Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Help with name please

Sluncuts
May 8, 2015

I was just about to finish the exercise on names and I am stumped. My name is Tristan, it means "noise of arms" or "clanking swords". I ran it though the translator but I don't know how to go about merging the words into one. Any help?

by Sluncuts
May 8, 2015

I was just about to finish the exercise on names and I am stumped. My name is Tristan, it means "noise of arms" or "clanking swords". I ran it though the translator but I don't know how to go about merging the words into one. Any help?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 8, 2015

Dragon names are based on broad concepts rather than any literal phrases that can be put to a translator. Pick and choose the words that sound best and give the overall sense of the meaning. Some ideas are Zaangrahzun ("shout-battle-weapon"), Shaanahzun ("inspire-hunter-weapon"), or Viintuzaak ("shine-blade-guide"). Play with the Dragon Name Generator and see if you can up with some other ideas.

by paarthurnax
May 8, 2015

Dragon names are based on broad concepts rather than any literal phrases that can be put to a translator. Pick and choose the words that sound best and give the overall sense of the meaning. Some ideas are Zaangrahzun ("shout-battle-weapon"), Shaanahzun ("inspire-hunter-weapon"), or Viintuzaak ("shine-blade-guide"). Play with the Dragon Name Generator and see if you can up with some other ideas.

Maakrindah
May 8, 2015

Paarthurnax has great advice. I defer to his wisdom. That said, I have an idea.

One idea is to combine root words in a meaningful way by looking up individual base words and seeing what fits together.

For example, using the meaning of your name, one could look up the words for sound, roar, clank, noise, song, etc. And words like, sword, weapon, blade, fang, etc. While not looking for a direct translation, you could find similar concepts that create an aesthetic that you can identify with.

Some results from the above words could end up being: Fang-Roar, Sword-Strike, Weapon-Song, or Blade-Sound. By making a list of root words that are meaningful to you, you can find the combination that you feel is best. One combination I found is 'Zahkriidunrein' meaning 'Swordplay/Swordsmanship/Sword-grace -- Roar' or 'The Roar of Sword-grace'. If you prefer a shorter name, using a different combination of root words can produce something with two or three syllables rather than four or five. An example of this is 'Tuzaan' (Blade-Shout). This is just an example of a technique I found helpful.

by Maakrindah
May 8, 2015

Paarthurnax has great advice. I defer to his wisdom. That said, I have an idea.

One idea is to combine root words in a meaningful way by looking up individual base words and seeing what fits together.

For example, using the meaning of your name, one could look up the words for sound, roar, clank, noise, song, etc. And words like, sword, weapon, blade, fang, etc. While not looking for a direct translation, you could find similar concepts that create an aesthetic that you can identify with.

Some results from the above words could end up being: Fang-Roar, Sword-Strike, Weapon-Song, or Blade-Sound. By making a list of root words that are meaningful to you, you can find the combination that you feel is best. One combination I found is 'Zahkriidunrein' meaning 'Swordplay/Swordsmanship/Sword-grace -- Roar' or 'The Roar of Sword-grace'. If you prefer a shorter name, using a different combination of root words can produce something with two or three syllables rather than four or five. An example of this is 'Tuzaan' (Blade-Shout). This is just an example of a technique I found helpful.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.