Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation help

Zoro
January 31, 2015

So, i'm very new here and I really want to learn Dovahzul, but I have no idea how to begin.

by Zoro
January 31, 2015

So, i'm very new here and I really want to learn Dovahzul, but I have no idea how to begin.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 31, 2015

Welcome! There are a lot of ways to learn, and it's probably overwhelming to start out. One place you can start is Memrise, where you can learn some basic vocabulary and pronunciation. There are also lessons here on the site, which deal more with grammar. Before getting into those, perhaps try your hand at translating some of the Word Walls in Skyrim. It's good beginner practice and can prepare you for some of the more complex things in the lessons.

by paarthurnax
January 31, 2015

Welcome! There are a lot of ways to learn, and it's probably overwhelming to start out. One place you can start is Memrise, where you can learn some basic vocabulary and pronunciation. There are also lessons here on the site, which deal more with grammar. Before getting into those, perhaps try your hand at translating some of the Word Walls in Skyrim. It's good beginner practice and can prepare you for some of the more complex things in the lessons.

BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

I would recommend doing the first half of the lesson, then do dragon names and word walls, then do memrise BEFORE you finish the lessons

by BoDuSil
January 31, 2015

I would recommend doing the first half of the lesson, then do dragon names and word walls, then do memrise BEFORE you finish the lessons

Zoro
February 1, 2015

Nox hi fahdon fah hin hiif

by Zoro
February 1, 2015

Nox hi fahdon fah hin hiif

linkjr87
February 9, 2015

I too am trying to learn... I don't have as much interest in the dragon text and letters, as I do sentence structure, and words themselves. For writing/reading them, I like english lettering. Its easier to text on a phone too, lol.

by linkjr87
February 9, 2015

I too am trying to learn... I don't have as much interest in the dragon text and letters, as I do sentence structure, and words themselves. For writing/reading them, I like english lettering. Its easier to text on a phone too, lol.

Felniir Ahvus
February 10, 2015

I think a combination like BoDuSiil suggests works well.  It helps to have vocabulary to recognize, but it also helps to have a context that gives you a real life connection to remember those words.  Memorizing the words from the shouts and why they produce the effect they do in combination was useful for me.  Also, the games like Labyrinth give you lots of practice at using words like 'govey' and 'tovit' that are immediately useful.

by Felniir Ahvus
February 10, 2015

I think a combination like BoDuSiil suggests works well.  It helps to have vocabulary to recognize, but it also helps to have a context that gives you a real life connection to remember those words.  Memorizing the words from the shouts and why they produce the effect they do in combination was useful for me.  Also, the games like Labyrinth give you lots of practice at using words like 'govey' and 'tovit' that are immediately useful.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.