Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Looking to translate Talosian religious text

Bokreinmah
August 9, 2016

I'm writing an apocryphal text for /r/teslore and wanted to provide a Dovahzul translation. The text is, in-universe, from the twenty-seventh chapter of the book of TALOS, the religious text detailing Tiber Septim's reign and ascension into godhood. Here's the text;

1. Talos saw a vision of a man sleeping in the sun. Surrounding him were twelve worlds, dancing to his whim. Talos said unto the man; "You are ANU, the unending stasis. You granted us form, so that we may live."

2. And the man spoke unto Talos; "No. I gave no gifts. You are but a small part of me. You are but a small part of a fragmented psyche. You are nothing."

3. It was then Talos realized an unbearable truth. He was a fragmented dream, a piece of non-existence. The very substance of reality was an illusion, as was Talos.

4. And the Gods arose from their worlds, rotting husks of what they once were, and they spoke unto Talos; "You are not."

5. But Talos, almighty Tongue, Shouted back at the gods and Shouted back at Nirn, and He said in His holy words; "I am." And Talos became royalty, for royalty in the ancient languages of Man and Mer was CHIM, for that was the secret of the universe.

6. And the Gods bowed their heads in reverance, and raised Talos into the heavens, to take His place as lord of the Divine. The man in the sun touched Talos and granted Him the blessing of the Dream, for Talos had seen through the illusion of the Dream.

7. And as Divine, Talos spoke onto the people of Tamriel; "I breathe now in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, people of Nirn, for I love you." And with His holy word, the land bent itself to His will.

8. The ending of the words is CHIM.

Can anybody provide a translation for me? Don't try and translate CHIM or ANU (mostly because they're already in a foreign tongue, CHIM being Ehlnofex and ANU being Aldmeri, IIRC.)

by Bokreinmah
August 9, 2016

I'm writing an apocryphal text for /r/teslore and wanted to provide a Dovahzul translation. The text is, in-universe, from the twenty-seventh chapter of the book of TALOS, the religious text detailing Tiber Septim's reign and ascension into godhood. Here's the text;

1. Talos saw a vision of a man sleeping in the sun. Surrounding him were twelve worlds, dancing to his whim. Talos said unto the man; "You are ANU, the unending stasis. You granted us form, so that we may live."

2. And the man spoke unto Talos; "No. I gave no gifts. You are but a small part of me. You are but a small part of a fragmented psyche. You are nothing."

3. It was then Talos realized an unbearable truth. He was a fragmented dream, a piece of non-existence. The very substance of reality was an illusion, as was Talos.

4. And the Gods arose from their worlds, rotting husks of what they once were, and they spoke unto Talos; "You are not."

5. But Talos, almighty Tongue, Shouted back at the gods and Shouted back at Nirn, and He said in His holy words; "I am." And Talos became royalty, for royalty in the ancient languages of Man and Mer was CHIM, for that was the secret of the universe.

6. And the Gods bowed their heads in reverance, and raised Talos into the heavens, to take His place as lord of the Divine. The man in the sun touched Talos and granted Him the blessing of the Dream, for Talos had seen through the illusion of the Dream.

7. And as Divine, Talos spoke onto the people of Tamriel; "I breathe now in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, people of Nirn, for I love you." And with His holy word, the land bent itself to His will.

8. The ending of the words is CHIM.

Can anybody provide a translation for me? Don't try and translate CHIM or ANU (mostly because they're already in a foreign tongue, CHIM being Ehlnofex and ANU being Aldmeri, IIRC.)

Frinmulaar
August 9, 2016

Thank you for your question! As an Elder Scrolls legend, your text is well within the realm of translatablility, though some parts will require heavy rephrasing due to the scarcity of canon material. I present my first version below - with literal English included so that you can correct my initial assumptions.

1. Talos koraav voth kosil miin aan mun wo praan tu'um shul. Osos rot lost bo naal ok laan. Talos tinvaak mun: "Hi los ANU mulhaan unslaad. Hi zorox mu, drun mu lahney."
Talos saw with inner eyes a man who rested beneath the sunlight. Some words were moving by his will. Talos spoke to the man: "You are ANU the eternal unmoving. You created us, brought us to life."

2. Ahrk mun tinvaak Talos: "Zu'u zorox nid. Hi los nol zu'u, mal golz nol nus do krent hahdrim. Hi nid."
And the man spoke to Talos: "I created nothing. You are from me, a little stone from the statue of a shattered mind. You are nothing."

3. Ruz Talos mindoraan vol vahzen: Rok lost krent hahnu, aan nahlaas nil. Kos nimaar lost sah, ahrk Talos voth.
Then Talos understood a horrifying truth: He was a broken dream, a living void. Being itself was illusory, and Talos with it.

4. Ahrk rahhe alok nol leinii, vaaz ahrk liiv, ahrk tinvaak Talos: "Hi los ni."
And the gods arose from their worlds, torn and withering, and spoke to Talos: "You are not."

