Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

On the proper use of Dovahzul

grallonsphere
February 21, 2015

I do not know if this is the right place to post this but I'd like to have some input on how I used Dovazhul in a piece of fiction I wrote.  I had written all this but my session timed out so I'm recreating the post.

Also I'd like thank the owners/admins/mods of the site for the great tools at our disposal, the translator and dictionaries.

by grallonsphere
February 21, 2015

I do not know if this is the right place to post this but I'd like to have some input on how I used Dovazhul in a piece of fiction I wrote.  I had written all this but my session timed out so I'm recreating the post.

Also I'd like thank the owners/admins/mods of the site for the great tools at our disposal, the translator and dictionaries.

grallonsphere
February 21, 2015

...He ‘shouted’ ‘FUS RO DAH!’ in that general direction, staggering several of them.  One even fell, breaking his neck on the pavement below.  That’s when I heard a deep note issuing from the gigantic lamp we had mistakenly dubbed a ‘sun’; Aelryn’ ‘shout’ was echoing outward, as if amplified by the thing!  Several minutes later came a thunderous roar from the south, loud as a hurricane.  Gods!  A dragon!  Down here?!  How was that even possible??  Our assailants looked upward fearfully and the monumental courtyard dimmed as the beast circled and blasted ‘YOL TOOR SHUL!’  A sheet of white flame engulfed the southern wall and tiny figures jerked frantically, plunging to their deaths.  A resounding voice boomed above us.

-       “WO LOST BO TOL JUR ZEY!?”

Most of the remaining falmers turned to the new threat, shooting arrows that did nothing to dent the thick red scales.  The dragon veered, scorching the balconies of the great hall south of us and more blazing figures tumbled down, shrieking, into the square below or the river beyond the ramparts.  That’s when it spotted us, massive head swiveling in our direction.  Aelryn stood and made to ‘shout’ but I restrained him on an impulse.  I raised both arms and screamed.

-       “FEY HI YOLUS BAH SAHROT ZUWUTH!”

My companions stared at me, as if they didn’t know who I was; the brothers both looked horrified while Lucius’ round eyes were disbelieving.  Aelryn was glaring at me, enraged.  The dragon’s wings flapped as it stood suspended in mid-air, studying us.

-       “KIIBOK ZEY JOOR!  ZU’U FUND TINVAAK VOTH HI!”

It flew south past the main gates and we heard a distant rumble as it landed outside the city.  I ran down the stairs, urging the others on.  The few surviving mongrels were cut down as they tried to flee, their slaves cowering, heads hunched under their arms.  Before long we came to a high platform from which a large stairway descended towards the darkened plain below; and there waited the dragon, wings folded at his sides.  Its massive head followed our movements as we approached and its glowing eyes were fixed on me when I saluted, bowing low.

-       “Drem Yol Lok Zuwuth!”

Booming sounds echoed from deep within its chest as its jaw gaped open; it was laughing.

-       “Fos Fend Zu’u Faan Hi Mal Gein?  Kril uv Meyus?”

I shook my head, desperate; it was as if the words which had been so clear a moment before were now eluding me.

-       “I… I am humbled Great One…  Words fail me!”

A sonorous snort escaped its nostrils as it kept studying me.

-       “You have nice manners joor.  Alok!  Rise and fear not.”

Aelryn came to stand next to me, rigid.  The dragon’s attention shifted to him and it snarled.

-       “I knew I had heard one of the ‘Skah Sos’, the tainted blood, speak out in our tongue!”

It reared its head, towering above us.

-       “If you are Dovahkiin then prove it!”

My friend’s eyes darkened and he ‘shouted’ ‘YOL TOOR!’ directly at our ‘host’.  Flames enveloped the great reptilian head as its pupils closed, a contended sigh rumbling out.

-       “Ahhh… YES!  It has been so long since I felt the ‘su’um’, the breath, of one of my own kind!”

The dragon’s gaze returned to him, piercing.

-       “What brings you to this forsaken prison Dovahkiin?”

Aelryn’s voice rang in the shadows.

-       “Paarthurnax sent me forth.”

A cry of rage echoed through the cavern.

-       “TAHRODIIS NIKRIIN!”

We fell back several steps but it wasn’t attacking.  One of its claws extended toward us, gouging furrows in the soft soil.

-       “You have come for the ‘Kel’ haven’t you?  The Elder Scroll… I can feel its presence in that tower, yonder on the river; hidden away by the ‘Dilfahliil’

.  And this can only mean Alduin has returned…”

We looked at each other and Aelryn nodded at the dragon.

