Possible confusion with runes?

gtfobro
May 9, 2015

I'm sure this is nothing new, but this mostly concernes runes like UR

but there are also runes and sounds for U

U

and R

R

. How would one be able to determine which to use when transcribing words? Is there a trick? Or simply guesses?

ps. text likes to act weird when implementing the brackets @@

by gtfobro
May 9, 2015

I'm sure this is nothing new, but this mostly concernes runes like UR

but there are also runes and sounds for U

U

and R

R

. How would one be able to determine which to use when transcribing words? Is there a trick? Or simply guesses?

ps. text likes to act weird when implementing the brackets @@

Frinmulaar
May 9, 2015

Good question. According to my gut feeling and half a year on this site, the compounds should be used whenever is possible. For every -ur- in the Latin alphabet transcription, you should put an "ur" rune.

I think the compound runes are just simple text shorteners in canon texts and never carry grammatical meaning. Any confirmation from more knowledgeable members?

by Frinmulaar
May 9, 2015

Good question. According to my gut feeling and half a year on this site, the compounds should be used whenever is possible. For every -ur- in the Latin alphabet transcription, you should put an "ur" rune.

I think the compound runes are just simple text shorteners in canon texts and never carry grammatical meaning. Any confirmation from more knowledgeable members?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 9, 2015

Any word that uses ur or ir should be written with that character, such as thur or nir. A special exception occurs when you have words like kiir or viir, in which case they would be spelled K+ii+R and V+ii+R, instead of K+I+ir or V+I+ir.

by paarthurnax
May 9, 2015

Any word that uses ur or ir should be written with that character, such as thur or nir. A special exception occurs when you have words like kiir or viir, in which case they would be spelled K+ii+R and V+ii+R, instead of K+I+ir or V+I+ir.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.