Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Fluency test

Mul klo riik
September 11, 2014

I beleive it was Foduiiz who mentioned this? Couldn't find a thread on this already so I made one. Anyways so I find it strange this doesn't already exist. I mean seriously, we can invent over fourty-five-hundred words but haven't made a system to keep track of how much we can actually use them? I just find it odd. What are your thoughts on this?

by Mul klo riik
September 11, 2014

I beleive it was Foduiiz who mentioned this? Couldn't find a thread on this already so I made one. Anyways so I find it strange this doesn't already exist. I mean seriously, we can invent over fourty-five-hundred words but haven't made a system to keep track of how much we can actually use them? I just find it odd. What are your thoughts on this?

Loniizrath
September 15, 2014

I've also proposed this on many occasions. I would love to see a fluency test added someday. Maybe also a list of fluent members, or maybe fluent members get a little badge on their profile or a star beside their name or something, I don't know. Of course, there would have to be anti-cheating systems in place.

by Loniizrath
September 15, 2014

I've also proposed this on many occasions. I would love to see a fluency test added someday. Maybe also a list of fluent members, or maybe fluent members get a little badge on their profile or a star beside their name or something, I don't know. Of course, there would have to be anti-cheating systems in place.

Zauniglom
September 18, 2014

Toxi, how would you manage that an anti-cheating system? The only thing I can think of is 30s/question and have the text written in a flash object so you can't copy it?

by Zauniglom
September 18, 2014

Toxi, how would you manage that an anti-cheating system? The only thing I can think of is 30s/question and have the text written in a flash object so you can't copy it?

Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Dinok

That would definitely help. it would be difficult to do, but procedurally generated challenges are a possibility. 

by Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Dinok

That would definitely help. it would be difficult to do, but procedurally generated challenges are a possibility. 

Ahmuldein
September 23, 2014

while taking the test the site could ban your whole account from using the translator until you are finished? 

by Ahmuldein
September 23, 2014

while taking the test the site could ban your whole account from using the translator until you are finished? 

Mul klo riik
September 23, 2014
Ahmuldein

The problem comes with opening multiple tabs, or if you found out how to block that, your phone. Sadly, the best way I can think of would be to have a physical location we would go to.

by Mul klo riik
September 23, 2014
Ahmuldein

The problem comes with opening multiple tabs, or if you found out how to block that, your phone. Sadly, the best way I can think of would be to have a physical location we would go to.

Foduiiz
September 23, 2014

I think you're all missing the point.

The test doesn't have to reward you with bragging rights and gold and fancy flair. Personally I think a lot of us, including myself, would like a fluency test for the purpose of self-assessment. It should be a way to gauge your progress and find weak areas on which to improve. 

Of course, there's no way to stop those who feel the need to cheat from cheating. But it's not a competition until you make it one. If we remove the benefits of passing said test, we remove the need to cheat. 

When you think about it: You actually benefit more from failing the test, because you know what you're doing wrong and how to improve. If you pass 100%, regardless of legitimacy, that score doesn't help you. 

That's the way I see it anyway. 

by Foduiiz
September 23, 2014

The test doesn't have to reward you with bragging rights and gold and fancy flair. Personally I think a lot of us, including myself, would like a fluency test for the purpose of self-assessment. It should be a way to gauge your progress and find weak areas on which to improve. 

Of course, there's no way to stop those who feel the need to cheat from cheating. But it's not a competition until you make it one. If we remove the benefits of passing said test, we remove the need to cheat. 

When you think about it: You actually benefit more from failing the test, because you know what you're doing wrong and how to improve. If you pass 100%, regardless of legitimacy, that score doesn't help you. 

Paaljurzind
September 23, 2014
Foduiiz

Couldn't agree more.

by Paaljurzind
September 23, 2014
Foduiiz

Couldn't agree more.

Mul klo riik
September 24, 2014
Foduiiz

Yeah good point, I mean it really isn't for a grade. We're not gonna fail a class or anything.

by Mul klo riik
September 24, 2014
Foduiiz

Yeah good point, I mean it really isn't for a grade. We're not gonna fail a class or anything.

Loniizrath
September 30, 2014
Foduiiz

Yeah, that's a good point. Remove the initiative to cheat, and people won't. Which is probably why no one cheats on Memrise courses.
by Loniizrath
September 30, 2014
Foduiiz

Yeah, that's a good point. Remove the initiative to cheat, and people won't. Which is probably why no one cheats on Memrise courses.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.