by Ruvgein
January 6, 2017
@LordOlbodiis

Please see this:

Link

Dezonikso
February 2, 2017
paarthurnax

Feykro 'forest' and galik 'pine' would be the closest related words. A "wooden house" might be a hofkahsefeykro "house of the forest".

Also there is Reyth for Tree, correct? Hofkahsereyth or Reyth-hofkah could work interchangeably, or even as separate meanings (one being made of tree and one being made in a tree).

by Dezonikso
February 2, 2017
paarthurnax

Feykro 'forest' and galik 'pine' would be the closest related words. A "wooden house" might be a hofkahsefeykro "house of the forest".

Also there is Reyth for Tree, correct? Hofkahsereyth or Reyth-hofkah could work interchangeably, or even as separate meanings (one being made of tree and one being made in a tree).

Frinmulaar
May 22, 2017

"Without" needs to return voth nid, as in voth nid balaan klov praan nau.

by Frinmulaar
May 22, 2017

"Without" needs to return voth nid, as in voth nid balaan klov praan nau.

Frinmulaar
June 12, 2017
"Person" could point to gein as well as mun, for versatility in general statements.
by Frinmulaar
June 12, 2017
"Person" could point to gein as well as mun, for versatility in general statements.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 13, 2017
Frinmulaar

Sounds good, I've pointed "person" to gein as well.

by paarthurnax
June 13, 2017
Frinmulaar

Sounds good, I've pointed "person" to gein as well.

JimmyCasket
June 17, 2017
You need words like ready and prepare, doing a Skyrim roleplay, and I couldnt say "Unworthy fools, prepare to die", had to opt to "Hi Vobalaan Mey, Dir", not very intimidating sounding, but its "you unworthy fools, die" :\
by JimmyCasket
June 17, 2017
You need words like ready and prepare, doing a Skyrim roleplay, and I couldnt say "Unworthy fools, prepare to die", had to opt to "Hi Vobalaan Mey, Dir", not very intimidating sounding, but its "you unworthy fools, die" :\

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 17, 2017
JimmyCasket

If you're ever really hurting for a word, check out the Legacy Dictionary, which contains a number of fanmade words.

Otherwise, here some canon alternatives for the expression:

• Grind hin dinok, vobalaan mey! 'Meet your death, unworthy fool!'
  • Zu'u hin oblaan, vobalaan mey! 'I am your end, unworthy fool!'
  • Unslaad krosis, vobalaan mey! 'Unending sorrow, unworthy fool!'
by paarthurnax
June 17, 2017
JimmyCasket

If you're ever really hurting for a word, check out the Legacy Dictionary, which contains a number of fanmade words.

Otherwise, here some canon alternatives for the expression:

• Grind hin dinok, vobalaan mey! 'Meet your death, unworthy fool!'
  • Zu'u hin oblaan, vobalaan mey! 'I am your end, unworthy fool!'
  • Unslaad krosis, vobalaan mey! 'Unending sorrow, unworthy fool!'

DragonPriestNahkriin
June 30, 2017
So I've noticed that both After and Life have their own translations but Afterlife as a compound word doesn't. This makes no sense, I suggest it be translated to Mindinlaas, the combination of Mindin and Laas.
by DragonPriestNahkriin
June 30, 2017
So I've noticed that both After and Life have their own translations but Afterlife as a compound word doesn't. This makes no sense, I suggest it be translated to Mindinlaas, the combination of Mindin and Laas.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 30, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin

The words found in the dictionary are those found in-game. Since the volume of the dragon language is fairly limited, this means translations for many words may not appear—even compound words that, in English, may seem obvious.

From a lore perspective, dragons have no "afterlife". For Nords, "Sovngarde" as a name is loaned quite commonly  throughout the dragon language, so I would consider using "Sovngarde" wherever possible. If you need a term that refers to any afterlife in general, something like sil-laas 'soul-life' might apply best since it's a very direct term.

by paarthurnax
June 30, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin

The words found in the dictionary are those found in-game. Since the volume of the dragon language is fairly limited, this means translations for many words may not appear—even compound words that, in English, may seem obvious.

From a lore perspective, dragons have no "afterlife". For Nords, "Sovngarde" as a name is loaned quite commonly  throughout the dragon language, so I would consider using "Sovngarde" wherever possible. If you need a term that refers to any afterlife in general, something like sil-laas 'soul-life' might apply best since it's a very direct term.

Frinmulaar
June 30, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin

What's more, if you treat draconic like a naturalistic language, there is little grounds to assume the word is a compound with identical construction to the English one.

by Frinmulaar
June 30, 2017
DragonPriestNahkriin

What's more, if you treat draconic like a naturalistic language, there is little grounds to assume the word is a compound with identical construction to the English one.

Zinrahzul
June 30, 2017
Frinmulaar

Also, a particular "afterlife" is culture-dependent. Sovngarde fits for Skyrim, but not elsewhere (or Elsweyr for that matter). It seems to me that the construct "afterlife" is contextual to where a lot of different cultures meet -- so much so that a generic term needed to be used.

by Zinrahzul
June 30, 2017
Frinmulaar

Also, a particular "afterlife" is culture-dependent. Sovngarde fits for Skyrim, but not elsewhere (or Elsweyr for that matter). It seems to me that the construct "afterlife" is contextual to where a lot of different cultures meet -- so much so that a generic term needed to be used.

sjs42
August 8, 2017

If I am understanding this right, you are looking for additional English words that could be translated as existing Dragon words? 
If that is the case, in my practice I have noticed there is no word for "City" or "Town". I have used Sahsun "Village" in their place, which means roughly the same thing. Similarly I have not found a word for "State" (in the political sense), but I think Junaar "Province" works well in it's place.

I'm very new to all this, so I might not be exactly right here.

by sjs42
August 8, 2017

If I am understanding this right, you are looking for additional English words that could be translated as existing Dragon words? 
If that is the case, in my practice I have noticed there is no word for "City" or "Town". I have used Sahsun "Village" in their place, which means roughly the same thing. Similarly I have not found a word for "State" (in the political sense), but I think Junaar "Province" works well in it's place.

I'm very new to all this, so I might not be exactly right here.

WavyPlacebo1207
August 30, 2017
@paarthurnax you should make "Love" a word in Dragon tongue
by WavyPlacebo1207
August 30, 2017

Frinmulaar
August 30, 2017
WavyPlacebo1207

Please kindly concentrate on striving to attempt comprehension of the notion that Thuum.org did not create the dragon language and thus cannot modify it.

This thread deals with translating the word.

by Frinmulaar
August 30, 2017
WavyPlacebo1207

Please kindly concentrate on striving to attempt comprehension of the notion that Thuum.org did not create the dragon language and thus cannot modify it.

This thread deals with translating the word.

Siegfry
September 8, 2017

I just found out there was no word for "more" so I propose "Zir" for concrete like "more cheese" and for adjective standing for "more than" we have "Pogaas" already. But in the case of "much more" I present "Tuk" so we get "Pogaas tuk" instead of "pogaas pogaas"

by Siegfry
September 8, 2017

I just found out there was no word for "more" so I propose "Zir" for concrete like "more cheese" and for adjective standing for "more than" we have "Pogaas" already. But in the case of "much more" I present "Tuk" so we get "Pogaas tuk" instead of "pogaas pogaas"

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  17  18  19  20 > >>