Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Planning for 2015

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 30, 2014

Over the past few years I've been largely winging it, so to speak, as far as updates, contests, and other content goes. This worked well when I had a lot of free time on my hands. Over the past year, I've become increasingly busy with other aspects of life. And while this is not likely to change, I've put together an outline to deliver new content and activities to you all on a much more consistent basis.

Monthly Plan

My goal with this outline is to have something new on the homepage every week. Each month will follow a 4-week cycle that looks something like this:

• Week 1 - Contest / Jarl's Bounty
  • Week 2 - Featured Word
  • Week 3 - Featured Author
  • Week 4 - Featured Work / Contest Results

Week 1

Contests and Jarl's Bounties will be bi-monthly, alternating from month to month. This means by the end of 2015, we will have had six contests and six Jarl's Bounties. Contests will be open for three weeks, and results will be posted Week 4. Jarl's Bounties will most likely appear on weekends.

Week 2

Week 2 will feature a selected word from the dictionary. Some featured words might be canon, some might be community-made. I'll highlight things such as pronunciation, etymology, and any specific meaning a word may have.

Week 3

When the site first started, I used to interview active members of the community and feature the interview on the front page. I've heard that's something people would be interested in seeing again, so Week 3 of the month will be dedicated to showcasing the diverse community we have here.

Week 4

If there was a contest in Week 1, the contest results will be posted Week 4. Otherwise, I'll be posting a featured work. Featured works will be something Dovahzul-related made by either someone in the community or somewhere else on the internet. If you know of anything you think should be featured, feel free to send a message my way.

Social Media

I have also toyed with the thought of starting an "official" Twitter. I think Twitter would be a great way to post content on a more regular basis and involve people in a low-effort way. My current plan would be to make posts every other weekday. Weeks would alternate between Monday-Wednesday-Friday posts and Tuesday-Thursday posts. Each day would have a theme or topic:

• Mentor Monday - advice, tips, or tricks for learning the language
  • Translation Tuesday - a sentence in Dovahzul for people to practice translating
  • Word Wednesday - a featured word and definition from the dictionary
  • Thu'um Thursday - a fun fact about a random Shout from Skyrim
  • Phrase Friday - a featured Dovahzul phrase and translation

Of course, there are the existing Facebook and Tumblr pages. There is already an audience on Facebook and Tumblr, so it might make more sense to focus on those than start a new social media page. Tumblr has been pretty informal so far, and I think it'll remain that way with occassional featured words, updates, and reblogs of pretty screenshots.

Eyes Ahead

In addition to the above will be your regular site updates and big content pieces. I've put together a list of potential future content, either things that I'm working on or things that the community has thought of. Some might be small or huge, some might be in progres or just ideas at this point. Some may happen, some may not. In any case, here's the list:

• Numbers lesson
  • Canon Memrise course*
  • Canon thesaurus*
  • The Labyrinth II
  • Translation projects
  • Podcasts
  • New literature
  • Learning Dovahzul 2nd Edition*
  • Lore lessons
  • German lessons*
  • Fluency test
  • The Dungeon* (super-secret project)

* in-progress

If there are any of these you're really excited for or interested in, let me know!

Any feedback you might have on any of the above outline will be greatly appreciated. I don't have as much time to dedicate to the site as used to, but I do want to make the most of it. Here's looking to 2015! Pruzah wundunne.

by paarthurnax
November 30, 2014

Over the past few years I've been largely winging it, so to speak, as far as updates, contests, and other content goes. This worked well when I had a lot of free time on my hands. Over the past year, I've become increasingly busy with other aspects of life. And while this is not likely to change, I've put together an outline to deliver new content and activities to you all on a much more consistent basis.

Monthly Plan

My goal with this outline is to have something new on the homepage every week. Each month will follow a 4-week cycle that looks something like this:

• Week 1 - Contest / Jarl's Bounty
  • Week 2 - Featured Word
  • Week 3 - Featured Author
  • Week 4 - Featured Work / Contest Results

Week 1

Contests and Jarl's Bounties will be bi-monthly, alternating from month to month. This means by the end of 2015, we will have had six contests and six Jarl's Bounties. Contests will be open for three weeks, and results will be posted Week 4. Jarl's Bounties will most likely appear on weekends.

Week 2

Week 2 will feature a selected word from the dictionary. Some featured words might be canon, some might be community-made. I'll highlight things such as pronunciation, etymology, and any specific meaning a word may have.

