
Mulhahlor

Yes, this is a mortal concept, and it seems to be foolishness to many mortals as well as dovah. However, Paarthurnax may be the one dragon in Tamriel, as well as any who follow him, who might beleive in this. So, perhaps there can be two versions of the word, one version referring to it as foolish, and one honoring it. Personally, I beleive that self-sacrifice is the key to true and lasting hapiness. I mean, if you could buy happiness, then why do so many of the rich and famous turn to drugs or commit suicide, like Robin Williams.

by Phelan1019
September 6, 2014
Mulhahlor

Yes, this is a mortal concept, and it seems to be foolishness to many mortals as well as dovah. However, Paarthurnax may be the one dragon in Tamriel, as well as any who follow him, who might beleive in this. So, perhaps there can be two versions of the word, one version referring to it as foolish, and one honoring it. Personally, I beleive that self-sacrifice is the key to true and lasting hapiness. I mean, if you could buy happiness, then why do so many of the rich and famous turn to drugs or commit suicide, like Robin Williams.

Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014
Phelan1019
Mulhahlor

Yes, I like the idea of having multiple connotations of a word, after all, they would be in essence two different concepts. Before I buy into that idea though, do any of our other words have multiple versions in a similar fashion to what was suggested? I don't want to be the first to submit two translations for the same word.

by Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014
Phelan1019
Mulhahlor

Yes, I like the idea of having multiple connotations of a word, after all, they would be in essence two different concepts. Before I buy into that idea though, do any of our other words have multiple versions in a similar fashion to what was suggested? I don't want to be the first to submit two translations for the same word.

Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014

In the mean time, let's work both branches, in the end, we will either decide on a word, or have two. Agreed?

by Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014

In the mean time, let's work both branches, in the end, we will either decide on a word, or have two. Agreed?

Mulhahlor
September 7, 2014

Sounds good.

by Mulhahlor
September 7, 2014

Sounds good.

Aaliizah
September 9, 2014

What about something like joorzinmey -- "mortal honor fool," or some combination of the three -- or sahloblaan, meaning "weak end?" I, myself, am partial to the latter.

by Aaliizah
September 9, 2014

What about something like joorzinmey -- "mortal honor fool," or some combination of the three -- or sahloblaan, meaning "weak end?" I, myself, am partial to the latter.

Mul klo riik
September 10, 2014
Aaliizah

Joorzinmey seems to work, sahloblaan rolls of the tongue and sounds more natural for a dov. I want something that works like sahloblaan but doesn't feel, "sahlo" in origin. Good one though. *says word over and over to himself, sahloblaan*

by Mul klo riik
September 10, 2014
Aaliizah

Joorzinmey seems to work, sahloblaan rolls of the tongue and sounds more natural for a dov. I want something that works like sahloblaan but doesn't feel, "sahlo" in origin. Good one though. *says word over and over to himself, sahloblaan*

Aaliizah
September 10, 2014

Out of curiosity, why not sahlo?

by Aaliizah
September 10, 2014

Mulhahlor
September 10, 2014
Aaliizah

Because it's not just any fool, it's a specific case. At least, I think that's why.

by Mulhahlor
September 10, 2014
Aaliizah

Because it's not just any fool, it's a specific case. At least, I think that's why.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.