Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Duolingo

Kosenu
July 14, 2015

Drem yol lok.

Today I noticed that Duolingo has a Klingon course in the works. Now, I myself am a big fan of Duolingo, but they lack one thing a lot: courses. We could start working on a Dovahzul course with the community here: it'll attract new learners, and will give people another alternative for learning, which is always good.

There is one problem I can think of: the amount of words available in canon Dovahzul. Teaching non-canon outside of Thuum.org is something I consider bad style, and it might be hard here and there to make good exercises with the limited vocab Dovahzul has, but I think this can be overcome.

Now, I want to know what you guys think, and who would be willing to help if we decide to do this. Please share your thoughts.

by Kosenu
July 14, 2015

Drem yol lok.

Today I noticed that Duolingo has a Klingon course in the works. Now, I myself am a big fan of Duolingo, but they lack one thing a lot: courses. We could start working on a Dovahzul course with the community here: it'll attract new learners, and will give people another alternative for learning, which is always good.

There is one problem I can think of: the amount of words available in canon Dovahzul. Teaching non-canon outside of Thuum.org is something I consider bad style, and it might be hard here and there to make good exercises with the limited vocab Dovahzul has, but I think this can be overcome.

Now, I want to know what you guys think, and who would be willing to help if we decide to do this. Please share your thoughts.

Liis
Administrator
July 14, 2015
Couldn't we make separate courses for canon and semi-canon => non-canon like Memrise?
by Liis
July 14, 2015
Couldn't we make separate courses for canon and semi-canon => non-canon like Memrise?

Kosenu
July 14, 2015
Liis

I'm not sure, Duolingo isn't set up too liberally: courses need to get approved. I could send an email to them, to see what they think?

by Kosenu
July 14, 2015
Liis

I'm not sure, Duolingo isn't set up too liberally: courses need to get approved. I could send an email to them, to see what they think?

Orkar Isber
July 14, 2015
Kosenu

You should do that definitely. However the canon vocabulary is very limited - same goes for Klingon btw - so inventing words for the sake of communication is neccessary and in my oppinion, if a major group gathers to do exactly that, and this community has the backup of other dovahzul communities, is the only significant one or simply the only one doing so these words become "canon"

Its the same in actual language - people invent new words all day and if a large enough group starts using these new invented words they get written into the dictionary and become canon though they were freely invented. Back in the 18th century quite some authors invented over 100 new words into the english language that didnt exist before

by Orkar Isber
July 14, 2015
Kosenu

You should do that definitely. However the canon vocabulary is very limited - same goes for Klingon btw - so inventing words for the sake of communication is neccessary and in my oppinion, if a major group gathers to do exactly that, and this community has the backup of other dovahzul communities, is the only significant one or simply the only one doing so these words become "canon"

Its the same in actual language - people invent new words all day and if a large enough group starts using these new invented words they get written into the dictionary and become canon though they were freely invented. Back in the 18th century quite some authors invented over 100 new words into the english language that didnt exist before

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.