Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Another Dovahzul Tattoo :D Translations

Midkahpaar
May 19, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently booked up to get a tattoo at the end of the month. I'm going with the dragon runes on my left forearm. Only thing I'm struggling with though is deciding on the exact word or phrase.

I'd like something along the lines of words or phrases that imply or emphasise 'strength, power, commitment and perservence'.

So far a phrase I quite like is, "Strive for progress, not perfection". This is quite long and I'm not sure how well it will translate but that sort of thing might give the gist of what I'm going for.

So my questions are;

1) I've seen that on an older thread you could search by canon words? I've been unable to do this so far. Has this changed anywhere on the site as I can't seem to locate the filter in the search.

2) What suggestions can people offer based on their knowledge of the exact translations. I'd rather steer from the expanded library as this may change or not be entirely correct as I've read in other posts.

I'd be happy with single words or a few for a phrase. I'm going to start using the learning section of the site to get a better understanding of the translations myself but just wanted to ask you fine people to get the ball rolling :)

Many thanks!

Sam

by Midkahpaar
May 19, 2018

Hi,

I'm currently booked up to get a tattoo at the end of the month. I'm going with the dragon runes on my left forearm. Only thing I'm struggling with though is deciding on the exact word or phrase.

I'd like something along the lines of words or phrases that imply or emphasise 'strength, power, commitment and perservence'.

So far a phrase I quite like is, "Strive for progress, not perfection". This is quite long and I'm not sure how well it will translate but that sort of thing might give the gist of what I'm going for.

So my questions are;

1) I've seen that on an older thread you could search by canon words? I've been unable to do this so far. Has this changed anywhere on the site as I can't seem to locate the filter in the search.

2) What suggestions can people offer based on their knowledge of the exact translations. I'd rather steer from the expanded library as this may change or not be entirely correct as I've read in other posts.

I'd be happy with single words or a few for a phrase. I'm going to start using the learning section of the site to get a better understanding of the translations myself but just wanted to ask you fine people to get the ball rolling :)

Many thanks!

Sam

Niki and Austyn
May 20, 2018
HomeGrownHeroz

Hi,

So my questions are;

Many thanks!

Sam

Either get [dovahkiin] or [dovah]

by Niki and Austyn
May 20, 2018
HomeGrownHeroz

Hi,

So my questions are;

Many thanks!

Sam

Either get [dovahkiin] or [dovah]

Niki and Austyn
May 20, 2018

or even get [fus ro dah]

by Niki and Austyn
May 20, 2018

or even get [fus ro dah]

Zinrahzul
May 20, 2018
Let's start with the words you like:

strength/power: suleyk/suleykaar, mulaag, sahrot
perseverance/strive: vahriin(sworn), smoliin (passion), sindugahvon(unyielding), mulhaan(unmoving)

Your phrase: "Strive for progress, not perfection"

That makes me think of pruzaan (becoming better, the best). Now, your tattoo doesn't necessarily need to come in the form of a simple sentence. It might be better to actually state three simple words that describe what you want, sort of like a motto like "Honor, Courage, Commitment".

One possibility:

Mulhaan Pruzaan Suleykaar (unyielding, improve, strength)

You can substitute mulhaan with other perseverance words, and suleykaar with other strength words. You can also swap the order of the words. As you can see, they convey the message without just a sentence.

by Zinrahzul
May 20, 2018
Let's start with the words you like:

strength/power: suleyk/suleykaar, mulaag, sahrot

perseverance/strive: vahriin(sworn), smoliin (passion), sindugahvon(unyielding), mulhaan(unmoving)

Your phrase: "Strive for progress, not perfection"

That makes me think of pruzaan (becoming better, the best). Now, your tattoo doesn't necessarily need to come in the form of a simple sentence. It might be better to actually state three simple words that describe what you want, sort of like a motto like "Honor, Courage, Commitment".

One possibility:

Mulhaan Pruzaan Suleykaar (unyielding, improve, strength)

You can substitute mulhaan with other perseverance words, and suleykaar with other strength words. You can also swap the order of the words. As you can see, they convey the message without just a sentence.

