Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Analysis of the language (and a blog)

hiith
January 10, 2015

I analysed draconic Dragon-Tongue and made a pdf: LINK

The list of examples in it might be helpful to some.

My analysis seems a bit short to me, so I may add to it eventually (though I know not what I would add).

I also made (well, I guess I'm making) a blog! And it is, at least to my knowledge, the first website that is mostly in the Dragon Language. Here it is: hiith.comlu.com (you may have noticed it in my bio).

I don't think it's that interesting, and it's pretty much just saying what I've done and what I'm doing in the Dragon Language, and also me playing around with web development. Just for fun, basicly.

Enjoy.

by hiith
January 10, 2015

I analysed draconic Dragon-Tongue and made a pdf: LINK

The list of examples in it might be helpful to some.

My analysis seems a bit short to me, so I may add to it eventually (though I know not what I would add).

I also made (well, I guess I'm making) a blog! And it is, at least to my knowledge, the first website that is mostly in the Dragon Language. Here it is: hiith.comlu.com (you may have noticed it in my bio).

I don't think it's that interesting, and it's pretty much just saying what I've done and what I'm doing in the Dragon Language, and also me playing around with web development. Just for fun, basicly.

Enjoy.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 10, 2015

This is very well put together! I've added both the paper and the blog to the Library.

Quick suggestion, perhaps list the quotes by number rather than by letter?

Something else I noticed is that the dragons don't distinguish between the comparative and superlative. From the dialogue file with Bethesda's translations:

• Dovahkiin zol(sic) mul. Zu'u gahvon miri Alduin. Dovahkiin is most strong (=stronger). I yield my allegiance (to) Alduin.

Note the typo, zol should be zok.

• Bo pruzaan. We shall fly. Bo pruzaan = "(To) fly (is) better"

So there's a lexical gap in being able to compare. "The Dragonborn is stronger than Alduin" would be Dovahkiin zok mul "Dovahkiin's the most strong."

by paarthurnax
January 10, 2015

This is very well put together! I've added both the paper and the blog to the Library.

Quick suggestion, perhaps list the quotes by number rather than by letter?

Something else I noticed is that the dragons don't distinguish between the comparative and superlative. From the dialogue file with Bethesda's translations:

• Dovahkiin zol(sic) mul. Zu'u gahvon miri Alduin. Dovahkiin is most strong (=stronger). I yield my allegiance (to) Alduin.

Note the typo, zol should be zok.

• Bo pruzaan. We shall fly. Bo pruzaan = "(To) fly (is) better"

So there's a lexical gap in being able to compare. "The Dragonborn is stronger than Alduin" would be Dovahkiin zok mul "Dovahkiin's the most strong."

hiith
January 10, 2015

I'll try to encorporate those suggestions, thanks.

by hiith
January 10, 2015

I'll try to encorporate those suggestions, thanks.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.