Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The word "Everything" in Thu'um?

MajorT
April 27, 2017

Hi everyone!

I am new here, hoping someone can help me with the word "everything".

I am planning to do a tattoo, mixing my two favorite games, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 3. My initial thought was to do just a shout from Skyrim, but then I thought I might be able to translate a quote from The Witcher into Thu'um.

The quote I am looking to translate is: "Not everything fair is good".

I've searced forums and other sites, and managed to find all the words and translations, except for the word "everything".

Not: Ni
Fair: Paaz
Is: Los
Good: Kul

Hopefully those are correct.

What I'm now missing is the word "everything". The closest I've managed to find is "Lein", the word for "world". I don't know if that would be the correct word, so I'd like some help figuring it out.

Thanks a ton for your help, greatly appreciated!

With regards

by MajorT
April 27, 2017

Hi everyone!

I am new here, hoping someone can help me with the word "everything".

I am planning to do a tattoo, mixing my two favorite games, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Witcher 3. My initial thought was to do just a shout from Skyrim, but then I thought I might be able to translate a quote from The Witcher into Thu'um.

The quote I am looking to translate is: "Not everything fair is good".

I've searced forums and other sites, and managed to find all the words and translations, except for the word "everything".

Not: Ni
Fair: Paaz
Is: Los
Good: Kul

Hopefully those are correct.

What I'm now missing is the word "everything". The closest I've managed to find is "Lein", the word for "world". I don't know if that would be the correct word, so I'd like some help figuring it out.

Thanks a ton for your help, greatly appreciated!

With regards

Frinmulaar
April 27, 2017
The word 'pah' is closest to your request. It is used as follows: pah sonaak "all the priests", pah hokoron "all the enemies", pah hind "the whole of hope".

With that sorted, another clarification is necessary. What exact nuance of 'fair' are you going after? Beautiful, righteous, just?
by Frinmulaar
April 27, 2017
The word 'pah' is closest to your request. It is used as follows: pah sonaak "all the priests", pah hokoron "all the enemies", pah hind "the whole of hope".

With that sorted, another clarification is necessary. What exact nuance of 'fair' are you going after? Beautiful, righteous, just?

MajorT
April 28, 2017
Frinmulaar
The word 'pah' is closest to your request. It is used as follows: pah sonaak "all the priests", pah hokoron "all the enemies", pah hind "the whole of hope". With that sorted, another clarification is necessary. What exact nuance of 'fair' are you going after? Beautiful, righteous, just?

Hi Frinmulaar, and thank you very much for your help!

The full quote is as follows: "But not everything monstrous-looking is evil, and not everything fair is good".

English is not my native language, but I'd think it would be closer to "beautiful" than something else, since it earlier in the quote states "monstrous-looking".

While looking at the connotations for the word Paaz: "Closer in meaning to ‘great’, ‘beautiful’, or ‘pleasant’ (‘a fair day’), should typically not be used to mean ‘equal’ or ‘just’."

Would you agree that it would be the best word?

Again, thank you so much!

by MajorT
April 28, 2017
Frinmulaar
The word 'pah' is closest to your request. It is used as follows: pah sonaak "all the priests", pah hokoron "all the enemies", pah hind "the whole of hope". With that sorted, another clarification is necessary. What exact nuance of 'fair' are you going after? Beautiful, righteous, just?

Hi Frinmulaar, and thank you very much for your help!

The full quote is as follows: "But not everything monstrous-looking is evil, and not everything fair is good".

English is not my native language, but I'd think it would be closer to "beautiful" than something else, since it earlier in the quote states "monstrous-looking".

While looking at the connotations for the word Paaz: "Closer in meaning to ‘great’, ‘beautiful’, or ‘pleasant’ (‘a fair day’), should typically not be used to mean ‘equal’ or ‘just’."

Would you agree that it would be the best word?

Again, thank you so much!

Frinmulaar
April 28, 2017

Paaz is fine, but if you absolutely want to be on the safe side, choose brit, which is unambiguously only visually pleasing. Otherwise the decision between ni pah paaz los kul and ni pah brit los kul is up to which one sounds best to your ear. Many sentences also require tweaking to get rid of telltale English structures, but here the languages are close enough to each other that this is unnecessary.

by Frinmulaar
April 28, 2017

Paaz is fine, but if you absolutely want to be on the safe side, choose brit, which is unambiguously only visually pleasing. Otherwise the decision between ni pah paaz los kul and ni pah brit los kul is up to which one sounds best to your ear. Many sentences also require tweaking to get rid of telltale English structures, but here the languages are close enough to each other that this is unnecessary.

MajorT
April 28, 2017

I think that your other suggestions brit sounds more pleasing to the ear, also it seems to fit in more accurately when looking at the description of the word.

So; ni pah brit los kul.

Thanks a ton for your help, invaluable for someone just entering and learning about Thu'um.

I'll be sure to recommend this site to others.

by MajorT
April 28, 2017

I think that your other suggestions brit sounds more pleasing to the ear, also it seems to fit in more accurately when looking at the description of the word.

So; ni pah brit los kul.

Thanks a ton for your help, invaluable for someone just entering and learning about Thu'um.

amalgamcore
May 1, 2017
MajorT

So; ni pah brit los kul.

Thanks!

by amalgamcore
May 1, 2017
MajorT

So; ni pah brit los kul.

Thanks!

amalgamcore
May 1, 2017
amalgamcore

i was wondering too

by amalgamcore
May 1, 2017
amalgamcore

i was wondering too

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.