-       “Yes... he is raising your kind throughout the land above…”

Another roar came, like a trapped animal desperate to escape.  Then it subsided and seemed lost in memory.

-       “The joors had rebelled…  Paarthurnax had taught them the Thu’um…  And they had grown strong with it.  My ‘zeyliik’, my brethren were being hunted…  So when we sensed the ‘Diistkiin’, the Firstborn, mightiest amongst us, had fallen…   Well… many of us abandoned the fight then.  I sought out ‘Biin Goltahraan’, you would say ‘bronze gorge’, where I’d rested before at times, and slept for an age.  When I awoke again there was no way out!  The accursed ‘Dilfahliil’ had collapsed the cliff walls, enclosing the gorge within what they called Fal Zhardum Din

.  I issued forth, blazing, but they used ‘honaatmuluv rokiiz’… tonal whips… to bind me in their service.  They built that damnable gong to summon me if ever my ‘mulaag’, my strength was needed…  And I, Vulthuryol
, have been caged ever since, fed on a poor diet of those degenerate snow elves!”

We stood silent around it, and I actually felt pity stirring within me.  It shook itself, recalling where it was, whom it was speaking to, and its voice rose again.

-       “Let us make a ‘vanras’, a compact, you and I Dovahkiin.”

Aelryn remained silent.

-       “I do not know how you can get to what you seek but I shall teach you the last word of the ‘Fire Argument’.  In return, I ask that you free me from this endless ‘fustiroz’, this exile away from the sky!”

I watched my friend and saw his hands balled into fists, jaw clenching.  He was loath to even speak with the dragon, let alone treat with it as an equal.  It was as if he thought that seeing Vulthuryol as anything other than a ravenous beast would bring him closer to what he dreaded most.  I knelt in the mud, arms open.

-       “My Lord, he is afraid to be devoured from within!”

Aelryn whirled, eyes darkening, so furious he choked out.

-       “CURSE YOU ANTON!”

He made to advance, rage contorting his face, and Lucius cried out.  Vulthuryol slammed one of its talons on the ground, blocking the path between us then snarled at my friend.

-       “Mindok hin staad goraaniik!

Aelryn stopped, panting and the dragon snorted again.

-       “You should be grateful Dovahkiin, to have such a ‘middovah’, one so loyal at your side.  And he speaks the truth; the hunger for ‘Rel’, domination, *will* grow within you.  Our ‘zii’, our spirit, is too strong.  To this day I keep wondering what possessed Father Akatosh in endowing some of your ‘rayliik’, your race, with the blood of the ‘Dov’

!”

The great head turned my way and its large yellow eyes bore into mine, delving deep.  I felt as if my mind was an open book and nothing could be hidden from its gaze.

-       “To you ‘goraan

’ I will give a name, as if you were one of us, for you have earned it; even though your ‘zeymah’, your brother, refuses what is freely offered.  I call you ‘KRILSUSLIIN!’

The sound reverberated, penetrating me, and I saw images before my eyes, of myself and Aelryn together.  I hung my head, unable to speak; how well he had read me!

-       “Another gift I have also, if you will accept it.”

I looked up again, wiping my eyes, and nodded.  The dragon’s jaws opened wide and it breathed low.

-       “AAR FARIIK PIRAAKT!

Once again the words buried themselves in my mind and I became rigid as I felt a tingling sensation crawl all over me.  Aelryn yelled.

-       “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?”

-       “‘Drem

’ Dovahkiin, your ‘onliin’
is not harmed.  In the days of our ‘suleyksejun’, our dominion, we would mark those joors we favored as prized servants, and the other ‘dovah’
would know to spare them or face the wrath of their ‘kroskinbok’, their… master.”

I cringed inwardly, that word really meant ‘slave-master’…  Dragons had slaves, not servants.

-       “I have placed such a ‘siinsezin’, a sign of honor, on Krilsusliin here; so that he may walk freely amongst my brethren, if he does not attack them.  All should respect my mark, except for Alduin of course; he is ‘gronvu’, he knows no bounds, and will do as he pleases, like he always does.”  

Volthuryol then focused its attention on my friend once more.

-       “And now Dovahkiin…  Shall I teach you the name of the sun, as it scorches the earth in high summer?  Shall we seal our ‘vanras’ you and I?  Will you grant me release from this ‘unahzaal vaarnufaaz’, this unceasing torment?”

Aelryn looked at me, anguish written all over him.  I smiled, encouraging him, and he let out a ragged sigh, turning to face the dragon.  Vulthuryol’s maw shaped one word, cresting like a wave out of the Abyss.

-       “‘SHUL!’

