Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

but what does "Thalmor" even MEAN?

scrptrx
March 28, 2014

I have three leading theories, two are reaching...

1. Thal-mor, mor=dark/evil, thal=purify
  2. Thal-mora, mora=woods, thal=protector
  3. Thal-maor, maor=sea, thal-protector

3. The formation of the Thalmor was not an altruistic gesture, however: the Altmer sought to control Valenwood because the region, along with southern Hammerfell, harbored many pirate groups which threatened the shore of the Summerset Isles.

(I kind of doubt "mor" could have come from "mer" unless it is a weird grammatical thing that changes vowels which I don't think Aldmeris has).

Another stretch: "bala" means "power", but I can't see any clear route how "bala" could become "thal". "Fal" means "snow", so "thal" could mean "pure like snow" (about as "out there" as one cold get as far as theorizing!). 

Yet another: "latta" "light" could be twisted around to mean "pure/purity", and "tal" could become "thal".

Some Altmer names from UESP that include "mor":

• Moranarg
  • Mororurg
  • Morgina (probably just taken from Morgana, a common-ish modern name)
  • Morlia, Morlina, Mormia, Morna
  • Morsara, Morsha, Mortha
  • Morsephona
  • Caemor/in, Camoran
  • Stormor/in
  • Thromor/in

And "thal", "tha", "thro", "thor"/"thar", or "tal":

• Mithron
  • Throm- (a common prefix)
  • Orthorn
  • Larethor/in
  • -tha/r (a common suffix)
  • Larethal (only "thal")
  • Estalenya
  • Siltalaure

(I'm starting to think -in is either a diminutive or superlative marker).

Since Larethal is the only thing I found with "thal" in it, I tried to see what "Lare" could mean. Closest I came was similar to "mallari" (gold), which could actually come from "mala-lari", "high-lari", perhaps "high-metal". Another stretch... If Larethal actually comes from La-rethal then I'm at a loss, because "la" means "time" and there is no guess as to what "rethal" could be.

I find it odd that in the Ayleid language there is no use of "TH" unless it's in the word "math" (home). We have basically no Aldmeri words, and none that we have use "TH". 

I'm even going to go as far as to wonder if "thal" isn't a play on "alt", just a meaningless shifting of sounds, and "mor" is the same with "mer".

But I like "wood/sea protector" best in the end. But if "Thalmor" is indeed a compound word, it would read "mor of the thal", in which case "woods/sea of the protector" doesn't make sense. Well, not as MUCH sense. "Thal" could mean "ruler" or "chosen" or something that would say "that sea/forest belongs to us".

It would also make sense if "Thalmor" was just someone's name once upon a time, as both elements can be found in some manner in names used in the various games.

And one more thought, "almo" is a common Altmer name element.

by scrptrx
March 28, 2014

I have three leading theories, two are reaching...

1. Thal-mor, mor=dark/evil, thal=purify
  2. Thal-mora, mora=woods, thal=protector
  3. Thal-maor, maor=sea, thal-protector

3. The formation of the Thalmor was not an altruistic gesture, however: the Altmer sought to control Valenwood because the region, along with southern Hammerfell, harbored many pirate groups which threatened the shore of the Summerset Isles.

(I kind of doubt "mor" could have come from "mer" unless it is a weird grammatical thing that changes vowels which I don't think Aldmeris has).

Another stretch: "bala" means "power", but I can't see any clear route how "bala" could become "thal". "Fal" means "snow", so "thal" could mean "pure like snow" (about as "out there" as one cold get as far as theorizing!). 

Yet another: "latta" "light" could be twisted around to mean "pure/purity", and "tal" could become "thal".

Some Altmer names from UESP that include "mor":

• Moranarg
  • Mororurg
  • Morgina (probably just taken from Morgana, a common-ish modern name)
  • Morlia, Morlina, Mormia, Morna
  • Morsara, Morsha, Mortha
  • Morsephona
  • Caemor/in, Camoran
  • Stormor/in
  • Thromor/in

And "thal", "tha", "thro", "thor"/"thar", or "tal":

• Mithron
  • Throm- (a common prefix)
  • Orthorn
  • Larethor/in
  • -tha/r (a common suffix)
  • Larethal (only "thal")
  • Estalenya
  • Siltalaure

(I'm starting to think -in is either a diminutive or superlative marker).

Since Larethal is the only thing I found with "thal" in it, I tried to see what "Lare" could mean. Closest I came was similar to "mallari" (gold), which could actually come from "mala-lari", "high-lari", perhaps "high-metal". Another stretch... If Larethal actually comes from La-rethal then I'm at a loss, because "la" means "time" and there is no guess as to what "rethal" could be.

I find it odd that in the Ayleid language there is no use of "TH" unless it's in the word "math" (home). We have basically no Aldmeri words, and none that we have use "TH". 

I'm even going to go as far as to wonder if "thal" isn't a play on "alt", just a meaningless shifting of sounds, and "mor" is the same with "mer".

But I like "wood/sea protector" best in the end. But if "Thalmor" is indeed a compound word, it would read "mor of the thal", in which case "woods/sea of the protector" doesn't make sense. Well, not as MUCH sense. "Thal" could mean "ruler" or "chosen" or something that would say "that sea/forest belongs to us".

It would also make sense if "Thalmor" was just someone's name once upon a time, as both elements can be found in some manner in names used in the various games.

And one more thought, "almo" is a common Altmer name element.

scrptrx
March 30, 2014

I also just realized...

not only Saarthal

but Morthal...thalMor...

lol

by scrptrx
March 30, 2014

I also just realized...

not only Saarthal

but Morthal...thalMor...

lol

Tennock
March 31, 2014

High-Elven-Aldmeri-Dominion. 

(Im pretty sure its in Elven. Im not sure :P)

I Dont think it can be Translated ito Dovahzul :P 

by Tennock
March 31, 2014

High-Elven-Aldmeri-Dominion. 

(Im pretty sure its in Elven. Im not sure :P)

I Dont think it can be Translated ito Dovahzul :P 

scrptrx
March 31, 2014

I'm pretty sure "thalmor", a very early construct of the Dominion, is Elven, yes. 

It only can't be translated because we won't know enough Elven/Aldmeris to even know what "thalmor" means.

All names mean something... but sometimes people just have no clue what it was, once upon a time, either because the name is too old or the roots morphed over time.

by scrptrx
March 31, 2014

I'm pretty sure "thalmor", a very early construct of the Dominion, is Elven, yes. 

It only can't be translated because we won't know enough Elven/Aldmeris to even know what "thalmor" means.

All names mean something... but sometimes people just have no clue what it was, once upon a time, either because the name is too old or the roots morphed over time.

Tennock
April 1, 2014

Ah, 

by Tennock
April 1, 2014

Ah, 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.