Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Revision of Object Pronouns

Foduiiz
September 21, 2014

Drem yol lok.

The first person singular accusative pronoun is a grey area in Dovahzul. For non-linguist folk, that's the word for "me".

Non-canon zey was invented for this purpose, but in a canon only setting there are several options: The nominative equivalent Zu'u or the somewhat tricky Dovah. Both of these are difficult to use and understand, which becomes a problem when using the language.

My suggestion is to use the possessive pronouns or suffixes with the word maar (terror) to refer to oneself, or any person for that matter.

• Maari or Dii maar as the first person Me

"Ofar maari midrotiil"

Meaning "Give me your loyalty", or more literally "Give my terror your loyalty"

We can address a Dovah's terror as we do a monarch's highness. In other words, we address a dragon as His terror in the same way we address the queen as Her highness.

• Maariil or Hin maar, your terror as You
  • Maarii, his/her/its terror as Him/her/it
  • Maaru or Un maar, our terror as Us

Words such as maariil when we already have hi can be alternatives.

Using this, we can fill the gaps in the object/accusatives pronoun table. Where we have canon possessives, we can have adapted canon accusatives.

How about this? What are your thoughts?

by Foduiiz
September 21, 2014

Drem yol lok.

The first person singular accusative pronoun is a grey area in Dovahzul. For non-linguist folk, that's the word for "me".

Non-canon zey was invented for this purpose, but in a canon only setting there are several options: The nominative equivalent Zu'u or the somewhat tricky Dovah. Both of these are difficult to use and understand, which becomes a problem when using the language.

My suggestion is to use the possessive pronouns or suffixes with the word maar (terror) to refer to oneself, or any person for that matter.

• Maari or Dii maar as the first person Me

"Ofar maari midrotiil"

Meaning "Give me your loyalty", or more literally "Give my terror your loyalty"

We can address a Dovah's terror as we do a monarch's highness. In other words, we address a dragon as His terror in the same way we address the queen as Her highness.

• Maariil or Hin maar, your terror as You
  • Maarii, his/her/its terror as Him/her/it
  • Maaru or Un maar, our terror as Us

Words such as maariil when we already have hi can be alternatives.

Using this, we can fill the gaps in the object/accusatives pronoun table. Where we have canon possessives, we can have adapted canon accusatives.

How about this? What are your thoughts?

Mul klo riik
September 21, 2014

Just for the sake of the people who weren't on the community wall at the time of this conversation, the problem occured when Paarthurnax brought up the sentence, "Lokan hi maar?" (Do you love terror?)  In this event, it does not make much sense.

by Mul klo riik
September 21, 2014

Just for the sake of the people who weren't on the community wall at the time of this conversation, the problem occured when Paarthurnax brought up the sentence, "Lokan hi maar?" (Do you love terror?)  In this event, it does not make much sense.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.