Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Creating an epic poem in Dovahzul

1  2 > >>  

ZohiifZul
February 16, 2015

I was thinking of a fable about the dragonborn from the prospective of the dragons themselves, maybe taken from predictions and rumers of the dragons who didn't necessaraly like Alduin and and could have been the foundation of the legond itself. Not just the myth but a new story, what do you all think?

by ZohiifZul
February 16, 2015

I was thinking of a fable about the dragonborn from the prospective of the dragons themselves, maybe taken from predictions and rumers of the dragons who didn't necessaraly like Alduin and and could have been the foundation of the legond itself. Not just the myth but a new story, what do you all think?

Vulkulle
February 18, 2015

Interesting concept... Hmmmmm...

I like this. One day, not today, but one day I might give this a shot. Right now I'm in the steps of learning the actual language, after having learned the runes. But one day I swear to paarthurnax, I WILL come back and do this.

by Vulkulle
February 18, 2015

I like this. One day, not today, but one day I might give this a shot. Right now I'm in the steps of learning the actual language, after having learned the runes. But one day I swear to paarthurnax, I WILL come back and do this.

ZohiifZul
February 18, 2015
Darksons

I know the feeling.

by ZohiifZul
February 18, 2015
Darksons

I know the feeling.

DiilMaarDur
February 20, 2015
So, are you thinking of making an entirely new poem of the actions of the dovahkin from merely another perspective?
by DiilMaarDur
February 20, 2015
So, are you thinking of making an entirely new poem of the actions of the dovahkin from merely another perspective?

ZohiifZul
February 20, 2015
DiilMaarDur

If I were good enough at the language. I am curently working on translations but I haven't had them checked though.

by ZohiifZul
February 20, 2015
DiilMaarDur

If I were good enough at the language. I am curently working on translations but I haven't had them checked though.

DiilMaarDur
February 22, 2015
@ZohiifDahrinZul Okay, I think the idea would be great. Especially since most poems are from the people, and the creativity that could be used...oh man... My poetic side is salivating at the thought.
by DiilMaarDur
February 22, 2015
@ZohiifDahrinZul Okay, I think the idea would be great. Especially since most poems are from the people, and the creativity that could be used...oh man... My poetic side is salivating at the thought.

ZohiifZul
February 22, 2015
DiilMaarDur

I know the feeling

by ZohiifZul
February 22, 2015
DiilMaarDur

I know the feeling

DovahKiinZaan
February 27, 2015
Is bo my write epics in Greek, arabic and English, anything else is too hard
by DovahKiinZaan
February 27, 2015
Is bo my write epics in Greek, arabic and English, anything else is too hard

GDelforge
February 27, 2015

Writting a poem is a very good idea. It's actually my goal to be able to writte some poem in Dovahzul, or better some songs like the Skyrim theme song.

I already have some idea what I could tell, but I need a lot more learning first.

But sure we need some more draconic poetry :)

by GDelforge
February 27, 2015

Writting a poem is a very good idea. It's actually my goal to be able to writte some poem in Dovahzul, or better some songs like the Skyrim theme song.

I already have some idea what I could tell, but I need a lot more learning first.

ZohiifZul
February 27, 2015
GDelforge

True, I always seen to have the most truble with verb tenses and relating them to context, whatm about you?

by ZohiifZul
February 27, 2015
GDelforge

True, I always seen to have the most truble with verb tenses and relating them to context, whatm about you?

Ausnahthur
February 28, 2015

Yes, indeed. 

Personally, I like the idea of a poem about the Dovahkiin from the perspective of the Dov who faced him in battle, him being the "one they fear" and all that.

It might be interesting to see the Dovahkiin portrayed less as The Dragonborn, Hero of Tamriel, a warrior who saved all of Nirn from Alduin the World-Eater, and more as The Born Dragon-Hunter, Bane of the Dov, a warrior who devoured the souls of his fallen enemies and grew so powerful as to slay the Firstborn of Akatosh.

As Miraak said, "Do you ever wonder if it hurts, having your soul ripped out like that?"

by Ausnahthur
February 28, 2015

Yes, indeed. 

Personally, I like the idea of a poem about the Dovahkiin from the perspective of the Dov who faced him in battle, him being the "one they fear" and all that.

It might be interesting to see the Dovahkiin portrayed less as The Dragonborn, Hero of Tamriel, a warrior who saved all of Nirn from Alduin the World-Eater, and more as The Born Dragon-Hunter, Bane of the Dov, a warrior who devoured the souls of his fallen enemies and grew so powerful as to slay the Firstborn of Akatosh.

As Miraak said, "Do you ever wonder if it hurts, having your soul ripped out like that?"

