Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

dragon names

dragonlord001
June 2, 2015

how are the dragons named in the elder scroll series? is it anything like the inheritance book's or are they named based on their personality?

by dragonlord001
June 2, 2015

how are the dragons named in the elder scroll series? is it anything like the inheritance book's or are they named based on their personality?

Ahmuldein
June 4, 2015

Funny, I just talked about the Inheritance Series about 10 minutes ago on this site. No, it is nothing like that. The dragons are named by words that consist of the dragon language. Typically these are a combination of three, one syllable words that make a name.

E.x:

Paar-Thur-Nax

Al-Du-In

Od-Ah-Viing

These names typically have representation of power. For example, Odahviing literally translates to Snow-hunter-wing, but the translations can be altered if wanted once in English to be Winged-snow-hunter or whatever the preference is.

However, now that the language is developed, we can use any three to four syllable word to create a name. It is very unlikely obviously to have a word in dovahzul like "telephone" be a name, however there are times when a two syllable word can be used along side a one syllable word to make a name. ex. Auslovaas (aus-suffer lovaas-music).

Their names can be based off of personality, I guess Alduin is a destroyer and a master, but the name doesnt really have a huge impact on personality. 

by Ahmuldein
June 4, 2015

Funny, I just talked about the Inheritance Series about 10 minutes ago on this site. No, it is nothing like that. The dragons are named by words that consist of the dragon language. Typically these are a combination of three, one syllable words that make a name.

E.x:

Paar-Thur-Nax

Al-Du-In

Od-Ah-Viing

These names typically have representation of power. For example, Odahviing literally translates to Snow-hunter-wing, but the translations can be altered if wanted once in English to be Winged-snow-hunter or whatever the preference is.

However, now that the language is developed, we can use any three to four syllable word to create a name. It is very unlikely obviously to have a word in dovahzul like "telephone" be a name, however there are times when a two syllable word can be used along side a one syllable word to make a name. ex. Auslovaas (aus-suffer lovaas-music).

Their names can be based off of personality, I guess Alduin is a destroyer and a master, but the name doesnt really have a huge impact on personality. 

Ahmuldein
June 4, 2015

For more information on making your own dragon name and studying their structure, look here

by Ahmuldein
June 4, 2015

For more information on making your own dragon name and studying their structure, look here

dragonlord001
June 4, 2015
Ahmuldein

thank you for the help. thats something that i have always been curious about in skyrim

by dragonlord001
June 4, 2015
Ahmuldein

thank you for the help. thats something that i have always been curious about in skyrim

Mohamed kunpaarin
July 25, 2015

is kunpaarin considered a dragon i made it up from kun paar in 

light ambition master

by Mohamed kunpaarin
July 25, 2015

light ambition master

Frinmulaar
July 28, 2015
Mohamed kunpaarin

light ambition master

Yes, Kunpaarin is a dragon name if anything is. By the book, really.

by Frinmulaar
July 28, 2015
Mohamed kunpaarin

light ambition master

Yes, Kunpaarin is a dragon name if anything is. By the book, really.

Tanzyolviing
July 31, 2015

I based my dragon name on what she looks like. A red female dragon, and so I tried to choose something that would fit her. She is passionate and will fight for her passions, and so people say fighting is like dancing, so I named her Tanzyolviing. Literally, Dance-Fire-Wing. But probably best translated as Dancing Fire wing. Due to her habit of constantly circling in the air using her fire shout in battle, and so it looks like a dance.

by Tanzyolviing
July 31, 2015

I based my dragon name on what she looks like. A red female dragon, and so I tried to choose something that would fit her. She is passionate and will fight for her passions, and so people say fighting is like dancing, so I named her Tanzyolviing. Literally, Dance-Fire-Wing. But probably best translated as Dancing Fire wing. Due to her habit of constantly circling in the air using her fire shout in battle, and so it looks like a dance.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.