Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Agreed-upon Canon Alternatives to Noncanon Things

Foduiiz
November 23, 2014

I'm making this thread for the purpose of coming up with and agreeing on canon alternatives or close synonyms for the huge non-canon lexicon we've accumulated over the last couple of years or so. By expanding canon semantics we can stay closer to the real Thu'um of the Dov. 

I'll start: The prefixes ge- and ver- can be substituted with 'nos', 'strike'. For example: 'wah gefaas', 'to frighten' can be 'wah nos faas', 'to strike fear'. 

Let's discuss. 

by Foduiiz
November 23, 2014

I'm making this thread for the purpose of coming up with and agreeing on canon alternatives or close synonyms for the huge non-canon lexicon we've accumulated over the last couple of years or so. By expanding canon semantics we can stay closer to the real Thu'um of the Dov. 

I'll start: The prefixes ge- and ver- can be substituted with 'nos', 'strike'. For example: 'wah gefaas', 'to frighten' can be 'wah nos faas', 'to strike fear'. 

Let's discuss. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 24, 2014

I have an in-progress thesaurus that's aimed exactly at what you're describing. It contains canon words only and lists closest canon equivalents for a number of English words, ideally as many as we have non-canon words for, if not more. I'm about halfway done, but haven't had a chance to work on it in a while.

by paarthurnax
November 24, 2014

I have an in-progress thesaurus that's aimed exactly at what you're describing. It contains canon words only and lists closest canon equivalents for a number of English words, ideally as many as we have non-canon words for, if not more. I'm about halfway done, but haven't had a chance to work on it in a while.

Foduiiz
November 24, 2014

Oh cool! Well hopefully this thread can help contribute to that. I was planning on coming up with a big list but I'll only be overlapping with what you've already done in your thesaurus. 

Will you share it with the community? That way we can all chip in wihout repeats. Maybe a shared google doc or something. Of course you could approve of suggestions and whatnot. Unless you wanted to do the whole thing yourself?

by Foduiiz
November 24, 2014

Oh cool! Well hopefully this thread can help contribute to that. I was planning on coming up with a big list but I'll only be overlapping with what you've already done in your thesaurus. 

Will you share it with the community? That way we can all chip in wihout repeats. Maybe a shared google doc or something. Of course you could approve of suggestions and whatnot. Unless you wanted to do the whole thing yourself?

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 25, 2014

I'd be more than happy to share it. Right now I have it set up as a mini version of this site but I could definitely put a Google doc together.

The files are on a different computer that I won't have access to until next week. If I forget to, bump this thread and I'll throw a link to the doc here.

by paarthurnax
November 25, 2014

I'd be more than happy to share it. Right now I have it set up as a mini version of this site but I could definitely put a Google doc together.

The files are on a different computer that I won't have access to until next week. If I forget to, bump this thread and I'll throw a link to the doc here.

Foduiiz
November 25, 2014

Geh, mu los do gein Thu'um.

by Foduiiz
November 25, 2014

Geh, mu los do gein Thu'um.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 30, 2014

Here's a link to a Google doc of the thesaurus so far. There's bound to be a bunch of duplicate entries, so ignore those for now. Some "equivalents" are going to be closer than others. For example, "aspire" is pretty close to hahnu "dream," hind "wish," and paar "ambition," but "depict" is really only related to fiik "mirror" if fiik was to be used in a metaphorical way. I aim to be as extensive as possible.

by paarthurnax
November 30, 2014

Here's a link to a Google doc of the thesaurus so far. There's bound to be a bunch of duplicate entries, so ignore those for now. Some "equivalents" are going to be closer than others. For example, "aspire" is pretty close to hahnu "dream," hind "wish," and paar "ambition," but "depict" is really only related to fiik "mirror" if fiik was to be used in a metaphorical way. I aim to be as extensive as possible.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.