Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Help with pronunciation

FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015

I recently discovered this website. I wanted to learn this language, but I have one question. How do i pronounce words? Do I say every letter or do I say them together?

My name is Tyler, so would I say every letter? Or combine them?

So would it be "tag yeh li en rah"? Sorry I'm very new!

by FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015

I recently discovered this website. I wanted to learn this language, but I have one question. How do i pronounce words? Do I say every letter or do I say them together?

My name is Tyler, so would I say every letter? Or combine them?

So would it be "tag yeh li en rah"? Sorry I'm very new!

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2015

Drem yol lok, welcome! The letter names provided on the alphabet page are just for reference, kind of like singing the alphabet song in English. The letter names aren't used to pronounce words. A word such as dovah is pronounced like "doe-vah".

As for your name, it's a bit more complicated because the dragon language doesn't use "y" as a vowel. Using that spelling, it might be pronounced something like "tyell-er" or "tyill-er".

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2015

Drem yol lok, welcome! The letter names provided on the alphabet page are just for reference, kind of like singing the alphabet song in English. The letter names aren't used to pronounce words. A word such as dovah is pronounced like "doe-vah".

As for your name, it's a bit more complicated because the dragon language doesn't use "y" as a vowel. Using that spelling, it might be pronounced something like "tyell-er" or "tyill-er".

FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015
paarthurnax

Thanks. You said that alphabet is just reference, so how do I figure how you say a word?

by FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015
paarthurnax

Thanks. You said that alphabet is just reference, so how do I figure how you say a word?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2015
FantasyReborn
paarthurnax

Letters in the dragon language function just like English, where each letter stands for a sound, that when all joined together, form a word. The alphabet page lists all of the letters and what pronunciations they have in a word. There are English words listed for reference that have the same pronunciation.

Some examples: yol rhymes with "hole", zul rhymes with "cool", and brii rhymes with "tree."

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2015
FantasyReborn
paarthurnax

Letters in the dragon language function just like English, where each letter stands for a sound, that when all joined together, form a word. The alphabet page lists all of the letters and what pronunciations they have in a word. There are English words listed for reference that have the same pronunciation.

Some examples: yol rhymes with "hole", zul rhymes with "cool", and brii rhymes with "tree."

FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015

@paarthurnax (on mobile) So sorry, but I'm still not really understanding it. Can you explain the process for saying and writing, a word? Like for example, the word "house" or "car." Sorry if I waste your time with this.

by FantasyReborn
March 23, 2015

@paarthurnax (on mobile) So sorry, but I'm still not really understanding it. Can you explain the process for saying and writing, a word? Like for example, the word "house" or "car." Sorry if I waste your time with this.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 23, 2015
FantasyReborn

No worries, a whole new language can be a hard concept to grasp.

The dragon language has its own set of words. For example, the dragon word for "house" is hofkah, and the dragon word for "car" is geltkey. These words are used to speak the language. Take a look at the dictionary for a complete set of words, or use the Search tool to find a specific word.

by paarthurnax
March 23, 2015
FantasyReborn

No worries, a whole new language can be a hard concept to grasp.

The dragon language has its own set of words. For example, the dragon word for "house" is hofkah, and the dragon word for "car" is geltkey. These words are used to speak the language. Take a look at the dictionary for a complete set of words, or use the Search tool to find a specific word.

FantasyReborn
March 24, 2015

@paarthurnax Thank you! Im starting to get it. I'll have to look at some more words. Also, how would I use names in a sentence? Would I just say the name in English?

by FantasyReborn
March 24, 2015

@paarthurnax Thank you! Im starting to get it. I'll have to look at some more words. Also, how would I use names in a sentence? Would I just say the name in English?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 24, 2015
FantasyReborn

For the most part. The only major thing to note is that you'll have to change the letter "C" to either "K" or "S" in writing, so a name like "Cody" should be written as "Kody" or "Kodi."

by paarthurnax
March 24, 2015
FantasyReborn

For the most part. The only major thing to note is that you'll have to change the letter "C" to either "K" or "S" in writing, so a name like "Cody" should be written as "Kody" or "Kodi."

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.