5. Nuz suleykaar zul Talos kod thu'um wah rahhe ol wah Vus, ahrk komeyt revak rein: "Zu'u los." Ond Talos meyz jun, fah jun ko kruziik rot jul ahrk fahliil lost CHIM, ahrk het faal mindok do pah.
But the powerful voice Talos wielded a Shout against the gods as against Nirn, and issued a sacred roar: "I am." Lo, Talos became a king, for king in ancient words of mankind and elves was CHIM, and here was the Knowledge of everything.

6. Ahrk rahhe qiilaan ko zein, ahrk drun Talos wah lokke ful tol rok ofaal du'ul drogserah. Fin munseshul haalvut Talos bolaava kogaan do hahnu, fah Talos drey koraav zeim losehahnu.
And the gods bowed in worship, and brought Talos to the skies so that he receive the crown of a god-lord. The sunlight-man touched Talos to grant the blessing of the dream, for Talos did see past the deception of the dream.

7. Ahrk ol rah Talos tinvaak muz do Taazokaan: "Zu'u su'um nu ol jun, kreh daar golt kolos zu'u rel. Zu'u bolaav hi drehi, julsevus, fah sili los hin aar." Ahrk naal suleykserotii golt lost thaarn.
And as god Talos spoke to the men of Tamriel: "I breathe now as king, bend this land where I reign. I grant you my action, humans of Nirn, for my soul is your servant." And by the power of his word the land obeyed.

8. Laatserot los CHIM.
The conclusion of the words is CHIM.

Of course, canon draconic has neither punctuation nor numbers, but here I have followed yours. If you are going for an authentic tamrielic look, I recommend borrowing those from another writing system or using line breaks generously.

by Frinmulaar
August 9, 2016

Thank you for your question! As an Elder Scrolls legend, your text is well within the realm of translatablility, though some parts will require heavy rephrasing due to the scarcity of canon material. I present my first version below - with literal English included so that you can correct my initial assumptions.

1. Talos koraav voth kosil miin aan mun wo praan tu'um shul. Osos rot lost bo naal ok laan. Talos tinvaak mun: "Hi los ANU mulhaan unslaad. Hi zorox mu, drun mu lahney."
Talos saw with inner eyes a man who rested beneath the sunlight. Some words were moving by his will. Talos spoke to the man: "You are ANU the eternal unmoving. You created us, brought us to life."

2. Ahrk mun tinvaak Talos: "Zu'u zorox nid. Hi los nol zu'u, mal golz nol nus do krent hahdrim. Hi nid."
And the man spoke to Talos: "I created nothing. You are from me, a little stone from the statue of a shattered mind. You are nothing."

3. Ruz Talos mindoraan vol vahzen: Rok lost krent hahnu, aan nahlaas nil. Kos nimaar lost sah, ahrk Talos voth.
Then Talos understood a horrifying truth: He was a broken dream, a living void. Being itself was illusory, and Talos with it.

And the gods arose from their worlds, torn and withering, and spoke to Talos: "You are not."

5. Nuz suleykaar zul Talos kod thu'um wah rahhe ol wah Vus, ahrk komeyt revak rein: "Zu'u los." Ond Talos meyz jun, fah jun ko kruziik rot jul ahrk fahliil lost CHIM, ahrk het faal mindok do pah.
But the powerful voice Talos wielded a Shout against the gods as against Nirn, and issued a sacred roar: "I am." Lo, Talos became a king, for king in ancient words of mankind and elves was CHIM, and here was the Knowledge of everything.

6. Ahrk rahhe qiilaan ko zein, ahrk drun Talos wah lokke ful tol rok ofaal du'ul drogserah. Fin munseshul haalvut Talos bolaava kogaan do hahnu, fah Talos drey koraav zeim losehahnu.
And the gods bowed in worship, and brought Talos to the skies so that he receive the crown of a god-lord. The sunlight-man touched Talos to grant the blessing of the dream, for Talos did see past the deception of the dream.

7. Ahrk ol rah Talos tinvaak muz do Taazokaan: "Zu'u su'um nu ol jun, kreh daar golt kolos zu'u rel. Zu'u bolaav hi drehi, julsevus, fah sili los hin aar." Ahrk naal suleykserotii golt lost thaarn.
And as god Talos spoke to the men of Tamriel: "I breathe now as king, bend this land where I reign. I grant you my action, humans of Nirn, for my soul is your servant." And by the power of his word the land obeyed.

8. Laatserot los CHIM.

Of course, canon draconic has neither punctuation nor numbers, but here I have followed yours. If you are going for an authentic tamrielic look, I recommend borrowing those from another writing system or using line breaks generously.

Pahvomedrah
August 10, 2016
Frinmulaar

8. Laatserot los CHIM.

How long did it take to translate all of that?

by Pahvomedrah
August 10, 2016
Frinmulaar

8. Laatserot los CHIM.

How long did it take to translate all of that?

Frinmulaar
August 10, 2016

About two hours give or take.

by Frinmulaar
August 10, 2016

About two hours give or take.

Bokreinmah
August 10, 2016

That's a great translation. Thanks!

by Bokreinmah
August 10, 2016

That's a great translation. Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.