Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Skaal

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Right, the nords are based off of the Scandinavian nords? And the Skaal the Icelandic people. 

Icelandic played a big part into building the dragon language, and the Skaal seem to resemble the Inuits. 

Is there any canon mention of the Skaal's impression on Dovahzul?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Right, the nords are based off of the Scandinavian nords? And the Skaal the Icelandic people. 

Icelandic played a big part into building the dragon language, and the Skaal seem to resemble the Inuits. 

Is there any canon mention of the Skaal's impression on Dovahzul?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014

The Skaal do have close ties to the Dragon Cult. They were at one point ruled by Vahlok the Jailor, who was the dragon priest who first defeated Miraak.

I can't recall any mentions specifically about the language. Perhaps there's a piece of it buried in the shaman's knowledge. I don't think there's any indication that the modern Skaal are familiar with Dovahzul.

It's possible the name "Skaal" was originally a Dovahzul word of some kind.

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014

The Skaal do have close ties to the Dragon Cult. They were at one point ruled by Vahlok the Jailor, who was the dragon priest who first defeated Miraak.

I can't recall any mentions specifically about the language. Perhaps there's a piece of it buried in the shaman's knowledge. I don't think there's any indication that the modern Skaal are familiar with Dovahzul.

It's possible the name "Skaal" was originally a Dovahzul word of some kind.

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Am I wrong by saying that the ancient nords influenced dovahzul like the dragons influenced Nordic? Also it has been observed that the ancient nords can speak dovahzul, but not cyrodillic, obviously going back to the dragon war.

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Am I wrong by saying that the ancient nords influenced dovahzul like the dragons influenced Nordic? Also it has been observed that the ancient nords can speak dovahzul, but not cyrodillic, obviously going back to the dragon war.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

I think there were influences both ways. Dovahzul probably took on a number of Nordic words for things dragons wouldn't naturally have (for example, words for "house" or "husband"), and Nordic likely adopted a number of Dovahzul words for religious or martial use.

The Cyrodiilic language didn't exist until much later.

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

I think there were influences both ways. Dovahzul probably took on a number of Nordic words for things dragons wouldn't naturally have (for example, words for "house" or "husband"), and Nordic likely adopted a number of Dovahzul words for religious or martial use.

The Cyrodiilic language didn't exist until much later.

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

If we examine other languages, example English, misuse often leads to evolution, so by people misusing old English it became what it is today. The Nordic people could very well have passed on mispronunciations or something like that to the dragons.

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

If we examine other languages, example English, misuse often leads to evolution, so by people misusing old English it became what it is today. The Nordic people could very well have passed on mispronunciations or something like that to the dragons.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014

Yes, one example would be the Nordic name "Hroldan" and the dragon name "Ahroldan." Either the Nordic name is a mispronunciation of the dragon name, or vice versa.

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014

Yes, one example would be the Nordic name "Hroldan" and the dragon name "Ahroldan." Either the Nordic name is a mispronunciation of the dragon name, or vice versa.

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

That's why I was so sharp on the word Dalk. Back to the Skaal, so des that mean that maybe influences like Vahlok and Miraak could've swayed both languages?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

That's why I was so sharp on the word Dalk. Back to the Skaal, so des that mean that maybe influences like Vahlok and Miraak could've swayed both languages?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Yes, the Dragon Cult would have been the bridge between the two languages. So it's possible that dalk is a word in the dragon language too (we've unofficially made it one).

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Yes, the Dragon Cult would have been the bridge between the two languages. So it's possible that dalk is a word in the dragon language too (we've unofficially made it one).

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

We can see that the language has changed, were the word walks mortal creations? I have just saw something.

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

We can see that the language has changed, were the word walks mortal creations? I have just saw something.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Yes, the Word Walls were made by the Nords, not dragons.

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Yes, the Word Walls were made by the Nords, not dragons.

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

So is it possible that Hin and Him could possibly be the result of a mortal spelling mistake?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

So is it possible that Hin and Him could possibly be the result of a mortal spelling mistake?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

If it were the Nords using him, then I would say so, but both hin and him are used by dragons. Here's some more I wrote on that specific subject.

by paarthurnax
December 14, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

If it were the Nords using him, then I would say so, but both hin and him are used by dragons. Here's some more I wrote on that specific subject.

DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Ah yes, and there is no word walls which contain him, only a few with hin

by DovahKiinZaan
December 14, 2014

Ah yes, and there is no word walls which contain him, only a few with hin

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.