Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Need help with a word.

BotStrategist
June 4, 2015

I would like some help finding the dragon word for strategist.. I cant seem to find it but managed to find strategy which is grahmin and stratagem which is grahmindol but need help with strategist can anyone help.

by BotStrategist
June 4, 2015

I would like some help finding the dragon word for strategist.. I cant seem to find it but managed to find strategy which is grahmin and stratagem which is grahmindol but need help with strategist can anyone help.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 4, 2015

The suffix -iik can be used to make nouns like wunduniik "traveler" or saviik "savior." Here, it could be used to make grahmindoliik, literally "battle-trickster," for "strategist."

by paarthurnax
June 4, 2015

The suffix -iik can be used to make nouns like wunduniik "traveler" or saviik "savior." Here, it could be used to make grahmindoliik, literally "battle-trickster," for "strategist."

Þórmir
June 4, 2015

I don't know whether you've already considered this, but to summarize: The canon word for ’stratagem’ is grahmindol, which can be analyzed as a compound of grah ’battle’ and mindol ’trick’, both canon. The latter seems to form some kind of a flock with other words that have to do with cognitive perception and knowing, namely mindok ’know’ and mindoraan ’understand, comprehend; understanding, comprehension’.

The derivative affix -iik should be good when forming a ”doer”-denoting neologism. (As paarthurnax points out as I was pondering this.)

I'd thus propably try to go with grahmindoraaniik, literally ”battle-comprehender” or ”battle-comprehensionist”, since isn't that what really is in the essence of being a strategist – understanding how military battles work. (As opposed to exclusively inventing stratagemata or ”tricks” to be executed on the battlefield, which, of course, is an important aspect of the job.) But then again, I'm really not that experienced with the language yet, though...

Grahmindoliik certainly is a lot shorter, at least! So depending where the word is intented to be used the length might be a significant factor to be taken into account, as well.

by Þórmir
June 4, 2015

I don't know whether you've already considered this, but to summarize: The canon word for ’stratagem’ is grahmindol, which can be analyzed as a compound of grah ’battle’ and mindol ’trick’, both canon. The latter seems to form some kind of a flock with other words that have to do with cognitive perception and knowing, namely mindok ’know’ and mindoraan ’understand, comprehend; understanding, comprehension’.

The derivative affix -iik should be good when forming a ”doer”-denoting neologism. (As paarthurnax points out as I was pondering this.)

I'd thus propably try to go with grahmindoraaniik, literally ”battle-comprehender” or ”battle-comprehensionist”, since isn't that what really is in the essence of being a strategist – understanding how military battles work. (As opposed to exclusively inventing stratagemata or ”tricks” to be executed on the battlefield, which, of course, is an important aspect of the job.) But then again, I'm really not that experienced with the language yet, though...

Grahmindoliik certainly is a lot shorter, at least! So depending where the word is intented to be used the length might be a significant factor to be taken into account, as well.

BotStrategist
June 5, 2015

Thank you both i think i will use grahmindoliik for now as im new to learning dovahzul and i am having fun learning what my real name means in real life and translating it into dovahzul to find my dragon name... again thanks for your help. 

by BotStrategist
June 5, 2015

Thank you both i think i will use grahmindoliik for now as im new to learning dovahzul and i am having fun learning what my real name means in real life and translating it into dovahzul to find my dragon name... again thanks for your help. 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.