GDelforge
February 28, 2015

I was more thinking about some contemplative poetry. Something like a dragon realising that eternity doesn't mean anything, and that in their one way humans are more eternal than dragon will ever be (since they make make children and all).  Sounds inappropriate maybe, but the dovahhe are not just fighters. What can think a dovah spending decades and centuries doing nothing at the top of a mountain ?

My problem learning the Dovahzul is that I learn words, I learn the rules, but I can't make sentences. I just have the words. I think I have to learn sentences and some common expressions. When I want to learn words in a language (german, english), I always start with some texts. The words have to be learned within a context to be remembered. That's the problem when anyone try to learn a language like Dovahzul, even if there's a lot of content to work with here.

by GDelforge
February 28, 2015

I was more thinking about some contemplative poetry. Something like a dragon realising that eternity doesn't mean anything, and that in their one way humans are more eternal than dragon will ever be (since they make make children and all).  Sounds inappropriate maybe, but the dovahhe are not just fighters. What can think a dovah spending decades and centuries doing nothing at the top of a mountain ?

My problem learning the Dovahzul is that I learn words, I learn the rules, but I can't make sentences. I just have the words. I think I have to learn sentences and some common expressions. When I want to learn words in a language (german, english), I always start with some texts. The words have to be learned within a context to be remembered. That's the problem when anyone try to learn a language like Dovahzul, even if there's a lot of content to work with here.

DovahKiinZaan
March 1, 2015

Oh, I wrote a rage epic. 

by DovahKiinZaan
March 1, 2015

Oh, I wrote a rage epic. 

Mul klo riik
March 2, 2015

I think we maybe we should all decide on the context of the story,  and all write a smaller piece from our own perspective. It would be a compaliation. Moral of the story?? All classic epics have one so what will ours be? What's the lesson being taught? To whome?

I say, after the last dragon-born. Written by dovahhe who, (like GDelforge said) came to envy mortals and their boundless souls.

by Mul klo riik
March 2, 2015

I think we maybe we should all decide on the context of the story,  and all write a smaller piece from our own perspective. It would be a compaliation. Moral of the story?? All classic epics have one so what will ours be? What's the lesson being taught? To whome?

I say, after the last dragon-born. Written by dovahhe who, (like GDelforge said) came to envy mortals and their boundless souls.

ZohiifZul
March 2, 2015
Mul klo riik

Maybe a focus on a balance between the power of joor and the power of the dov? Such as criticisms of the inslavement of joor in the begining times yet not able to openly discus them for fear of alduin's maw, or on what it realy means to weald the voice, or even the meaning of eternal life for a dovah? Even if you can die and be "reborn" the dragon's describe themselves as immortal, which althogh at first glance sounds awesome, but ultimently becomes the ultiment torment, as eventually you will have seen everything and life couldn't have anymore suprise. Or combine and mix and match. With just how primitive a language as Dovahzul is (still cool though) it would be difficult to express some of the feelings they may have. With "finitite" being a foriegn concept to the dov try and describe how eternity feels when that's all you know? Combined with the the termoil of knowing that Alduin sit's so high and mighty while you (the one telling the story) is doomed to an eternity of monotonus, plebness of the the dovah world. Sorry if I went a bit deep there but most "classics" focus on a theme of values, valued in that culture, but what values would dov have? This idea, in my opinion at least, gives a lot of room for expanding on the culture of dov itself, and maybe bridging the gap between joor and dov, as both are saerching for a purpose, one in a finite lifetime another in an eternity. You could also tie this into a story on the first dovahkiin, with parts that could have been "forgotten" by the winds for time. 

*exhales* That was a mouth full.

by ZohiifZul
March 2, 2015
Mul klo riik

Maybe a focus on a balance between the power of joor and the power of the dov? Such as criticisms of the inslavement of joor in the begining times yet not able to openly discus them for fear of alduin's maw, or on what it realy means to weald the voice, or even the meaning of eternal life for a dovah? Even if you can die and be "reborn" the dragon's describe themselves as immortal, which althogh at first glance sounds awesome, but ultimently becomes the ultiment torment, as eventually you will have seen everything and life couldn't have anymore suprise. Or combine and mix and match. With just how primitive a language as Dovahzul is (still cool though) it would be difficult to express some of the feelings they may have. With "finitite" being a foriegn concept to the dov try and describe how eternity feels when that's all you know? Combined with the the termoil of knowing that Alduin sit's so high and mighty while you (the one telling the story) is doomed to an eternity of monotonus, plebness of the the dovah world. Sorry if I went a bit deep there but most "classics" focus on a theme of values, valued in that culture, but what values would dov have? This idea, in my opinion at least, gives a lot of room for expanding on the culture of dov itself, and maybe bridging the gap between joor and dov, as both are saerching for a purpose, one in a finite lifetime another in an eternity. You could also tie this into a story on the first dovahkiin, with parts that could have been "forgotten" by the winds for time. 

*exhales* That was a mouth full.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.