Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game dialog analysis

hiith
June 24, 2014

I've been poking the game to see what aspects of the Dragon Tongue would fall out, and interesting things were discovered!

Here are my findings:

• Alduin says, "Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont, nu hin sille fen nahkip suleyki.", which is to say, "I've killed you once, now your souls will feed my power." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) There are two interesting things here:
    • In "zu'u lost kriaan", he uses both "lost" and "-aan", both of which imply past tense, so this may be a redundancy?
    • The word "hi" is used to refer to multiple people, therefore replacing the non-canon "hei".
  • In the Dagonborn DLC,  when Sahrotaar is commanded to attack, he states "At once. Zu'u fen al." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) What intrigues me is the use of "al", which seemed to mean "destroy",  though we have it listed to mean "destroyer" (and have invented an erraneous word for "destroy"), though Prima Games Guide lists it as "destroy". Every other source, too, for that matter. This turns out to be just a falsehood in our dictionary.
  • This is hard to prove, but it seems that when a person or thing is neuter (neither male nor female) or if the gender is not known, then the masculine sense is assumed and used. For example, a dovah is referred to as "rok", though dragons don't have a gender. I am looking for more evidence of this, and I will post more as I find more.
by hiith
June 24, 2014

I've been poking the game to see what aspects of the Dragon Tongue would fall out, and interesting things were discovered!

Here are my findings:

• Alduin says, "Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont, nu hin sille fen nahkip suleyki.", which is to say, "I've killed you once, now your souls will feed my power." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) There are two interesting things here:
    • In "zu'u lost kriaan", he uses both "lost" and "-aan", both of which imply past tense, so this may be a redundancy?
    • The word "hi" is used to refer to multiple people, therefore replacing the non-canon "hei".
  • In the Dagonborn DLC,  when Sahrotaar is commanded to attack, he states "At once. Zu'u fen al." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) What intrigues me is the use of "al", which seemed to mean "destroy",  though we have it listed to mean "destroyer" (and have invented an erraneous word for "destroy"), though Prima Games Guide lists it as "destroy". Every other source, too, for that matter. This turns out to be just a falsehood in our dictionary.
  • This is hard to prove, but it seems that when a person or thing is neuter (neither male nor female) or if the gender is not known, then the masculine sense is assumed and used. For example, a dovah is referred to as "rok", though dragons don't have a gender. I am looking for more evidence of this, and I will post more as I find more.

yaropolk
June 24, 2014
hiith
  • Alduin says, "Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont, nu hin sille fen nahkip suleyki."

1) Past Continuous 
Past Continuous образуется при помощи вспомогательного глагола to be в форме прошедшего времени (was, were)  Ð¸ формы причастия настоящего времени (Present Participle) смыслового глагола, Ñ‚. е. глагола с окончанием -ing: 
I was working 
We were working. 

lost verd+aan = was/were kill+ing = lost kriaan

2) Hi - You (Formal) 
Him - Your
Hin - Your (formal) 

I understand here means you plural

by yaropolk
June 24, 2014
hiith
  • Alduin says, "Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont, nu hin sille fen nahkip suleyki."

1) Past Continuous 
Past Continuous образуется при помощи вспомогательного глагола to be в форме прошедшего времени (was, were)  Ð¸ формы причастия настоящего времени (Present Participle) смыслового глагола, Ñ‚. е. глагола с окончанием -ing: 
I was working 
We were working. 

lost verd+aan = was/were kill+ing = lost kriaan

2) Hi - You (Formal) 
Him - Your
Hin - Your (formal) 

I understand here means you plural

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 25, 2014

Great post hiith.

I think it's possible that Dovahzul does have a past tense form of verbs in -aan, but just doesn't use it very often. This makes it pretty much identical to English, but what's different is the removal of certain elements based on context. Consider the two canon examples, these are using translations directly from the dialogue file:

• Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont. "I have killed you once."
  • Alduin sizaan midroti. "Alduin has lost my loyalty."

In the first lost is kept and this is very literal. In the second, the way that I generally teach it, lost is cut so here sizaan on its own does mean "have lost."

