Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Canon vs Non-Canon

ZohiifZul
January 27, 2015

I've heard people say that Canon takes a priority over Non-Canon, but does it? If so, why does it? You cannot have fluency with the pure canon alone, so is it that you use canon if you can? If it can't be expressed with canon then you use Non-Canon? How does this work?

by ZohiifZul
January 27, 2015

I've heard people say that Canon takes a priority over Non-Canon, but does it? If so, why does it? You cannot have fluency with the pure canon alone, so is it that you use canon if you can? If it can't be expressed with canon then you use Non-Canon? How does this work?

BoDuSil
January 27, 2015

Canon is from the games itself. Canon examples include Fus, Ro, Dah, Vol, and more, they are directly from the games.

Semi-canon are words like one of the words directly from the game, and they are related, but arent from the game.

Non-canon has no relation to the game, yet are somewhat not as off-topic on the game as much as the Modern words. These are a type of word you will see very often.

Modern words are words that have no relation whatsoever, like computer, or car.

by BoDuSil
January 27, 2015

Canon is from the games itself. Canon examples include Fus, Ro, Dah, Vol, and more, they are directly from the games.

Semi-canon are words like one of the words directly from the game, and they are related, but arent from the game.

Non-canon has no relation to the game, yet are somewhat not as off-topic on the game as much as the Modern words. These are a type of word you will see very often.

ZohiifZul
January 27, 2015
BoDuSil

But you have those with a "bias" towards canon. Does it really matter which you use, so long as the point is made?

by ZohiifZul
January 27, 2015
BoDuSil

But you have those with a "bias" towards canon. Does it really matter which you use, so long as the point is made?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 27, 2015

A couple reasons. Something to keep in mind about non-canon is that no one outside of this site will understand it. Even people who are familiar with this site are mostly going to know canon words rather than the non-canon. It's best to use words that others will likely know.

The non-canon words have a habit of changing. Some words were made a while back before certain rules were known, and need to be changed. It's all a work in progress. Having a bias towards canon words greatly extends the longevity of your writing, or whatever you're using the language for.

Speaking in a canon-biased way also helps enforce the language's archaic or brief style. This is something that's really hard to teach. Compare these two translations of "I'm going to teach you about using canon words."

Zu'u los botaas wah mind hi do brahtaas oron rotte. "I am going to teach you about using canon words."

Zu'u nu bolaav hi onikaan do kod vahzen-rot. "I now grant you the wisdom of wielding true-words."

The first one could have come straight from the translator. It's not technically incorrect, but stylistically, it doesn't fit the tone of the dragon language. The second one uses canon words only. It sounds funny to the modern English ear, but captures all of the archaism and metaphor that really makes up the heart of the dragon language.

by paarthurnax
January 27, 2015

A couple reasons. Something to keep in mind about non-canon is that no one outside of this site will understand it. Even people who are familiar with this site are mostly going to know canon words rather than the non-canon. It's best to use words that others will likely know.

The non-canon words have a habit of changing. Some words were made a while back before certain rules were known, and need to be changed. It's all a work in progress. Having a bias towards canon words greatly extends the longevity of your writing, or whatever you're using the language for.

Speaking in a canon-biased way also helps enforce the language's archaic or brief style. This is something that's really hard to teach. Compare these two translations of "I'm going to teach you about using canon words."

Zu'u los botaas wah mind hi do brahtaas oron rotte. "I am going to teach you about using canon words."

Zu'u nu bolaav hi onikaan do kod vahzen-rot. "I now grant you the wisdom of wielding true-words."

The first one could have come straight from the translator. It's not technically incorrect, but stylistically, it doesn't fit the tone of the dragon language. The second one uses canon words only. It sounds funny to the modern English ear, but captures all of the archaism and metaphor that really makes up the heart of the dragon language.

Aaliizah
January 27, 2015

Vahzen!

by Aaliizah
January 27, 2015

Vahzen!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.