Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tol vs. Daar

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

So far, we've used tol in two separate senses; as a pronoun, "that thing," and as a conjunction, "it's scary that we've used this word wrong the whole time."

Examining canon, though, tol is only ever used as a conjuncation. The two examples I can find:

• Ahrk fin Kel lost prodah, do ved viing ko fin krah, tol fod zeymah win kein meyz fundein. "And the Scrolls have foretold of black wings in the cold, that when brothers wage war come unfurled."
  • Nau daar revak golt drey Fredo zahrahmiik ek laas ful tol ek pogaan kiir filok ahrk osos sul qahnaar ek hokoron. "On this sacred ground did Fredo sacrifice her life so that her many children (could) escape and some day vanquish her enemies."

Daar "these/these/those" should be used instead of tol as a pronoun and distinguisher.

• Daar grah lost kron "That battle was won."
  • Zu'u drey mindok daar "I knew that."
  • Daar nikriin mey bovul nol grah. "That cowardly fool fled from the battle."

This is something the translator won't be able to distinguish, so resolve to use daar instead of tol when appropriate!

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

So far, we've used tol in two separate senses; as a pronoun, "that thing," and as a conjunction, "it's scary that we've used this word wrong the whole time."

Examining canon, though, tol is only ever used as a conjuncation. The two examples I can find:

• Ahrk fin Kel lost prodah, do ved viing ko fin krah, tol fod zeymah win kein meyz fundein. "And the Scrolls have foretold of black wings in the cold, that when brothers wage war come unfurled."
  • Nau daar revak golt drey Fredo zahrahmiik ek laas ful tol ek pogaan kiir filok ahrk osos sul qahnaar ek hokoron. "On this sacred ground did Fredo sacrifice her life so that her many children (could) escape and some day vanquish her enemies."

Daar "these/these/those" should be used instead of tol as a pronoun and distinguisher.

• Daar grah lost kron "That battle was won."
  • Zu'u drey mindok daar "I knew that."
  • Daar nikriin mey bovul nol grah. "That cowardly fool fled from the battle."

This is something the translator won't be able to distinguish, so resolve to use daar instead of tol when appropriate!

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Oh, man! Well, there goes my only canon way of expressing "what". When I read that description, I knew something was about to go down. Tinvaak los grah, ahrk ney aazni.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Oh, man! Well, there goes my only canon way of expressing "what". When I read that description, I knew something was about to go down. Tinvaak los grah, ahrk ney aazni.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.