Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Help A New Learner

CT7122Bolts
October 20, 2017

So, in case the title and description didn't give it away, I'm currently working my way through the lessons here, in order to learn Dovahzul, but I have a few questions. As I imagine these will be far from the last ones I have, I'm making this, so I can come back and pester- I mean post more.

Questions of the day have to do with the runic spellings of zu'u. Even though the romantic spelling stays the same for subject, object, and reflexive, the runic spelling is different for all of them. One of them even seems to include an appostraphy, even though it's said earlier in the lessons that there is no written appostraphy. As such, some clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! 

by CT7122Bolts
October 20, 2017

So, in case the title and description didn't give it away, I'm currently working my way through the lessons here, in order to learn Dovahzul, but I have a few questions. As I imagine these will be far from the last ones I have, I'm making this, so I can come back and pester- I mean post more.

Questions of the day have to do with the runic spellings of zu'u. Even though the romantic spelling stays the same for subject, object, and reflexive, the runic spelling is different for all of them. One of them even seems to include an appostraphy, even though it's said earlier in the lessons that there is no written appostraphy. As such, some clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! 

Liis
Administrator
October 21, 2017
The runes in the lessons corresponding to "Me" is "Zey", which is a fan-made word. Canon options are shown to the right of the runes. "Zu'u" is assumed to be the accusative spelling as well as the nominative, reflexive and dative - as seen in the chart further above the runes.
by Liis
October 21, 2017
The runes in the lessons corresponding to "Me" is "Zey", which is a fan-made word. Canon options are shown to the right of the runes. "Zu'u" is assumed to be the accusative spelling as well as the nominative, reflexive and dative - as seen in the chart further above the runes.

CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

Well, that may be the case, but nowhere in the lesson is the romantic spelling of "Zey" found. The lesson only seems to use "Zu'u" and "Dii" in the romantic alphabet, even when the runic spelling does use "Zey". And there's still the matter of what I think is supposed to be an apostraphy, despite an earlier lesson stating there isn't one in Dovahzul.

by CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

Well, that may be the case, but nowhere in the lesson is the romantic spelling of "Zey" found. The lesson only seems to use "Zu'u" and "Dii" in the romantic alphabet, even when the runic spelling does use "Zey". And there's still the matter of what I think is supposed to be an apostraphy, despite an earlier lesson stating there isn't one in Dovahzul.

Liis
Administrator
October 21, 2017
The apostrophe - optional in itself - represents an optional glottal stop, not any letters.
by Liis
October 21, 2017
The apostrophe - optional in itself - represents an optional glottal stop, not any letters.

CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

So, to sum up, Zey is used for accusative case in place of Zu'u, there is a written appostraphy in Dovahzul, and said appostraphy is used in the runic spelling of Zu'u when used in the reflexive to indicate the optional glottal stop, meaning that in the nominative case Zu'u is simply pronounced "zoo", correct?

by CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

So, to sum up, Zey is used for accusative case in place of Zu'u, there is a written appostraphy in Dovahzul, and said appostraphy is used in the runic spelling of Zu'u when used in the reflexive to indicate the optional glottal stop, meaning that in the nominative case Zu'u is simply pronounced "zoo", correct?

Liis
Administrator
October 21, 2017
"Zu'u" can be pronounced "zoo" or with a glottal stop in any case. It's entirely up to the speaker to decide. It doesn't matter which. "Zey" is a fan-made word and will not be understood by anyone without knowledge from this site.
by Liis
October 21, 2017
"Zu'u" can be pronounced "zoo" or with a glottal stop in any case. It's entirely up to the speaker to decide. It doesn't matter which. "Zey" is a fan-made word and will not be understood by anyone without knowledge from this site.

CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

Are there other places than here to learn the language this comprehensively? And I take it Zey is another "take it or leave it" thing, correct?

by CT7122Bolts
October 21, 2017
Liis

Are there other places than here to learn the language this comprehensively? And I take it Zey is another "take it or leave it" thing, correct?

Liis
Administrator
October 21, 2017
This helps for memorisation.
Fan-made vocabulary is generally being pushed away. It is no longer supported, but it's not generally a shame for personal use.
by Liis
October 21, 2017
This helps for memorisation.

Fan-made vocabulary is generally being pushed away. It is no longer supported, but it's not generally a shame for personal use.

ThurDoSil
November 1, 2017

i am a new memberand i need help. is there a unicode for dovahzul, how do i get items and why does dovahzul exist?

by ThurDoSil
November 1, 2017

i am a new memberand i need help. is there a unicode for dovahzul, how do i get items and why does dovahzul exist?

Liis
Administrator
November 1, 2017
@Cylumad564,

- Dovahzul runes can be rendered (on-site only) by surrounding the desired text within square brackets.
- You can download the font "Dragon Alphabet Font" from the Library.
- Dovahzul exists for the same reason the elvish languages exist from Lord of the Rings.
by Liis
November 1, 2017
@Cylumad564,

- Dovahzul runes can be rendered (on-site only) by surrounding the desired text within square brackets.

- You can download the font "Dragon Alphabet Font" from the Library.

- Dovahzul exists for the same reason the elvish languages exist from Lord of the Rings.

Yoldrun
November 17, 2017

Hi, I'm new to the site and was just asking why there isn't (from what I've been able to see) a translation for "love"? 

by Yoldrun
November 17, 2017

Hi, I'm new to the site and was just asking why there isn't (from what I've been able to see) a translation for "love"? 

Hahdremro
November 21, 2017
Yoldrun

Because the word "love" isn't used in the source material. There is no mention of a canonical Dovahzul word for "love" in the game, the Prima Official Game Guide, or any other officially released Elder Scrolls material. The Legacy (fan-made) word for love is lokaal, but the Legacy dictionary is no longer being maintained by the community.

To answer your question from a lore perspective, dragons don't have any need for love. They do not mate because they are lesser Aedra, and they do not need companionship for anything other than to further their own goals. In-universe, there's probably an Ancient Nord word for "love," but it is not encountered at any point in the Elder Scrolls games. Alas, large sections of the language have likely been lost to the ages as war destroyed the ruins of the once great civilization of the Nords.

Also, is this the general newcomer questions thread now? If so, I'm totally cool with it. Just checking with the mods.

by Hahdremro
November 21, 2017
Yoldrun

Because the word "love" isn't used in the source material. There is no mention of a canonical Dovahzul word for "love" in the game, the Prima Official Game Guide, or any other officially released Elder Scrolls material. The Legacy (fan-made) word for love is lokaal, but the Legacy dictionary is no longer being maintained by the community.

To answer your question from a lore perspective, dragons don't have any need for love. They do not mate because they are lesser Aedra, and they do not need companionship for anything other than to further their own goals. In-universe, there's probably an Ancient Nord word for "love," but it is not encountered at any point in the Elder Scrolls games. Alas, large sections of the language have likely been lost to the ages as war destroyed the ruins of the once great civilization of the Nords.

Also, is this the general newcomer questions thread now? If so, I'm totally cool with it. Just checking with the mods.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.