Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Any idioms in Dovahzul?

ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015

I am just curious if there are any off hand other than greetings (drem you lok or peace fire sky).

by ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015

I am just curious if there are any off hand other than greetings (drem you lok or peace fire sky).

BoDuSil
January 21, 2015

Word walls, definetly. There are english words left out, for example, the direct translation of the first word of fire breath (Yol) is: "Stone commemorate child king Jafnhar who has burn alive by fire of great dragon Lodunost" and according to our english standards, does not make sense.

by BoDuSil
January 21, 2015

Word walls, definetly. There are english words left out, for example, the direct translation of the first word of fire breath (Yol) is: "Stone commemorate child king Jafnhar who has burn alive by fire of great dragon Lodunost" and according to our english standards, does not make sense.

ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015
BoDuSil

Yes but that isn't exactly an idiom though an example would be some thing like in English we say "Take a nap" yet we dont litteraly "Take" it, or in French when you say how are you you say litterally "How do you go?" which doesn't make sense in English, or in English  we say we "lend a hand" but someone doesn't litterally borrow our hand. 

by ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015
BoDuSil

Yes but that isn't exactly an idiom though an example would be some thing like in English we say "Take a nap" yet we dont litteraly "Take" it, or in French when you say how are you you say litterally "How do you go?" which doesn't make sense in English, or in English  we say we "lend a hand" but someone doesn't litterally borrow our hand. 

Aaliizah
January 21, 2015
BoDuSil

While I agree that qethsegolle leave out a lot of articles and things like that, we can still understand what it's saying. In that regard, it does make sense. ZohiifDahrinZul was asking about idioms, which are defined as "a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs)", which I don't think is quite what you were thinking.

I'm thinking maybe "orin brit ro", the dovah phrase for irony, could count as an idiom? I mean, if someone told me that something I said had a "fully beautiful balance," I would be pretty confused.

The curse "faaz nah" might also be considered an idiom. "Pain, fury" doesn't literally mean damn you or make a whole lot of sense out of context; however, it does make more sense than orin brit ro. That would probably be our best bet, if I had to choose.

In all honesty, this is kind of difficult to answer. It's hard to tell whether some of these phrases I'm thinking of could actually be considered idioms or whether I should just chalk it up to the language difference. Hmph. Motmahus.

by Aaliizah
January 21, 2015
BoDuSil

While I agree that qethsegolle leave out a lot of articles and things like that, we can still understand what it's saying. In that regard, it does make sense. ZohiifDahrinZul was asking about idioms, which are defined as "a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs)", which I don't think is quite what you were thinking.

I'm thinking maybe "orin brit ro", the dovah phrase for irony, could count as an idiom? I mean, if someone told me that something I said had a "fully beautiful balance," I would be pretty confused.

The curse "faaz nah" might also be considered an idiom. "Pain, fury" doesn't literally mean damn you or make a whole lot of sense out of context; however, it does make more sense than orin brit ro. That would probably be our best bet, if I had to choose.

In all honesty, this is kind of difficult to answer. It's hard to tell whether some of these phrases I'm thinking of could actually be considered idioms or whether I should just chalk it up to the language difference. Hmph. Motmahus.

ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015
Aaliizah
BoDuSil

I agree but i would say that "orin brit ro" would count as an idiom as well as "drem yol lok"

by ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015
Aaliizah
BoDuSil

I agree but i would say that "orin brit ro" would count as an idiom as well as "drem yol lok"

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.