Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Assistance with Dovahzul

Vulsaarkven
November 30, 2013

Drem yol lok,

I am new to this site, quite obviously. I would like help with my pronunciation of Dovahzul and my learning of said language. I learn much better from people than I do from reading material with language learning. Sometimes people can explain matters better when in a conversion than a text can alone. My main problem with Dovahzul, in particular, is the simification of the sentences and learning it in general. Pronunciation wise, the distinguishing of certain sounds and the rolling of the R's.

If anyone can assist me, please reply to this thread.

Nox hi.

by Vulsaarkven
November 30, 2013

Drem yol lok,

I am new to this site, quite obviously. I would like help with my pronunciation of Dovahzul and my learning of said language. I learn much better from people than I do from reading material with language learning. Sometimes people can explain matters better when in a conversion than a text can alone. My main problem with Dovahzul, in particular, is the simification of the sentences and learning it in general. Pronunciation wise, the distinguishing of certain sounds and the rolling of the R's.

If anyone can assist me, please reply to this thread.

Nox hi.

Krahvulgein
November 30, 2013

Hoveer the mouse over 'language' and select 'lessons'.

by Krahvulgein
November 30, 2013

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 30, 2013

As for pronunciation, give this video a look! It gives a fairly nice overview of all the letters. Another place you can listen is in-game dialogue, in particular Paarthurnax. His voice actor does the best with the language.

Are there any particular questions you have about sentences? For the most part it's similar to English, except Dovahzul likes to cut out words such as "the" or "a". For example, the sentence "A dragon flies in the sky" would be best translated to "Dovah bo ko lok", or "dragon flies in sky". This is mostly a matter of style, so if you said "Aan dovah bo ko fin lok", it wouldn't be grammatically incorrect.

by paarthurnax
November 30, 2013

As for pronunciation, give this video a look! It gives a fairly nice overview of all the letters. Another place you can listen is in-game dialogue, in particular Paarthurnax. His voice actor does the best with the language.

Are there any particular questions you have about sentences? For the most part it's similar to English, except Dovahzul likes to cut out words such as "the" or "a". For example, the sentence "A dragon flies in the sky" would be best translated to "Dovah bo ko lok", or "dragon flies in sky". This is mostly a matter of style, so if you said "Aan dovah bo ko fin lok", it wouldn't be grammatically incorrect.

Vulsaarkven
November 30, 2013
Sostuz

Yes, I've done that. I've read a bit of it and either I read the parts too quickly or it was too much to absorb at once.

And Paarthurnax I think I just need to sit down and throughly and slowly study the material or learn from someone in a conversional or tutor-type envinroment.

by Vulsaarkven
November 30, 2013
Sostuz

Yes, I've done that. I've read a bit of it and either I read the parts too quickly or it was too much to absorb at once.

And Paarthurnax I think I just need to sit down and throughly and slowly study the material or learn from someone in a conversional or tutor-type envinroment.

Loniizrath
December 2, 2013

http://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=179 This person is offering tutoring, maybe he'd be willing to help you.

by Loniizrath
December 2, 2013

http://www.thuum.org/viewthread.php?thread=179 This person is offering tutoring, maybe he'd be willing to help you.

Vulsaarkven
December 2, 2013
Toxikyle

Hmm... Maybe. I'll check it out.

by Vulsaarkven
December 2, 2013
Toxikyle

Hmm... Maybe. I'll check it out.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.