A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dragon-Tongue flag?

1  2  3  5  6  7  8 > >>  

hiith
December 27, 2014

EDIT:

Congradulations to skreborn, who made a flag that was better than yours.

Flags are used to represent languages visually (though a web-search can show that plenty of people are against it (a point of view which I disagree with)), but we can't use a country's flag to represent the Dragon Language of TES, because it is not the primary language of a country (ficticious or otherwise), nor does it originate from any specific country. In short, the Dragon Tongue is not associated with any image, be it fictional or otherwise, as is Klingon:

missing image

This is an issue of quite a few constructed languages, but they can simply construct images that represent the language, like Toki Pona and its image:

So here's my question, and my challenge:

What image shall we use to represent this language?

I want us to create such an image. If it were up to me, I'd have lime-green "D" on a black background ("D" for "Dov" and colors because they are awesome)(but the "official" flag shouldn't use Bethesda's font, in fear of copyright). Like this:

I can't assume that anyone would take a liking to my idea, so what do you guys think that it should be? Remember, the goal of this thread is to reach an agreed final design, and for it to be used.

My sincere apologies if this has been discussed before.

EDIT: Here's the best icon that we have so-far:

by hiith
December 27, 2014

EDIT:

Congradulations to skreborn, who made a flag that was better than yours.

Flags are used to represent languages visually (though a web-search can show that plenty of people are against it (a point of view which I disagree with)), but we can't use a country's flag to represent the Dragon Language of TES, because it is not the primary language of a country (ficticious or otherwise), nor does it originate from any specific country. In short, the Dragon Tongue is not associated with any image, be it fictional or otherwise, as is Klingon:

missing image

This is an issue of quite a few constructed languages, but they can simply construct images that represent the language, like Toki Pona and its image:

So here's my question, and my challenge:

What image shall we use to represent this language?

I want us to create such an image. If it were up to me, I'd have lime-green "D" on a black background ("D" for "Dov" and colors because they are awesome)(but the "official" flag shouldn't use Bethesda's font, in fear of copyright). Like this:

I can't assume that anyone would take a liking to my idea, so what do you guys think that it should be? Remember, the goal of this thread is to reach an agreed final design, and for it to be used.

My sincere apologies if this has been discussed before.

EDIT: Here's the best icon that we have so-far:

Kosenu
December 27, 2014

I think we'd probably want a rune A, since that is also what the site uses. As for colours, it seems logical to me to make them stick to the grayish theme of Skyrim. If that would look too depressing, I'd root for black letters on a spring sky blue background.

by Kosenu
December 27, 2014

I think we'd probably want a rune A, since that is also what the site uses. As for colours, it seems logical to me to make them stick to the grayish theme of Skyrim. If that would look too depressing, I'd root for black letters on a spring sky blue background.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014

Neat idea! I agree with Kosenu that the flag should use the Skyrim colors, silver on black or silver on dark gray. If any color is used, I think the bright blue of a glowing word of power would be most fitting.

This is actually a situation where I think using the official font would be best, if our goal is to make an "official" flag. Otherwise I'd like to see an alternative letter design that's more sharp and angular than round and curved.

To be honest, the A rune is a bit arbitrary. I think D works just as well. In my head, my ideal flag is a silver D in a dark gray diamond. Something that would look good on a T-shirt or on the spine of a book. I'll see if I can put something together the next time I'm at the computer.
by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014

Neat idea! I agree with Kosenu that the flag should use the Skyrim colors, silver on black or silver on dark gray. If any color is used, I think the bright blue of a glowing word of power would be most fitting.

This is actually a situation where I think using the official font would be best, if our goal is to make an "official" flag. Otherwise I'd like to see an alternative letter design that's more sharp and angular than round and curved.

To be honest, the A rune is a bit arbitrary. I think D works just as well. In my head, my ideal flag is a silver D in a dark gray diamond. Something that would look good on a T-shirt or on the spine of a book. I'll see if I can put something together the next time I'm at the computer.

hiith
December 28, 2014
paarthurnax

In my head, my ideal flag is a silver D in a dark gray diamond.

What if, in the stead of a diamond, a cartoonish word-wall was used?

by hiith
December 28, 2014
paarthurnax

In my head, my ideal flag is a silver D in a dark gray diamond.

What if, in the stead of a diamond, a cartoonish word-wall was used?

LordRorek
December 28, 2014

Hello I am very intrigued by this project and would like to help, you see I am a Vexillologist (Flag Designer/Studier) I design flags for fun and would like to offer my services, here is my deviant art page http://achaley.deviantart.com/

by LordRorek
December 28, 2014

Hello I am very intrigued by this project and would like to help, you see I am a Vexillologist (Flag Designer/Studier) I design flags for fun and would like to offer my services, here is my deviant art page http://achaley.deviantart.com/

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014

Here are some quick mockups I threw together:

The first set is the diamond flag, one with the official D and one with the official A. I think the D works better.