Week 3

When the site first started, I used to interview active members of the community and feature the interview on the front page. I've heard that's something people would be interested in seeing again, so Week 3 of the month will be dedicated to showcasing the diverse community we have here.

Week 4

If there was a contest in Week 1, the contest results will be posted Week 4. Otherwise, I'll be posting a featured work. Featured works will be something Dovahzul-related made by either someone in the community or somewhere else on the internet. If you know of anything you think should be featured, feel free to send a message my way.

Social Media

I have also toyed with the thought of starting an "official" Twitter. I think Twitter would be a great way to post content on a more regular basis and involve people in a low-effort way. My current plan would be to make posts every other weekday. Weeks would alternate between Monday-Wednesday-Friday posts and Tuesday-Thursday posts. Each day would have a theme or topic:

• Mentor Monday - advice, tips, or tricks for learning the language
  • Translation Tuesday - a sentence in Dovahzul for people to practice translating
  • Word Wednesday - a featured word and definition from the dictionary
  • Thu'um Thursday - a fun fact about a random Shout from Skyrim
  • Phrase Friday - a featured Dovahzul phrase and translation

Of course, there are the existing Facebook and Tumblr pages. There is already an audience on Facebook and Tumblr, so it might make more sense to focus on those than start a new social media page. Tumblr has been pretty informal so far, and I think it'll remain that way with occassional featured words, updates, and reblogs of pretty screenshots.

Eyes Ahead

In addition to the above will be your regular site updates and big content pieces. I've put together a list of potential future content, either things that I'm working on or things that the community has thought of. Some might be small or huge, some might be in progres or just ideas at this point. Some may happen, some may not. In any case, here's the list:

• Numbers lesson
  • Canon Memrise course*
  • Canon thesaurus*
  • The Labyrinth II
  • Translation projects
  • Podcasts
  • New literature
  • Learning Dovahzul 2nd Edition*
  • Lore lessons
  • German lessons*
  • Fluency test
  • The Dungeon* (super-secret project)

* in-progress

If there are any of these you're really excited for or interested in, let me know!

Any feedback you might have on any of the above outline will be greatly appreciated. I don't have as much time to dedicate to the site as used to, but I do want to make the most of it. Here's looking to 2015! Pruzah wundunne.

Ahmuldein
November 30, 2014

Wow! Thanks for posting this! Cant wait

by Ahmuldein
November 30, 2014

Wow! Thanks for posting this! Cant wait

hiith
November 30, 2014

Can we finally do this:

http://thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=333

I know it was posted on April first, but I actually was serious!

by hiith
November 30, 2014

Can we finally do this:

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 1, 2014
hiith

Can we finally do this:

Yes, we can finally do this!

by paarthurnax
December 1, 2014
hiith

Can we finally do this:

Yes, we can finally do this!

DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

This sounds awesome...

by DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

This sounds awesome...

DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

This sounds awesome...

by DovahKiinZaan
December 5, 2014

This sounds awesome...

Rahvaatzul
December 9, 2014

A sequal to The Labyrinth? Awesome!

by Rahvaatzul
December 9, 2014

A sequal to The Labyrinth? Awesome!

dovahnite
December 17, 2014

Would "featured work" include things like artwork, and stuff, or more like essays and songs written/translated to Dovahzul?

by dovahnite
December 17, 2014

Would "featured work" include things like artwork, and stuff, or more like essays and songs written/translated to Dovahzul?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 17, 2014
dovahnite

It could include artwork as well. Anything that uses Dovahzul in some way, even just a word or two.

by paarthurnax
December 17, 2014
dovahnite

It could include artwork as well. Anything that uses Dovahzul in some way, even just a word or two.

BoDuSil
January 15, 2015

Awesome. It sounds amazing. Glad i joined this week!

by BoDuSil
January 15, 2015

Awesome. It sounds amazing. Glad i joined this week!

Loniizrath
March 31, 2015

Some features that I think should be added to the site.

A little part of the member profiles that say when a member was last online, if they're currently online, and what they're doing if online.

POLLS!! I haven't talked to a single person who doesn't want this to be put in.

by Loniizrath
March 31, 2015

Some features that I think should be added to the site.

A little part of the member profiles that say when a member was last online, if they're currently online, and what they're doing if online.

POLLS!! I haven't talked to a single person who doesn't want this to be put in.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.