Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Conversational Dovahzul

<<  <  1  2 

Squeegy
November 10, 2013

IMO, Dovahzul isn't different from any other language in that, as Paarthurnax said, you become fluent in it when you stop translating your thoughts into it and begin thinking in it directly. Practice makes perfect. If you study it (like, actually study it) and use it conversationally, you will learn it.

by Squeegy
November 10, 2013

IMO, Dovahzul isn't different from any other language in that, as Paarthurnax said, you become fluent in it when you stop translating your thoughts into it and begin thinking in it directly. Practice makes perfect. If you study it (like, actually study it) and use it conversationally, you will learn it.

Crotha
November 10, 2013
Toxikyle

Unfortunately, I don't think that a native dovahzul speaker would have any different accent when speaking English. Dovahzul was created by people who speak English, and I bet that when most of us speak it, we do so with our accents. Since dovahzul was created by North Americans and is (for the most part) only spoken by North Americans, I think they would speak English just like a North American.

It may be created by people who speak english, but sometimes it sounds...odd in my ears.
My impression - for most of what I heard - is, that Dovahzul is pronounced too soft. I don't know.
I will for sure put my accent through, but somehow I find it also more appropriate if it sounds more like badass-russian-harsh than the round and soft english pronounciation (which, just to be clear here, is nothing bad - just different!).

like, "los" - in the guide it is pronounced as "low-s", I have a hard time "rounden" the o in the word. "low-k" for lok.
Also like Thu'um, although the apostrophe is not indicating a full stop, i still make one when I read the word without thinking...

Edit #1: btw: I am from Austria, a german native speaker. May be important for this topic xD

by Crotha
November 10, 2013
Toxikyle

Unfortunately, I don't think that a native dovahzul speaker would have any different accent when speaking English. Dovahzul was created by people who speak English, and I bet that when most of us speak it, we do so with our accents. Since dovahzul was created by North Americans and is (for the most part) only spoken by North Americans, I think they would speak English just like a North American.

It may be created by people who speak english, but sometimes it sounds...odd in my ears.
My impression - for most of what I heard - is, that Dovahzul is pronounced too soft. I don't know.
I will for sure put my accent through, but somehow I find it also more appropriate if it sounds more like badass-russian-harsh than the round and soft english pronounciation (which, just to be clear here, is nothing bad - just different!).

like, "los" - in the guide it is pronounced as "low-s", I have a hard time "rounden" the o in the word. "low-k" for lok.
Also like Thu'um, although the apostrophe is not indicating a full stop, i still make one when I read the word without thinking...

Edit #1: btw: I am from Austria, a german native speaker. May be important for this topic xD

AxeTheBarbarian
November 10, 2013
Crotha

I totally agree with you. The Dovah have strong bellowing voices and their language reflects that. I've found myself involuntarily taking a deeper pitch when pronouncing anything in Dovahzul. As you said, it just doesn't sound right otherwise.

by AxeTheBarbarian
November 10, 2013
Crotha

I totally agree with you. The Dovah have strong bellowing voices and their language reflects that. I've found myself involuntarily taking a deeper pitch when pronouncing anything in Dovahzul. As you said, it just doesn't sound right otherwise.

websterhamster
November 12, 2013

Just keep in mind that "canon" Dovahzul is not meant to be functional at all, and as such will never be functional for daily use. The grammar is similar enough to English that with enough added words and a little bit of brainwork, eventually people will be able to use it like some ubernerds use Klingon and Vulcan.

At this point? Nope, not enough basic translations yet.

by websterhamster
November 12, 2013

Just keep in mind that "canon" Dovahzul is not meant to be functional at all, and as such will never be functional for daily use. The grammar is similar enough to English that with enough added words and a little bit of brainwork, eventually people will be able to use it like some ubernerds use Klingon and Vulcan.

Loniizrath
November 13, 2013
websterhamster

I think 4120 words is enough. I've had dovahzul conversations with people with just the words we have.
by Loniizrath
November 13, 2013
websterhamster

I think 4120 words is enough. I've had dovahzul conversations with people with just the words we have.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 13, 2013

We sort of arrive at a point where we have to separate English and Dovahzul. If you're trying to literally translate common English phrases, you will probably run into some roadblocks. Dovahzul will need to develop its own set of phrases, and in some places it already has ("Vahzen", "Krosis", "Vir los?", "Pruzah Wundunne", etc.)

by paarthurnax
November 13, 2013

We sort of arrive at a point where we have to separate English and Dovahzul. If you're trying to literally translate common English phrases, you will probably run into some roadblocks. Dovahzul will need to develop its own set of phrases, and in some places it already has ("Vahzen", "Krosis", "Vir los?", "Pruzah Wundunne", etc.)

Loniizrath
November 13, 2013
paarthurnax

Drem yol lok is an expression of greeting, but translates into "peace fire sky." It makes no sense in English, but it's one of the most important Dovahzul phrases.
by Loniizrath
November 13, 2013
paarthurnax

Drem yol lok is an expression of greeting, but translates into "peace fire sky." It makes no sense in English, but it's one of the most important Dovahzul phrases.
<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.