Then you might think to look for examples where -aan alone is used to mean simple past tense. This is seen most often in the Word Walls, specifically with wahlaan. "Nafni wahlaan qethsegol ... " "Nafni raised this stone ... " Paarthurnax also uses wahlaan as simple past tense in one line, "Alduin wahlaan daanii," "Alduin created his (own) doom." I can't seem to find verbs other than wahlaan that use -aan for the simple past tense.

I think using -aan is a way to indicate simple past tense but shouldn't be used very often.

by paarthurnax
June 25, 2014

Great post hiith.

I think it's possible that Dovahzul does have a past tense form of verbs in -aan, but just doesn't use it very often. This makes it pretty much identical to English, but what's different is the removal of certain elements based on context. Consider the two canon examples, these are using translations directly from the dialogue file:

• Zu'u lost kriaan hi ont. "I have killed you once."
  • Alduin sizaan midroti. "Alduin has lost my loyalty."

In the first lost is kept and this is very literal. In the second, the way that I generally teach it, lost is cut so here sizaan on its own does mean "have lost."

Then you might think to look for examples where -aan alone is used to mean simple past tense. This is seen most often in the Word Walls, specifically with wahlaan. "Nafni wahlaan qethsegol ... " "Nafni raised this stone ... " Paarthurnax also uses wahlaan as simple past tense in one line, "Alduin wahlaan daanii," "Alduin created his (own) doom." I can't seem to find verbs other than wahlaan that use -aan for the simple past tense.

I think using -aan is a way to indicate simple past tense but shouldn't be used very often.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 25, 2014

Al as "destroy" is interesting and does make things simpler. I've edited our invented word ald to al, now canon. Prima Game's print version of the guide does list al as "destroyer" as well, so we will also keep that definition.

by paarthurnax
June 25, 2014

Al as "destroy" is interesting and does make things simpler. I've edited our invented word ald to al, now canon. Prima Game's print version of the guide does list al as "destroyer" as well, so we will also keep that definition.

hiith
June 25, 2014

When fighting Alduin on The Throught of The World, he states "Maar saraan ko Sovngarde.", which is to say, "Terror awaits (for you) in Sovngarde." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) What is interesting about this is that it indicates that the Dovahzul word for "Sovngarde" is still "Sovngarde", since this statement is in the Dragon Tongue. (submitted)

by hiith
June 25, 2014

When fighting Alduin on The Throught of The World, he states "Maar saraan ko Sovngarde.", which is to say, "Terror awaits (for you) in Sovngarde." (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT) What is interesting about this is that it indicates that the Dovahzul word for "Sovngarde" is still "Sovngarde", since this statement is in the Dragon Tongue. (submitted)

hiith
June 25, 2014

And even more things! ***SPOILER ALERT***

• When fighting Alduin for the last time, he states "Nust wo ni qiilaan fen kos duaan.", which is to say, "They who (do) not bow will be devoured." (AS CAN BE SEEN HERE though you can't hear it in the vid:/ ) What stands out in this is "duaan", which here means "devoured", yet we have it listed to mean "devourer", non-canonically.
  • Odahviing, in conversation while trapped, states "zu'u lost ofan hi laan... now that I have answered your question, you will allow me to go free?". (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT WITH A FUNNY COMMENT) I'm interested in his use of "laan": he uses it as a noun. We have it listed to be "inquirey", but it seems that he may be using it to mean "question" (the dragonborn had asked a question prior to this), which seems to be backed up by his English follow-up explaination, "now that I have answered your question". This could mean that "laan" also encompasses the meanings of the non-canon "luaan".
  • When you agree to free him, Odahviing states "Onikaan koraav gein miraad." (CAN BE SEEN HERE, though he impatiently skips the line half-way through) What interests me is "miraad". one "i". It seems to mean choice/option/way/path(metaphorically), and to be related to "miiraad", "door/doorway".  (I submitted "miraad".) Yay! new canon words! I always wanted to find some.
by hiith
June 25, 2014

