Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

What language is the word "mer"?

scrptrx
May 24, 2013

If in the game the Cyrodiilic word for "elf" is just "elf" in whatever language you play in, is "mer" (Bosmer = Wood Elf/Folk) a Mer word?

Like, would a Nord say, "He's a Bosmer - a Wood Elf"?

by scrptrx
May 24, 2013

If in the game the Cyrodiilic word for "elf" is just "elf" in whatever language you play in, is "mer" (Bosmer = Wood Elf/Folk) a Mer word?

Like, would a Nord say, "He's a Bosmer - a Wood Elf"?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 24, 2013

According to this page, the word "Mer" is Aldmeris and potentially Ehlnofex.  Bosmer, Orsimer, etc. would be the formal names while Wood Elf, Orc, etc. would be the Cyrodillic names.  I think you see the formal versions a lot because that's what they call themselves, plus the alternative might be seen as rude.

by paarthurnax
May 24, 2013

According to this page, the word "Mer" is Aldmeris and potentially Ehlnofex.  Bosmer, Orsimer, etc. would be the formal names while Wood Elf, Orc, etc. would be the Cyrodillic names.  I think you see the formal versions a lot because that's what they call themselves, plus the alternative might be seen as rude.

scrptrx
May 25, 2013

Oh thanks, I'm going to bookmark that page now. I couldn't find it. That makes sense, then.

by scrptrx
May 25, 2013

Oh thanks, I'm going to bookmark that page now. I couldn't find it. That makes sense, then.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.