My friend stared at nothing for a moment before closing his eyes then he breathed deeply, looking upward and ‘shouted’ ‘YOL TOOR SHUL!’  The surrounding gloom became daylight as a vast column of white flame shot upward.  The dragon’s head swayed heavily.

-       “Your Thu’um is powerful indeed Dovahkiin!  You will need it should you ever face the Firstborn.”

Aelryn reopened his eyes and glared at Volthuryol.

-       “Can he truly be destroyed?”

The dragon snorted.

-       “I do not know yet as much as I loathe Paarthurnax and all his ‘tahrodiis ven’, his treacherous ways, he was always counted as ‘onik’, wise, among the dovah.  If he sent you in here for the ‘Kel’ then there is a good reason for it...  And now do not delay any longer; you have taken my gifts so fulfill your ‘vahrot’

!”

--------------------

“Who comes that challenges me!?”

“Stay you fiery wrath mighty Elder!”

“Follow me mortals!  I would speak with you!”

“Greetings Elder!”

“What should I call you Little One?  Brave or Foolish?”

“Treacherous coward!”

“Dwemer”

‘Blackest Kingdom Reaches’

‘Dark Tyranny Fire’ or ‘Dark Fiery Tyrant’

“Know you place youngster!”

‘Dragonkind’

‘youngling’

‘KRIL – Brave – SUS – Bloody – LIIN – Mate’ or ‘Brave bloody (haired) lover’

“AAR – Slave – FARIIK – Precious – PIRAAKT – Possession” or “Favored Personal Servant”

‘Peace’

‘lover’

‘dragon(s)’

‘Sun’ – as in ‘Blazing, scorching sun’

‘oath’ or ‘vow’

by grallonsphere
February 21, 2015

...He ‘shouted’ ‘FUS RO DAH!’ in that general direction, staggering several of them.  One even fell, breaking his neck on the pavement below.  That’s when I heard a deep note issuing from the gigantic lamp we had mistakenly dubbed a ‘sun’; Aelryn’ ‘shout’ was echoing outward, as if amplified by the thing!  Several minutes later came a thunderous roar from the south, loud as a hurricane.  Gods!  A dragon!  Down here?!  How was that even possible??  Our assailants looked upward fearfully and the monumental courtyard dimmed as the beast circled and blasted ‘YOL TOOR SHUL!’  A sheet of white flame engulfed the southern wall and tiny figures jerked frantically, plunging to their deaths.  A resounding voice boomed above us.

-       “WO LOST BO TOL JUR ZEY!?”

Most of the remaining falmers turned to the new threat, shooting arrows that did nothing to dent the thick red scales.  The dragon veered, scorching the balconies of the great hall south of us and more blazing figures tumbled down, shrieking, into the square below or the river beyond the ramparts.  That’s when it spotted us, massive head swiveling in our direction.  Aelryn stood and made to ‘shout’ but I restrained him on an impulse.  I raised both arms and screamed.

-       “FEY HI YOLUS BAH SAHROT ZUWUTH!”

My companions stared at me, as if they didn’t know who I was; the brothers both looked horrified while Lucius’ round eyes were disbelieving.  Aelryn was glaring at me, enraged.  The dragon’s wings flapped as it stood suspended in mid-air, studying us.

-       “KIIBOK ZEY JOOR!  ZU’U FUND TINVAAK VOTH HI!”

It flew south past the main gates and we heard a distant rumble as it landed outside the city.  I ran down the stairs, urging the others on.  The few surviving mongrels were cut down as they tried to flee, their slaves cowering, heads hunched under their arms.  Before long we came to a high platform from which a large stairway descended towards the darkened plain below; and there waited the dragon, wings folded at his sides.  Its massive head followed our movements as we approached and its glowing eyes were fixed on me when I saluted, bowing low.

-       “Drem Yol Lok Zuwuth!”

Booming sounds echoed from deep within its chest as its jaw gaped open; it was laughing.

-       “Fos Fend Zu’u Faan Hi Mal Gein?  Kril uv Meyus?”

I shook my head, desperate; it was as if the words which had been so clear a moment before were now eluding me.

-       “I… I am humbled Great One…  Words fail me!”

A sonorous snort escaped its nostrils as it kept studying me.

-       “You have nice manners joor.  Alok!  Rise and fear not.”

Aelryn came to stand next to me, rigid.  The dragon’s attention shifted to him and it snarled.

-       “I knew I had heard one of the ‘Skah Sos’, the tainted blood, speak out in our tongue!”

It reared its head, towering above us.

-       “If you are Dovahkiin then prove it!”