And even more things! ***SPOILER ALERT***

• When fighting Alduin for the last time, he states "Nust wo ni qiilaan fen kos duaan.", which is to say, "They who (do) not bow will be devoured." (AS CAN BE SEEN HERE though you can't hear it in the vid:/ ) What stands out in this is "duaan", which here means "devoured", yet we have it listed to mean "devourer", non-canonically.
  • Odahviing, in conversation while trapped, states "zu'u lost ofan hi laan... now that I have answered your question, you will allow me to go free?". (CLICK HERE TO HEAR IT WITH A FUNNY COMMENT) I'm interested in his use of "laan": he uses it as a noun. We have it listed to be "inquirey", but it seems that he may be using it to mean "question" (the dragonborn had asked a question prior to this), which seems to be backed up by his English follow-up explaination, "now that I have answered your question". This could mean that "laan" also encompasses the meanings of the non-canon "luaan".
  • When you agree to free him, Odahviing states "Onikaan koraav gein miraad." (CAN BE SEEN HERE, though he impatiently skips the line half-way through) What interests me is "miraad". one "i". It seems to mean choice/option/way/path(metaphorically), and to be related to "miiraad", "door/doorway".  (I submitted "miraad".) Yay! new canon words! I always wanted to find some.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 26, 2014

-aan is used in a lot of canon words in the same way -iik is. See tovitaanfahluaankrivaan, and ronaan. This is the basis of duaan, it could mean both "devourer" or "devoured" in the same way that tovitaan can mean "seaker" or "sought" depending on context.

laan could have been used as a noun before meaning "want" or "request," we had the separate word luaan meaning "to ask" and "question." This is all in laan now.

The dialogue file translates Onikaan koraav gein miraad as "Wisdom sees the one doorway." Miraad is likely just a typo of miiraad rather than a separate word. I've added it anyhow as an "alternate spelling."

by paarthurnax
June 26, 2014

-aan is used in a lot of canon words in the same way -iik is. See tovitaanfahluaankrivaan, and ronaan. This is the basis of duaan, it could mean both "devourer" or "devoured" in the same way that tovitaan can mean "seaker" or "sought" depending on context.

laan could have been used as a noun before meaning "want" or "request," we had the separate word luaan meaning "to ask" and "question." This is all in laan now.

The dialogue file translates Onikaan koraav gein miraad as "Wisdom sees the one doorway." Miraad is likely just a typo of miiraad rather than a separate word. I've added it anyhow as an "alternate spelling."

hiith
June 26, 2014

Before flying to Skuldafn, Odahviing states "Amativ! Mu bo kotin stinselok." HERE.
It states that you two will fly into "stinselok", which doesn't make sense in the context if "stin" is only an adjective. I've had two theories about this, with evidence against both.

1. Stinselok is the name for Skuldafn: this is disproved because it is not capitalized in the captions.
  2. Stin is also a noun (freedom): Prima Games Guide explicitly states that stin is an adjective

I'd like to know what's going on here. Can anybody explain?

by hiith
June 26, 2014

Before flying to Skuldafn, Odahviing states "Amativ! Mu bo kotin stinselok." HERE.
It states that you two will fly into "stinselok", which doesn't make sense in the context if "stin" is only an adjective. I've had two theories about this, with evidence against both.

1. Stinselok is the name for Skuldafn: this is disproved because it is not capitalized in the captions.
  2. Stin is also a noun (freedom): Prima Games Guide explicitly states that stin is an adjective

I'd like to know what's going on here. Can anybody explain?

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 26, 2014

The translation in the dialogue file is:

Mu bo kotin stinselok! =

Onward! We fly into the sky's freedom.

So it would appear that stin also means "freedom." This doesn't necessarily contradict Prima Games Guide. I think what it means there is that stin doesn't mean the verb "to free."

by paarthurnax
June 26, 2014

The translation in the dialogue file is:

Mu bo kotin stinselok! =

Onward! We fly into the sky's freedom.

So it would appear that stin also means "freedom." This doesn't necessarily contradict Prima Games Guide. I think what it means there is that stin doesn't mean the verb "to free."

hiith
June 26, 2014
paarthurnax

This doesn't necessarily contradict Prima Games Guide. I think what it means there is that stin doesn't mean the verb "to free."

Yes, this makes sense now!

by hiith
June 26, 2014
paarthurnax

This doesn't necessarily contradict Prima Games Guide. I think what it means there is that stin doesn't mean the verb "to free."

Yes, this makes sense now!

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.