I played around with a custom character and liked what I came up with, so the rest of the flags use a simplified D rune.

I liked the Word Wall-like idea, so I made a flag that's concave like a wall, and an alternate version with black on the bottom to give it some depth. I then did flat versions of those too.

by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014

Here are some quick mockups I threw together:

The first set is the diamond flag, one with the official D and one with the official A. I think the D works better.

I played around with a custom character and liked what I came up with, so the rest of the flags use a simplified D rune.

I liked the Word Wall-like idea, so I made a flag that's concave like a wall, and an alternate version with black on the bottom to give it some depth. I then did flat versions of those too.

Ahmuldein
December 29, 2014

I assume that this is for Memrise?

by Ahmuldein
December 29, 2014

Kosenu
December 29, 2014
Ahmuldein

It's for general use, so yeah, also memrise. It's an image to represent the language, kinda.

by Kosenu
December 29, 2014
Ahmuldein

It's for general use, so yeah, also memrise. It's an image to represent the language, kinda.

LordRorek
December 29, 2014

here is my go at a dovahzul flag its symbol i combination of the symbol for D and Z the incials for Dovah-Zul the colors red and white represent fire and the sky

http://sta.sh/01cq7ei8lbrv

by LordRorek
December 29, 2014

here is my go at a dovahzul flag its symbol i combination of the symbol for D and Z the incials for Dovah-Zul the colors red and white represent fire and the sky

hiith
December 29, 2014
LordRorek

Sorry, but it just looks like a Z with a dot on top; it doesn't make much sense, visually. It'd be best to stick with actual letters.

I do like paarthurnax's concave icon, but if I can get to a suitable computer, I may try my hand at making a backing that looks a bit more like a word-wall, just to show how I imagine it to look.

by hiith
December 29, 2014
LordRorek

Sorry, but it just looks like a Z with a dot on top; it doesn't make much sense, visually. It'd be best to stick with actual letters.

I do like paarthurnax's concave icon, but if I can get to a suitable computer, I may try my hand at making a backing that looks a bit more like a word-wall, just to show how I imagine it to look.

hiith
December 30, 2014

How's this?

It's just a quick conceptual piece. I'm not sure if you can see it well on this dark back-ground, and I should have outlined the whole wall (it would look better, trust me), but here it is. I think that the wall should be more of a stone colour, and the "D" should be darker because of it.

by hiith
December 30, 2014

How's this?

It's just a quick conceptual piece. I'm not sure if you can see it well on this dark back-ground, and I should have outlined the whole wall (it would look better, trust me), but here it is. I think that the wall should be more of a stone colour, and the "D" should be darker because of it.

Kosenu
December 30, 2014
hiith

How's this?

Christ, that looks sexy. I'd go with a little less glow though, it's a bit overkill.

by Kosenu
December 30, 2014
hiith

How's this?

Christ, that looks sexy. I'd go with a little less glow though, it's a bit overkill.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014

I like the shape of both the flag and the letter. The glow really doesn't do it for me, though. I'd say remove it altogether or replace it with either a solid outline or a shape, like a circle or a diamond (the letter will have to be smaller). I'd also remove the two white stripes. I don't think they're necessary.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014

I like the shape of both the flag and the letter. The glow really doesn't do it for me, though. I'd say remove it altogether or replace it with either a solid outline or a shape, like a circle or a diamond (the letter will have to be smaller). I'd also remove the two white stripes. I don't think they're necessary.

hiith
December 30, 2014

Here's some adjustments:

missing image

^Plain wall

^with diamond

^with lines

^with dark lines

^light lines and diamond

I say that we keep the line; it differentiates between it being concave vs. convex (i. e. outward-facing scroll vs. inward-facing wall). I didn't include the glow here, but if I can find a good way to lessen it, then it might be good to keep. I also don't really think that a diamond is necessary; it doesn't really add any meaning nor is it needed visually. The one with dark lines seems the best to me, and it could be made into an SVG file, which would be ideal.

What do you guys think?

by hiith
December 30, 2014

Here's some adjustments:

missing image

^Plain wall

^with diamond

^with lines

^with dark lines

^light lines and diamond

I say that we keep the line; it differentiates between it being concave vs. convex (i. e. outward-facing scroll vs. inward-facing wall). I didn't include the glow here, but if I can find a good way to lessen it, then it might be good to keep. I also don't really think that a diamond is necessary; it doesn't really add any meaning nor is it needed visually. The one with dark lines seems the best to me, and it could be made into an SVG file, which would be ideal.

What do you guys think?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014

Wow, these look really nice, hiith. I actually don't mind the lines in any of the above. I like the version with dark lines best.

I made a version with a black diamond and blue rune just to see what it would look like. I still think I like it without the diamond best.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014

Wow, these look really nice, hiith. I actually don't mind the lines in any of the above. I like the version with dark lines best.

I made a version with a black diamond and blue rune just to see what it would look like. I still think I like it without the diamond best.

1  2  3  5  6  7  8 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.