Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Jarl's Bounty 2.0

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 25, 2015

With the contest done, next weekend means a new Jarl's Bounty. It's been a while since we've done one, and I've been thinking about changing up how the event works. I want to share my thoughts with the community first, so you can tell me if these ideas would make the event better or just ruin the fun.

In the past, the Jarl's Bounty has worked like this: there's a set of English words with no translations, and people who submit words for these earn extra gold. Later on, a rule was set so that you could submit a maximum of 3 words per list, so more people would have a chance to participate.

I think there are some problems with how Jarl's Bounty 1.0 worked, in relation to both community involvement and philosophy towards the language:

• The Jarl's Bounty encouraged thinking of Dovahzul as a word-for-word cypher.

It limited creativity in that people could only create words with the definitions provided. People relied on the Jarl's Bounty to find out which words were "missing."

• Words were created on a first-come, first-serve basis.

If someone already created a word you had a good idea for, you were out of luck. If you already submitted your 3 words and had ideas for more, you were also out of luck.

• Multiple people would submit for the same word.

Related to the above, it was very common for multiple people to submit a word for the same thing. Someone would be declined simply because the other person submitted theirs first.

Going forward, I have some new thoughts on how the Jarl's Bounty can work.

When a Jarl's Bounty is posted, the words are first discussed in the thread. A period of time is set - let's say, 2 hours - dedicated to discussion only. During this time, anyone can share their word ideas or objections to current ideas bouncing around the thread.

Once a consensus is reached on a word, the Jarl will submit the word and add it to his list. After all the words have been made, everyone who participates in the thread will receive gold.

I think this will solve the problems outlined above. There is an element of personal achievement tied to the Jarl's Bounties, and I hope we can find a way to still capture that somehow.

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know!

by paarthurnax
January 25, 2015

With the contest done, next weekend means a new Jarl's Bounty. It's been a while since we've done one, and I've been thinking about changing up how the event works. I want to share my thoughts with the community first, so you can tell me if these ideas would make the event better or just ruin the fun.

In the past, the Jarl's Bounty has worked like this: there's a set of English words with no translations, and people who submit words for these earn extra gold. Later on, a rule was set so that you could submit a maximum of 3 words per list, so more people would have a chance to participate.

I think there are some problems with how Jarl's Bounty 1.0 worked, in relation to both community involvement and philosophy towards the language:

• The Jarl's Bounty encouraged thinking of Dovahzul as a word-for-word cypher.

It limited creativity in that people could only create words with the definitions provided. People relied on the Jarl's Bounty to find out which words were "missing."

• Words were created on a first-come, first-serve basis.

If someone already created a word you had a good idea for, you were out of luck. If you already submitted your 3 words and had ideas for more, you were also out of luck.

• Multiple people would submit for the same word.

Related to the above, it was very common for multiple people to submit a word for the same thing. Someone would be declined simply because the other person submitted theirs first.

Going forward, I have some new thoughts on how the Jarl's Bounty can work.

When a Jarl's Bounty is posted, the words are first discussed in the thread. A period of time is set - let's say, 2 hours - dedicated to discussion only. During this time, anyone can share their word ideas or objections to current ideas bouncing around the thread.

Once a consensus is reached on a word, the Jarl will submit the word and add it to his list. After all the words have been made, everyone who participates in the thread will receive gold.

I think this will solve the problems outlined above. There is an element of personal achievement tied to the Jarl's Bounties, and I hope we can find a way to still capture that somehow.

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know!

BoDuSil
January 25, 2015

I can only be on once in a while, so can we possibly make it a... Day?

by BoDuSil
January 25, 2015

I can only be on once in a while, so can we possibly make it a... Day?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 25, 2015

That's certainly a possibility.

by paarthurnax
January 25, 2015

That's certainly a possibility.

KhagraTheJester
January 27, 2015

That seems alot fairer than what i had seen in the past. That'd be cool.

by KhagraTheJester
January 27, 2015

That seems alot fairer than what i had seen in the past. That'd be cool.

hiith
January 29, 2015

That sounds like a good idea. One problem I can think of is that there's no way to state which words have been discussed. What are you to do if any certain word is left out of the discussion?

At any rate, I think that we should at least try this out to see if it works out as planned.

by hiith
January 29, 2015

That sounds like a good idea. One problem I can think of is that there's no way to state which words have been discussed. What are you to do if any certain word is left out of the discussion?

At any rate, I think that we should at least try this out to see if it works out as planned.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 29, 2015

Similar to how past Jarl's Bounties worked, we can cross items off the list that are no longer up for discussion.

by paarthurnax
January 29, 2015

Similar to how past Jarl's Bounties worked, we can cross items off the list that are no longer up for discussion.

hiith
January 29, 2015

Alright, works for me.

by hiith
January 29, 2015

Alright, works for me.

ikaram
January 30, 2015

Um, but that doesn't QUITE solve the speed of making words. Everytime I looked at The Jarl's Bounty, all words were crossed. Maybe if it would always be posted at a certain time of the day or something simmilar? 

by ikaram
January 30, 2015

Um, but that doesn't QUITE solve the speed of making words. Everytime I looked at The Jarl's Bounty, all words were crossed. Maybe if it would always be posted at a certain time of the day or something simmilar? 

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 30, 2015

For future Jarl's Bounties, discussion will last most of the day, so you'll have a chance to put in your two septims if you're around that day.

by paarthurnax
January 30, 2015

For future Jarl's Bounties, discussion will last most of the day, so you'll have a chance to put in your two septims if you're around that day.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.