Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

What do you think of the usability of Dovahzul?

dovahbear
March 17, 2015

Drem yol lok. I just started learning on memrise and I have a total of 71 words memorized (GO ME!) and I was wondering what everyone thought of the usability of Dovahzul? Are there enough words and grammar rules that it is possible to hole full and interesting conversation? Describe day to day activities? Write a novel of a respectable length? If not, how long do you think it will take before the language is as developed as say, Klingon? How often are new words added to the dictionary? Just an open question. I am really glad to join this community. It's been a dream of mine to learn this awesome language!
Bo pruzah, hunne!

by dovahbear
March 17, 2015

Drem yol lok. I just started learning on memrise and I have a total of 71 words memorized (GO ME!) and I was wondering what everyone thought of the usability of Dovahzul? Are there enough words and grammar rules that it is possible to hole full and interesting conversation? Describe day to day activities? Write a novel of a respectable length? If not, how long do you think it will take before the language is as developed as say, Klingon? How often are new words added to the dictionary? Just an open question. I am really glad to join this community. It's been a dream of mine to learn this awesome language!
Bo pruzah, hunne!

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 17, 2015

Drem yol lok! This is certainly an interesting topic of discussion, and my thoughts on it have changed a lot over the years.

The dragon language, its words, and its grammar all make it suitable for a rather niche set of purposes - namely, Dragon Shouts, and short prose or poetry like those seen on the Word Walls. It makes sense that it works well for these things, since that's what it was designed for. Whole conversations are very much possible. Full-length novels are also technically possible, but because of how the language works, the end result would look very different from its English counterpart.

Klingon, too, has the same sort of limitations. Since its vocabulary is centered around an alien culture in the far future, there's a certain creativity you have to develop in order to make everyday conversation. You have to adopt a Klingon perspective in order to make the most of the language. Likewise, making the leap from "English with different words" to really using the language with its rules and style in mind greatly extends how "usable" your Dovahzul can be.

New words are added everyday. There was a time when I was a big advocate for creating new words, but I don't think the number of created words has any bearing on how usable Dovahzul is or how well-developed it can be considered. At this stage, I think the most important part of developing Dovahzul is writing literature and increasing its body of work. The words mean nothing if they're not used! And if new words come from this process, all the better.

by paarthurnax
March 17, 2015

Drem yol lok! This is certainly an interesting topic of discussion, and my thoughts on it have changed a lot over the years.

The dragon language, its words, and its grammar all make it suitable for a rather niche set of purposes - namely, Dragon Shouts, and short prose or poetry like those seen on the Word Walls. It makes sense that it works well for these things, since that's what it was designed for. Whole conversations are very much possible. Full-length novels are also technically possible, but because of how the language works, the end result would look very different from its English counterpart.

Klingon, too, has the same sort of limitations. Since its vocabulary is centered around an alien culture in the far future, there's a certain creativity you have to develop in order to make everyday conversation. You have to adopt a Klingon perspective in order to make the most of the language. Likewise, making the leap from "English with different words" to really using the language with its rules and style in mind greatly extends how "usable" your Dovahzul can be.

New words are added everyday. There was a time when I was a big advocate for creating new words, but I don't think the number of created words has any bearing on how usable Dovahzul is or how well-developed it can be considered. At this stage, I think the most important part of developing Dovahzul is writing literature and increasing its body of work. The words mean nothing if they're not used! And if new words come from this process, all the better.

linkjr87
April 5, 2015

Ahnok!

Zu'u los ahk yun wah dovahzul. Nuz zu'u med wah paagold zeim dii hofkah ahrk thu'um daar:

Zu'u los drog do daar gevild! Qiilaan bo zey!

My wife doesn't care for the language. It's quite funny.

by linkjr87
April 5, 2015

Ahnok!

Zu'u los ahk yun wah dovahzul. Nuz zu'u med wah paagold zeim dii hofkah ahrk thu'um daar:

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 5, 2015
linkjr87

Ahnok!

Welcome, linkjr87! This is perhaps not the right thread for this comment, though. See the introductions thread if you'd like to tell us about yourself.

by paarthurnax
April 5, 2015
linkjr87

Ahnok!

Welcome, linkjr87! This is perhaps not the right thread for this comment, though. See the introductions thread if you'd like to tell us about yourself.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.