Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Lexical Gaps

Sosurikrath
November 21, 2014

Lexical gaps are words that aren't easily translated into your own tongue. Like the Spanish word sobremesa, the time spent talking after a meal. Should dovahzul have it's own words like that one? And if so, how will we form them?

by Sosurikrath
November 21, 2014

Lexical gaps are words that aren't easily translated into your own tongue. Like the Spanish word sobremesa, the time spent talking after a meal. Should dovahzul have it's own words like that one? And if so, how will we form them?

Foduiiz
November 22, 2014

Relevant 

by Foduiiz
November 22, 2014

Relevant 

DovahKiinZaan
November 23, 2014

I think it's a great concept that will bulk the dictionary. 

by DovahKiinZaan
November 23, 2014

I think it's a great concept that will bulk the dictionary. 

Sosurikrath
November 23, 2014

What kind of terms would a Dovah use though? What would the culture of immortal semi-tyrants use? 

by Sosurikrath
November 23, 2014

What kind of terms would a Dovah use though? What would the culture of immortal semi-tyrants use? 

DovahKiinZaan
November 24, 2014
Sosurikrath

Maybe something like 'the insight of the future, or avakvenetesiid.'

The word Venetesiid is an example of lexical gaps, it means 'the currents of time.'

by DovahKiinZaan
November 24, 2014
Sosurikrath

The word Venetesiid is an example of lexical gaps, it means 'the currents of time.'

Loniizrath
December 7, 2014
DovahKiinZaan
Sosurikrath

*Vennesetiid

by Loniizrath
December 7, 2014
DovahKiinZaan
Sosurikrath

*Vennesetiid

Kahdremonik
December 8, 2014

Perhaps using "supper break speak" as a semi-lexicalized phrase, similar to how "burrito" has been fully lexicalized into English from originally meaning "little donkey" into "that one thing you eat at Taco Bell."

by Kahdremonik
December 8, 2014

Perhaps using "supper break speak" as a semi-lexicalized phrase, similar to how "burrito" has been fully lexicalized into English from originally meaning "little donkey" into "that one thing you eat at Taco Bell."

Aaliizah
December 18, 2014

Love this idea. I would say that the first and foremost concept we should try to... hmm... encompass? define? communicate? with a dovah rot should definitely have to do with time. I remember Paarthurnax struggling to explain what happened at the Monahven when the ancient Nord heroes cast Alduin adrift on the vennesetiid, how time was sundered. He told us that the dov have words for such concepts that mortals do not. I say that this is where we should start, considering how intrinsic time is to the dov.

by Aaliizah
December 18, 2014

Love this idea. I would say that the first and foremost concept we should try to... hmm... encompass? define? communicate? with a dovah rot should definitely have to do with time. I remember Paarthurnax struggling to explain what happened at the Monahven when the ancient Nord heroes cast Alduin adrift on the vennesetiid, how time was sundered. He told us that the dov have words for such concepts that mortals do not. I say that this is where we should start, considering how intrinsic time is to the dov.

LordRorek
December 28, 2014

how about the feeling of flying surely a Dov would have a word for that or how about the word for a debate or Dovahzul Combat thats another one.

by LordRorek
December 28, 2014

how about the feeling of flying surely a Dov would have a word for that or how about the word for a debate or Dovahzul Combat thats another one.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.