good, better, best;
ill, worse, worst;
late, later, latest or last;
less, lesser, least;
little(amount), less, lest;
many, more, most;
much, more, most;
well, better, best;

Are these irregular in Dovahzul or not. The grammer itself is almost identical to English, but are the word's regularity the same in Dovahzul?

by ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015

Here are some of the most common examples of irregularities in English:

bad, worse, worst;
badly, worse, worst;
far(distance), farther, farthest;
far(extent), further, furthest;
good, better, best;
ill, worse, worst;
late, later, latest or last;
less, lesser, least;
little(amount), less, lest;
many, more, most;
much, more, most;
well, better, best;

Are these irregular in Dovahzul or not. The grammer itself is almost identical to English, but are the word's regularity the same in Dovahzul?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 25, 2015

At one time we did have suffixes that formed these comparisons. We ended up removing them in favor of using the words "more," "most," "less," and "least" instead.

So to say "farther," you would say "more far." To say "furthest," you would say "most far."

Canon Dovahzul uses zok "most," and oftentimes there is no distinction between the comparitive and superlative. "I'm stronger than you" would be expressed as zu'u zok mul "I'm the most strong." To say "Whiterun is further from here than Windhelm," it'd be Nol het los Ahrolsedovah zok gut "Whiterun is the most far from here."

Dragons aren't very subtle about their comparisons. They like absolutes.

by paarthurnax
January 25, 2015

At one time we did have suffixes that formed these comparisons. We ended up removing them in favor of using the words "more," "most," "less," and "least" instead.

So to say "farther," you would say "more far." To say "furthest," you would say "most far."

Canon Dovahzul uses zok "most," and oftentimes there is no distinction between the comparitive and superlative. "I'm stronger than you" would be expressed as zu'u zok mul "I'm the most strong." To say "Whiterun is further from here than Windhelm," it'd be Nol het los Ahrolsedovah zok gut "Whiterun is the most far from here."

ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

Ok

by ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

Ok

BoDuSil
January 25, 2015

I was just about to ask that question!

by BoDuSil
January 25, 2015

I was just about to ask that question!

ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

But what about the regulartitiy of the word themselves? Do they follow any paturn at all? Does anything in Dovahzul have a noticible paturn?

by ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

But what about the regulartitiy of the word themselves? Do they follow any paturn at all? Does anything in Dovahzul have a noticible paturn?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 25, 2015

Dovahzul generally doesn't express the comparative or superlative with a single word, so no.

There are a few canon exceptions:

Pogaan "many" pogaas "much" zuk "most"

Pruzah "good/well" pruzaan "best"

There's nothing here that could be applied to all adjectives, so that's why the comparative and superlative are expressed using supporting words like "most" or "more" instead of one word like "greatest."

by paarthurnax
January 25, 2015

Dovahzul generally doesn't express the comparative or superlative with a single word, so no.

There's nothing here that could be applied to all adjectives, so that's why the comparative and superlative are expressed using supporting words like "most" or "more" instead of one word like "greatest."

ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

Ok that makes sense and at least with Dovahzul's lack of a paturn it cant be more or even as close to as irregular as english

by ZohiifZul
January 25, 2015
paarthurnax

Ok that makes sense and at least with Dovahzul's lack of a paturn it cant be more or even as close to as irregular as english

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.