Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

About the pronunciation of "aa"

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Hello everybody!

I was listening some dragon shouts on an Android app I recently download (called "Skyrim Dragon Shouts"), and I noticed that the "aa" is almost always pronounced as a /É‘:/ rather than a /É’/. I decided to verify my ears weren't sending me wrong ideas by going on the Elder Scrolls' wikia, aaaaaaannd... I think you gessed it, I again heard a /É‘:/ instead of a /É’/ (but it rarely happened). But I don't know if it's the same in Skyrim's discussions.
However, I propose to add this pronunciation into the lessons.

What do you think about this?

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Hello everybody!

I was listening some dragon shouts on an Android app I recently download (called "Skyrim Dragon Shouts"), and I noticed that the "aa" is almost always pronounced as a /É‘:/ rather than a /É’/. I decided to verify my ears weren't sending me wrong ideas by going on the Elder Scrolls' wikia, aaaaaaannd... I think you gessed it, I again heard a /É‘:/ instead of a /É’/ (but it rarely happened). But I don't know if it's the same in Skyrim's discussions.
However, I propose to add this pronunciation into the lessons.

What do you think about this?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 4, 2014

It's a really subtle distinction - listening to the first 3 Shouts the wiki lists sounds pretty clearly like /É’/ to me.  Someone actually asked on the pronunciation of "aa" earlier so I have some extra links up my sleeves:

For the sake of being thorough, I don't think it would hurt to add "sometimes /a:/" to the lesson.

by paarthurnax
February 4, 2014

It's a really subtle distinction - listening to the first 3 Shouts the wiki lists sounds pretty clearly like /É’/ to me.  Someone actually asked on the pronunciation of "aa" earlier so I have some extra links up my sleeves:

For the sake of being thorough, I don't think it would hurt to add "sometimes /a:/" to the lesson.

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Well, in my opinion, it actually sounds more like a /É‘:/ as it can be heard here than as the /É’/ heard here~

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Well, in my opinion, it actually sounds more like a /É‘:/ as it can be heard here than as the /É’/ heard here~

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 4, 2014

Sorry for the confusion, I am using this chart (also on Wikipedia) for IPA which lists this sound as /É’/ and the other (incorrect) one as /É”:/.

by paarthurnax
February 4, 2014

Sorry for the confusion, I am using this chart (also on Wikipedia) for IPA which lists this sound as /É’/ and the other (incorrect) one as /É”:/.

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Well, the second one you write as /É”:/ is pronounced as heard here.
But I guess from where comes from the confusion: you're American, aren't you? Or, at least, your English is american. There's a difference between American pronunciation and the British one, as we can hear on your website. For example, the British pronunciation of "not" is /nÉ’t/, and the American pronunciation is /nÉ‘:t/. The same for "call" /kÉ”:l/ (Brit.) and /kÉ’l/ (Amer.) (you can check the annotations down the page).
The referent pronunciation is actually the British one (sorry for American people).

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

Well, the second one you write as /É”:/ is pronounced as heard here.
But I guess from where comes from the confusion: you're American, aren't you? Or, at least, your English is american. There's a difference between American pronunciation and the British one, as we can hear on your website. For example, the British pronunciation of "not" is /nÉ’t/, and the American pronunciation is /nÉ‘:t/. The same for "call" /kÉ”:l/ (Brit.) and /kÉ’l/ (Amer.) (you can check the annotations down the page).
The referent pronunciation is actually the British one (sorry for American people).

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 4, 2014

Ah, I see. So does this mean AA and AH have the same pronunciation?

by paarthurnax
February 4, 2014

Ah, I see. So does this mean AA and AH have the same pronunciation?

Drakpa
February 4, 2014

It seems so, just as "u", "uu" and "oo" are pronounced /u:/. The little difference between "ah" and "aa" would be, in my opinion, that "ah" sometimes ends with a sligh expiration, and as it has already been said i rarely pronouced /É‘x/.

by Drakpa
February 4, 2014

It seems so, just as "u", "uu" and "oo" are pronounced /u:/. The little difference between "ah" and "aa" would be, in my opinion, that "ah" sometimes ends with a sligh expiration, and as it has already been said i rarely pronouced /É‘x/.

Sandpiper
February 8, 2014

I know this thread has more or less been resolved, but I did want to add my two cents. :) Namely, that first IPA link you posted, paathurnax, has multiple errors and I wouldn't use it for a reference in the future. /É‘:/ and /É’/ have been thoroughly mixed up from what I can hear; the American examples for /É’/ are very, very clearly /É‘:/. (After having to transcribe both American and British English in IPA 3 days a week for several months, I'm pretty confident about this haha.) In the American example of "little," the first 'l' is clearly /l/ (alveolar lateral approximant) but the second is actually a syllabic alveolar lateral approximant which is different. Using the 't's in "getting" as an example of /t/ in American English is really inaccurate. In this context, /t/ will virtually always be pronounced as its allophone /ɾ/, even in the most standard American dialects. The audio example does use /t/ but you will never hear a native speaker of American English pronounce it that way! D:

If you need a good audio IPA chart to refer to, I would highly recommend this one. It's accurate and has a much wider range of phonemes.

by Sandpiper
February 8, 2014

I know this thread has more or less been resolved, but I did want to add my two cents. :) Namely, that first IPA link you posted, paathurnax, has multiple errors and I wouldn't use it for a reference in the future. /É‘:/ and /É’/ have been thoroughly mixed up from what I can hear; the American examples for /É’/ are very, very clearly /É‘:/. (After having to transcribe both American and British English in IPA 3 days a week for several months, I'm pretty confident about this haha.) In the American example of "little," the first 'l' is clearly /l/ (alveolar lateral approximant) but the second is actually a syllabic alveolar lateral approximant which is different. Using the 't's in "getting" as an example of /t/ in American English is really inaccurate. In this context, /t/ will virtually always be pronounced as its allophone /ɾ/, even in the most standard American dialects. The audio example does use /t/ but you will never hear a native speaker of American English pronounce it that way! D:

If you need a good audio IPA chart to refer to, I would highly recommend this one. It's accurate and has a much wider range of phonemes.

Drakpa
February 9, 2014

Thanks Sandpiper for this precisions~ (And btw, thanks for the link, I've been searching it for a week now, but I haven't been able to find it again ^^ )

by Drakpa
February 9, 2014

Thanks Sandpiper for this precisions~ (And btw, thanks for the link, I've been searching it for a week now, but I haven't been able to find it again ^^ )

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.