Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Orcish language in TES

scrptrx
July 6, 2013

Does anyone know if a source for the Orcish language in TES?

The best I can find is that it's derivative of Aldmeris, so at least there is a list of root words to go by. There are also Orc names, but, I don't see any resemblance between that and Aldmeric roots.

by scrptrx
July 6, 2013

The best I can find is that it's derivative of Aldmeris, so at least there is a list of root words to go by. There are also Orc names, but, I don't see any resemblance between that and Aldmeric roots.

Kenaar
July 7, 2013

Ahnok, Brynja ! This is the best and likely the most reliable variant of language classification: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5124/eng2q.jpg

According to this, there are two Orcish languages; Orsinian (deriving from Proto-Aldmeris) and non-elven Old Orcish. I suppose their names are of an Old Orcish origin (and it seems to me I've read this somewhere but now I can't find that source)

by Kenaar
July 7, 2013

Ahnok, Brynja ! This is the best and likely the most reliable variant of language classification: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5124/eng2q.jpg

According to this, there are two Orcish languages; Orsinian (deriving from Proto-Aldmeris) and non-elven Old Orcish. I suppose their names are of an Old Orcish origin (and it seems to me I've read this somewhere but now I can't find that source)

Kenaar
July 7, 2013
Brynja

Krosis, I edited my post twice because of the fail of my browser.

Just found out that Old Orcish is a language of wild orcs. Who are this wild orcs: all orcs who live outside Orsinium? If yes, it means that all orcs we've met in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim speak Old Orcish, so they have non-elven names.

I'm not sure, Orcish names sounds qiute similar for me to Semitic (especially ancients Semitic: Sumerian, Akkadian). Moreover, I could see some in Orcs some allusions to real-life Jews (for example, the history of Orsinium reminds me of Jerusalem)

by Kenaar
July 7, 2013
Brynja

Krosis, I edited my post twice because of the fail of my browser.

Just found out that Old Orcish is a language of wild orcs. Who are this wild orcs: all orcs who live outside Orsinium? If yes, it means that all orcs we've met in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim speak Old Orcish, so they have non-elven names.

I'm not sure, Orcish names sounds qiute similar for me to Semitic (especially ancients Semitic: Sumerian, Akkadian). Moreover, I could see some in Orcs some allusions to real-life Jews (for example, the history of Orsinium reminds me of Jerusalem)

Kenaar
July 7, 2013
Brynja

Sorry, I confused the things. Well, Wild Orcs are just a beast race (Betmer) like rieklings, goblins, ect. And the have nothing in common with Orsimer except appearance. So, those names are Orsinian. Well, they don't have to be absolutely resemblant with Aldmeris, because they are different branches of Proto-Adlmeris. Still, they have some similarities, I suppose. For example, as I treated Orsinian as an in-game equivalent of Semitic, Altmeris and Bosmeris names also have Semitic ending "-el" (Auriel, Anuiel, Uriel like real-life Daniel, Michael)

by Kenaar
July 7, 2013
Brynja

Sorry, I confused the things. Well, Wild Orcs are just a beast race (Betmer) like rieklings, goblins, ect. And the have nothing in common with Orsimer except appearance. So, those names are Orsinian. Well, they don't have to be absolutely resemblant with Aldmeris, because they are different branches of Proto-Adlmeris. Still, they have some similarities, I suppose. For example, as I treated Orsinian as an in-game equivalent of Semitic, Altmeris and Bosmeris names also have Semitic ending "-el" (Auriel, Anuiel, Uriel like real-life Daniel, Michael)

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.