Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

What is the best way to learn the words?

Dundarb
July 6, 2015

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

by Dundarb
July 6, 2015

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

Ahmuldein
July 6, 2015

I highly recommend Memrise. There is a canon course there that will make you relatively capable with the language. Also, you can do the non canon course as well. These courses give you a total vocab of about 1700 words (or 1100 if canon is included in the non canon course which it may be) that will make you conversationally fluent. 

by Ahmuldein
July 6, 2015

I highly recommend Memrise. There is a canon course there that will make you relatively capable with the language. Also, you can do the non canon course as well. These courses give you a total vocab of about 1700 words (or 1100 if canon is included in the non canon course which it may be) that will make you conversationally fluent. 

Dundarb
July 6, 2015
Ahmuldein

Thank you, but I have another question about memrise: What is the est. time it will take to complete these courses?

by Dundarb
July 6, 2015
Ahmuldein

Thank you, but I have another question about memrise: What is the est. time it will take to complete these courses?

DosSeThul
July 6, 2015

dii pruzaan tolaas fund kos daar:

brah rotuniik wah wahl sahgaat, ruz zulgah zuvir tol sahgaat erei nii los wahlaan vahrukt.

English:

my best advice would be this: 
use the translator to make a phrase, then vocally repeat that phrase until it has been memorized.

by DosSeThul
July 6, 2015

brah rotuniik wah wahl sahgaat, ruz zulgah zuvir tol sahgaat erei nii los wahlaan vahrukt.

English:

my best advice would be this: 
use the translator to make a phrase, then vocally repeat that phrase until it has been memorized.

Dundarb
July 6, 2015
LaatDoVahzahDov

my best advise would be this: 
use the translator to build a phrase, then vocally repeat that phrase until it has been memorized.

like some of the phrases in the Learning Dovahzul PDF?

by Dundarb
July 6, 2015
LaatDoVahzahDov

my best advise would be this: 
use the translator to build a phrase, then vocally repeat that phrase until it has been memorized.

like some of the phrases in the Learning Dovahzul PDF?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 7, 2015

@LaatDoVahzahDov I would strongly recommend not using the translator for learning, as a matter of fact, since it is prone to mistakes and inconsistencies that a beginner might not notice. It would be easy to learn the language wrong. Memrise is going to be your best bet for learning vocabulary. I should also note that the Learning Dovahzul book is quite outdated. Use the Learn pages instead where possible.

by paarthurnax
July 7, 2015

@LaatDoVahzahDov I would strongly recommend not using the translator for learning, as a matter of fact, since it is prone to mistakes and inconsistencies that a beginner might not notice. It would be easy to learn the language wrong. Memrise is going to be your best bet for learning vocabulary. I should also note that the Learning Dovahzul book is quite outdated. Use the Learn pages instead where possible.

Orkar Isber
July 7, 2015

In general the best way to learn a language is by using it.

I am working on a course for youtube that will use simple methods to make you use the language as much as possible. The brain memorises things that it deems "important" and wanting to learn a language helps  but your only way to make sure your brain memorieses stuff is to use it as often as possible.

You can create simple sentences in english, and then translate them. (without using the translator)

then read sentences in dovahzul, like world walls, and translate them to english.

Speak dovahzul if you can, from simple things like greeting friends with Drem Yol Lok or Ahnok to actually speaking in sentences (and if its just yourself)

The skyrim song "Sovngarde" features quite some canon words and i memorised those the easiest as i listened to the song and read the translation along and hearing the words helps.

Actually there are learning types, some learn easiest from writing, some from viewing, some from hearing - but in any case if you are able to hear the words it really helps to memorise them

by Orkar Isber
July 7, 2015

In general the best way to learn a language is by using it.

I am working on a course for youtube that will use simple methods to make you use the language as much as possible. The brain memorises things that it deems "important" and wanting to learn a language helps  but your only way to make sure your brain memorieses stuff is to use it as often as possible.

You can create simple sentences in english, and then translate them. (without using the translator)

then read sentences in dovahzul, like world walls, and translate them to english.

Speak dovahzul if you can, from simple things like greeting friends with Drem Yol Lok or Ahnok to actually speaking in sentences (and if its just yourself)

The skyrim song "Sovngarde" features quite some canon words and i memorised those the easiest as i listened to the song and read the translation along and hearing the words helps.

Actually there are learning types, some learn easiest from writing, some from viewing, some from hearing - but in any case if you are able to hear the words it really helps to memorise them

Dundarb
July 7, 2015
paarthurnax
I should also note that the Learning Dovahzul book is quite outdated. Use the Learn pages instead where possible.

If I may ask, why is the Learn Dovahzul book outdated?

by Dundarb
July 7, 2015
paarthurnax
I should also note that the Learning Dovahzul book is quite outdated. Use the Learn pages instead where possible.

Kosenu
July 8, 2015
Dundarb
paarthurnax

Because we have gained much more knowledge of the language since then: we have more sources (DLC dialogue, as an example), and have noticed that some rules we thought were true weren't, or that things in the book were otherwise incorrect.

by Kosenu
July 8, 2015
Dundarb
paarthurnax

Because we have gained much more knowledge of the language since then: we have more sources (DLC dialogue, as an example), and have noticed that some rules we thought were true weren't, or that things in the book were otherwise incorrect.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.