Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul homophones?

DovahKiinZaan
September 24, 2014

I haven't encountered any, but some people here are more experienced. Does the dragon language have homophones?

by DovahKiinZaan
September 24, 2014

I haven't encountered any, but some people here are more experienced. Does the dragon language have homophones?

hiith
September 24, 2014

Some true homophones are nii and ni, nin and niin, or zin and ziin (though a glottal stop could be added to ii), but some words can be confusingly close, such as nahkriin and ahkrin, hon and hun, kiin and kiim, or faaz and faas.

by hiith
September 24, 2014

Some true homophones are nii and ni, nin and niin, or zin and ziin (though a glottal stop could be added to ii), but some words can be confusingly close, such as nahkriin and ahkrin, hon and hun, kiin and kiim, or faaz and faas.

DovahKiinZaan
September 25, 2014
hiith

I've always assumed that the 'I I' was pronounced differently to 'i'

by DovahKiinZaan
September 25, 2014
hiith

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 25, 2014
DovaKiinZaan
hiith

It's typically pronounced the same (like the "ee" in "keen"). In rare circumstances "i" will be pronounced short like the "i" in "hit", and as hiith pointed out, in even more rare cases "ii" can be pronounced with a glotal stop.

by paarthurnax
September 25, 2014
DovaKiinZaan
hiith

It's typically pronounced the same (like the "ee" in "keen"). In rare circumstances "i" will be pronounced short like the "i" in "hit", and as hiith pointed out, in even more rare cases "ii" can be pronounced with a glotal stop.

DovahKiinZaan
September 25, 2014

Learn something everyday 

by DovahKiinZaan
September 25, 2014

Learn something everyday 

Mul klo riik
October 2, 2014

DOV4 K3N

DOV 4 K3N

4RK

DO V4 K3N

What if I want to say dragonborn? What if I want to say born to hunt dragons? What if I want to say my birthday's in Spring?

by Mul klo riik
October 2, 2014

DOV4 K3N

DOV 4 K3N

4RK

DO V4 K3N

What if I want to say dragonborn? What if I want to say born to hunt dragons? What if I want to say my birthday's in Spring?

paarthurnax
Administrator
October 3, 2014
Mul klo riik

DOV4 K3N

DOV 4 K3N

4RK

DO V4 K3N

This mixup isn't really possible in actual sentences.

Zu'u dovahkiin "I am the dragonborn."

Zu'u kiin wah ah dovah "I am born to hunt dragons."

Zu'u lost kiin ko vah "I was born in spring."

by paarthurnax
October 3, 2014
Mul klo riik

DOV4 K3N

DOV 4 K3N

4RK

DO V4 K3N

This mixup isn't really possible in actual sentences.

Zu'u dovahkiin "I am the dragonborn."

Zu'u kiin wah ah dovah "I am born to hunt dragons."

Zu'u lost kiin ko vah "I was born in spring."

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.