Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion for New Translations of Ambiguous Words

Dezonikso
May 5, 2015

In the wake of the soon ending Jarl's Bounty from this April, I have decided to open a thread about some ambiguous words, like "to emerge", which can mean "to become manifest," "to become known or regarded as something," to rise or appear from a hidden or unknown place or condition," etc. You guys and gals should get the point. 

by Dezonikso
May 5, 2015

In the wake of the soon ending Jarl's Bounty from this April, I have decided to open a thread about some ambiguous words, like "to emerge", which can mean "to become manifest," "to become known or regarded as something," to rise or appear from a hidden or unknown place or condition," etc. You guys and gals should get the point. 

gtfobro
May 8, 2015

Personally, I feel that translations should be as precise as possible so as to avoid ambiguity. In the case of 'to emerge', its more precise meanings (manifest, become known, appear from an origin, etc.) would have their own words, but when translated to English, 'to emerge' would be included as a synonym. Does that make sense?

Example: I tried to translate the word 'determined' on the translator today, which is Maankir. But upon processing it back (and finding it through the dictionary), Miraak returned with not only 'determined' but 'resolute'

by gtfobro
May 8, 2015

Personally, I feel that translations should be as precise as possible so as to avoid ambiguity. In the case of 'to emerge', its more precise meanings (manifest, become known, appear from an origin, etc.) would have their own words, but when translated to English, 'to emerge' would be included as a synonym. Does that make sense?

Example: I tried to translate the word 'determined' on the translator today, which is Maankir. But upon processing it back (and finding it through the dictionary), Miraak returned with not only 'determined' but 'resolute'

gtfobro
May 8, 2015

This post has been deleted.

by gtfobro
May 8, 2015

This post has been deleted.

Frinmulaar
May 9, 2015

My approach is to check the word's origins in English, going back to Latin, proto-Germanic or the like. Odds are it started out as a simple physical action - "sarcasm" for example is literally "flesh-cutting". Languages work like that. Then I try to reverse-derive the required meaning into simple draconic concepts. I think the process of creating a word should ideally mimic the word's development in real-world languages.

As for precision and ambiguity, I maintain that Dovahzul should avoid becoming a code for English at all costs. That means inherently fuzzy translations for more complicated concepts, and - as much as is possible - equal numbers of translations for any given word both Eng-Dov and Dov-Eng. Does that make any sense?

by Frinmulaar
May 9, 2015

My approach is to check the word's origins in English, going back to Latin, proto-Germanic or the like. Odds are it started out as a simple physical action - "sarcasm" for example is literally "flesh-cutting". Languages work like that. Then I try to reverse-derive the required meaning into simple draconic concepts. I think the process of creating a word should ideally mimic the word's development in real-world languages.

As for precision and ambiguity, I maintain that Dovahzul should avoid becoming a code for English at all costs. That means inherently fuzzy translations for more complicated concepts, and - as much as is possible - equal numbers of translations for any given word both Eng-Dov and Dov-Eng. Does that make any sense?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.