My friend’s eyes darkened and he ‘shouted’ ‘YOL TOOR!’ directly at our ‘host’.  Flames enveloped the great reptilian head as its pupils closed, a contended sigh rumbling out.

-       “Ahhh… YES!  It has been so long since I felt the ‘su’um’, the breath, of one of my own kind!”

The dragon’s gaze returned to him, piercing.

-       “What brings you to this forsaken prison Dovahkiin?”

Aelryn’s voice rang in the shadows.

-       “Paarthurnax sent me forth.”

A cry of rage echoed through the cavern.

-       “TAHRODIIS NIKRIIN!”

We fell back several steps but it wasn’t attacking.  One of its claws extended toward us, gouging furrows in the soft soil.

-       “You have come for the ‘Kel’ haven’t you?  The Elder Scroll… I can feel its presence in that tower, yonder on the river; hidden away by the ‘Dilfahliil’

.  And this can only mean Alduin has returned…”

We looked at each other and Aelryn nodded at the dragon.

-       “Yes... he is raising your kind throughout the land above…”

Another roar came, like a trapped animal desperate to escape.  Then it subsided and seemed lost in memory.

-       “The joors had rebelled…  Paarthurnax had taught them the Thu’um…  And they had grown strong with it.  My ‘zeyliik’, my brethren were being hunted…  So when we sensed the ‘Diistkiin’, the Firstborn, mightiest amongst us, had fallen…   Well… many of us abandoned the fight then.  I sought out ‘Biin Goltahraan’, you would say ‘bronze gorge’, where I’d rested before at times, and slept for an age.  When I awoke again there was no way out!  The accursed ‘Dilfahliil’ had collapsed the cliff walls, enclosing the gorge within what they called Fal Zhardum Din

.  I issued forth, blazing, but they used ‘honaatmuluv rokiiz’… tonal whips… to bind me in their service.  They built that damnable gong to summon me if ever my ‘mulaag’, my strength was needed…  And I, Vulthuryol
, have been caged ever since, fed on a poor diet of those degenerate snow elves!”

We stood silent around it, and I actually felt pity stirring within me.  It shook itself, recalling where it was, whom it was speaking to, and its voice rose again.

-       “Let us make a ‘vanras’, a compact, you and I Dovahkiin.”

Aelryn remained silent.

-       “I do not know how you can get to what you seek but I shall teach you the last word of the ‘Fire Argument’.  In return, I ask that you free me from this endless ‘fustiroz’, this exile away from the sky!”

I watched my friend and saw his hands balled into fists, jaw clenching.  He was loath to even speak with the dragon, let alone treat with it as an equal.  It was as if he thought that seeing Vulthuryol as anything other than a ravenous beast would bring him closer to what he dreaded most.  I knelt in the mud, arms open.

-       “My Lord, he is afraid to be devoured from within!”

Aelryn whirled, eyes darkening, so furious he choked out.

-       “CURSE YOU ANTON!”

He made to advance, rage contorting his face, and Lucius cried out.  Vulthuryol slammed one of its talons on the ground, blocking the path between us then snarled at my friend.

-       “Mindok hin staad goraaniik!

Aelryn stopped, panting and the dragon snorted again.

-       “You should be grateful Dovahkiin, to have such a ‘middovah’, one so loyal at your side.  And he speaks the truth; the hunger for ‘Rel’, domination, *will* grow within you.  Our ‘zii’, our spirit, is too strong.  To this day I keep wondering what possessed Father Akatosh in endowing some of your ‘rayliik’, your race, with the blood of the ‘Dov’

!”

The great head turned my way and its large yellow eyes bore into mine, delving deep.  I felt as if my mind was an open book and nothing could be hidden from its gaze.

-       “To you ‘goraan

’ I will give a name, as if you were one of us, for you have earned it; even though your ‘zeymah’, your brother, refuses what is freely offered.  I call you ‘KRILSUSLIIN!’

The sound reverberated, penetrating me, and I saw images before my eyes, of myself and Aelryn together.  I hung my head, unable to speak; how well he had read me!

-       “Another gift I have also, if you will accept it.”

I looked up again, wiping my eyes, and nodded.  The dragon’s jaws opened wide and it breathed low.

-       “AAR FARIIK PIRAAKT!

Once again the words buried themselves in my mind and I became rigid as I felt a tingling sensation crawl all over me.  Aelryn yelled.

-       “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?”

-       “‘Drem

’ Dovahkiin, your ‘onliin’
is not harmed.  In the days of our ‘suleyksejun’, our dominion, we would mark those joors we favored as prized servants, and the other ‘dovah’
would know to spare them or face the wrath of their ‘kroskinbok’, their… master.”