Midkahpaar
May 22, 2018

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

So taking the advice of three individual words, which I believe is a safer bet as I do not need to worry about phrases translating correctly, I have chosen;

Mid Kah Paar (Loyal/Loyalty, Pride, Ambition)

Before I get this tattooed on my arm forever, I just want to get it double checked :D

I've uploaded an image as well to double check my typing :)

https://ibb.co/i3mxd8

by Midkahpaar
May 22, 2018

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

So taking the advice of three individual words, which I believe is a safer bet as I do not need to worry about phrases translating correctly, I have chosen;

Mid Kah Paar (Loyal/Loyalty, Pride, Ambition)

Before I get this tattooed on my arm forever, I just want to get it double checked :D

I've uploaded an image as well to double check my typing :)

https://ibb.co/i3mxd8

Liis
Administrator
May 22, 2018
Everything is correct.
by Liis
May 22, 2018
Everything is correct.

Hahdremro
May 22, 2018
Zinrahzul
 Now, your tattoo doesn't necessarily need to come in the form of a simple sentence. It might be better to actually state three simple words that describe what you want, sort of like a motto like "Honor, Courage, Commitment".

Similarly to what Zinrahzul said, you could look through a list of rotmulaag, or Words of Power, to find three that suit your needs, and you can form your own Thu'um, or Dragon Shout. Each rotmulaag is a monosyllabic word with a particularly strong meaning behind it, though concievably any word can be a rotmulaag. Almost all known Thu'um are composed of three monosyllabic words, though.

You could look through a list of Shouts from Skyrim and find a few words that would work best for you. For the link to the UESP wiki page on Shouts, click HERE.

Aal hin Thu'um kos med hin su'um. "May your Voice be like your inner-breath." Good luck, fahdoni!

EDIT: I didn't see that you'd already chosen your words. I like the rotmulaag you've picked, thuri! [Mid Kah Paar] will make for an impressive Thu'um. The lack of repeated letters means this will be a very aesthetically pleasing tattoo, in my opinion. It even sounds like it would be a worthy name for a dovah! If you plan to continue using thuum.org, you might consider changing your username to Midkahpaar to reflect your new tattoo! It works surprisingly well!

by Hahdremro
May 22, 2018
Zinrahzul
 Now, your tattoo doesn't necessarily need to come in the form of a simple sentence. It might be better to actually state three simple words that describe what you want, sort of like a motto like "Honor, Courage, Commitment".

Similarly to what Zinrahzul said, you could look through a list of rotmulaag, or Words of Power, to find three that suit your needs, and you can form your own Thu'um, or Dragon Shout. Each rotmulaag is a monosyllabic word with a particularly strong meaning behind it, though concievably any word can be a rotmulaag. Almost all known Thu'um are composed of three monosyllabic words, though.

You could look through a list of Shouts from Skyrim and find a few words that would work best for you. For the link to the UESP wiki page on Shouts, click HERE.

Aal hin Thu'um kos med hin su'um. "May your Voice be like your inner-breath." Good luck, fahdoni!

EDIT: I didn't see that you'd already chosen your words. I like the rotmulaag you've picked, thuri! [Mid Kah Paar] will make for an impressive Thu'um. The lack of repeated letters means this will be a very aesthetically pleasing tattoo, in my opinion. It even sounds like it would be a worthy name for a dovah! If you plan to continue using thuum.org, you might consider changing your username to Midkahpaar to reflect your new tattoo! It works surprisingly well!

Midkahpaar
May 31, 2018

Thanks to all that lent their help with ideas and translations.

Here it is :)

https://ibb.co/kfCdLy

by Midkahpaar
May 31, 2018

Thanks to all that lent their help with ideas and translations.

Here it is :)

https://ibb.co/kfCdLy

Zinrahzul
May 31, 2018
Well, you're going to have a lot of opportunities to explain it, haha.
by Zinrahzul
May 31, 2018
Well, you're going to have a lot of opportunities to explain it, haha.

Liis
Administrator
May 31, 2018
I dig it.
by Liis
May 31, 2018
I dig it.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.