I cringed inwardly, that word really meant ‘slave-master’…  Dragons had slaves, not servants.

-       “I have placed such a ‘siinsezin’, a sign of honor, on Krilsusliin here; so that he may walk freely amongst my brethren, if he does not attack them.  All should respect my mark, except for Alduin of course; he is ‘gronvu’, he knows no bounds, and will do as he pleases, like he always does.”  

Volthuryol then focused its attention on my friend once more.

-       “And now Dovahkiin…  Shall I teach you the name of the sun, as it scorches the earth in high summer?  Shall we seal our ‘vanras’ you and I?  Will you grant me release from this ‘unahzaal vaarnufaaz’, this unceasing torment?”

Aelryn looked at me, anguish written all over him.  I smiled, encouraging him, and he let out a ragged sigh, turning to face the dragon.  Vulthuryol’s maw shaped one word, cresting like a wave out of the Abyss.

-       “‘SHUL!’

My friend stared at nothing for a moment before closing his eyes then he breathed deeply, looking upward and ‘shouted’ ‘YOL TOOR SHUL!’  The surrounding gloom became daylight as a vast column of white flame shot upward.  The dragon’s head swayed heavily.

-       “Your Thu’um is powerful indeed Dovahkiin!  You will need it should you ever face the Firstborn.”

Aelryn reopened his eyes and glared at Volthuryol.

-       “Can he truly be destroyed?”

The dragon snorted.

-       “I do not know yet as much as I loathe Paarthurnax and all his ‘tahrodiis ven’, his treacherous ways, he was always counted as ‘onik’, wise, among the dovah.  If he sent you in here for the ‘Kel’ then there is a good reason for it...  And now do not delay any longer; you have taken my gifts so fulfill your ‘vahrot’

!”

--------------------

“Who comes that challenges me!?”

“Stay you fiery wrath mighty Elder!”

“Follow me mortals!  I would speak with you!”

“Greetings Elder!”

“What should I call you Little One?  Brave or Foolish?”

“Treacherous coward!”

“Dwemer”

‘Blackest Kingdom Reaches’

‘Dark Tyranny Fire’ or ‘Dark Fiery Tyrant’

“Know you place youngster!”

‘Dragonkind’

‘youngling’

‘KRIL – Brave – SUS – Bloody – LIIN – Mate’ or ‘Brave bloody (haired) lover’

“AAR – Slave – FARIIK – Precious – PIRAAKT – Possession” or “Favored Personal Servant”

‘Peace’

‘lover’

‘dragon(s)’

‘Sun’ – as in ‘Blazing, scorching sun’

‘oath’ or ‘vow’

Frinmulaar
February 23, 2015

I thought I posted yesterday, but something seems to have eaten it. Oh well.

Nice piece of writing. Overall, that Dovahzul is pretty much by the book. You have the inbuilt brevity in there too. Some very minor points:

2: There seems to be a typo here. Changing the 'hi' to 'hin', it would make complete sense. "Stay your fiery wrath, mighty elder" But if it is indeed correct, you can blame that on my non-native English.

3: 'Fund' for 'would' strikes me as a bit cautious for the confident, dominant dragon. Bethesda's dragons would most likely issue a straightforward declaration instead. "Zu'u fen tinvaak voth hi"

14: Mimicking the three-word shout format? If you so desire, this could definitely be communicated in monosyllables. "Aar dii lot", perhaps?

Oh, and: text in brackets will display as dragon runes

LIKE THIS

. Just a thing to remember.

by Frinmulaar
February 23, 2015

Nice piece of writing. Overall, that Dovahzul is pretty much by the book. You have the inbuilt brevity in there too. Some very minor points:

2: There seems to be a typo here. Changing the 'hi' to 'hin', it would make complete sense. "Stay your fiery wrath, mighty elder" But if it is indeed correct, you can blame that on my non-native English.

3: 'Fund' for 'would' strikes me as a bit cautious for the confident, dominant dragon. Bethesda's dragons would most likely issue a straightforward declaration instead. "Zu'u fen tinvaak voth hi"

14: Mimicking the three-word shout format? If you so desire, this could definitely be communicated in monosyllables. "Aar dii lot", perhaps?

LIKE THIS

grallonsphere
February 24, 2015
Freymulaar

LIKE THIS

Thank you for kind words and your pointers, I've corrected the text accordingly.

by grallonsphere
February 24, 2015
Freymulaar

LIKE THIS

Thank you for kind words and your pointers, I've corrected the text accordingly.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.