ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015

Ex. To take v.s. To be taken

by ZohiifZul
January 21, 2015

Ex. To take v.s. To be taken

Aaliizah
January 21, 2015

I just use kos and its forms, as in English. If there's another way, I do not know it. This is how I'd do it:

Past tense: drey kuz vs. lost kuz -- did take vs. was taken (NOTE: careful with lost! This could also mean "has taken" because lost means both "have" and "was". When something "has happened", most people use the suffix -aan.)

Present: kuz vs. kos kuz -- take vs. be taken 

OR kuz vs. los kuz -- take vs. is taken 

OR kuz vs. kosaan kuz -- take vs. has been taken

Future: fen kuz vs. fen kos kuz -- will take vs. will be taken

Hope that helped! Also, for future reference, we have a question board made just for things like this. :) Feel free to post there or message me if you have any more questions!

by Aaliizah
January 21, 2015

I just use kos and its forms, as in English. If there's another way, I do not know it. This is how I'd do it:

Past tense: drey kuz vs. lost kuz -- did take vs. was taken (NOTE: careful with lost! This could also mean "has taken" because lost means both "have" and "was". When something "has happened", most people use the suffix -aan.)

Present: kuz vs. kos kuz -- take vs. be taken 

OR kuz vs. los kuz -- take vs. is taken 

OR kuz vs. kosaan kuz -- take vs. has been taken

Future: fen kuz vs. fen kos kuz -- will take vs. will be taken

Hope that helped! Also, for future reference, we have a question board made just for things like this. :) Feel free to post there or message me if you have any more questions!

BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

I would use the suffixes to show passive

by BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

I would use the suffixes to show passive

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ooh, what suffixes?

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ooh, what suffixes?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

I'm not aware of any suffixes that can show passive. Aaliizah is correct in using lost and kos.

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

I'm not aware of any suffixes that can show passive. Aaliizah is correct in using lost and kos.

ZohiifZul
January 22, 2015
paarthurnax

Should there be a suffix to make a verb passive? You could make one from lost, i.e. -ost, so take drun (to make/bring) and add -ost, to make drunost (to be made/brought)?

by ZohiifZul
January 22, 2015
paarthurnax

Should there be a suffix to make a verb passive? You could make one from lost, i.e. -ost, so take drun (to make/bring) and add -ost, to make drunost (to be made/brought)?

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

That's certainly an interesting idea! The suffix you came up with sounds good, too. Personally, now that I think about it, I don't think the dov would speak in the passive voice very often because they're not a very passive people. Dov wahlaan fah rel. I feel like that's the kind of mentality they would have. For example, the sentence "My father's sword was stolen by a thief!" would probably be phrased as "Tafiir lost gahrot bormahi zahkrii!" (You could also omit lost entirely and leave it up to context, but I know that isn't really what we're talking about here). So I don't know if they would really need a suffix specifically for speaking in a passive way. 

But you know what? I'm sure we've come up with plenty of rules and words because they work for English speakers without considering the way the dov think. Take it up with paarthurnax! He's always open to discuss new ideas.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

That's certainly an interesting idea! The suffix you came up with sounds good, too. Personally, now that I think about it, I don't think the dov would speak in the passive voice very often because they're not a very passive people. Dov wahlaan fah rel. I feel like that's the kind of mentality they would have. For example, the sentence "My father's sword was stolen by a thief!" would probably be phrased as "Tafiir lost gahrot bormahi zahkrii!" (You could also omit lost entirely and leave it up to context, but I know that isn't really what we're talking about here). So I don't know if they would really need a suffix specifically for speaking in a passive way. 

But you know what? I'm sure we've come up with plenty of rules and words because they work for English speakers without considering the way the dov think. Take it up with paarthurnax! He's always open to discuss new ideas.

ZohiifZul
January 22, 2015
Aaliizah

Yeah I hope to do so, but I guess it really boils down to the fluency of the language. You can, for the most part, rephrase any passive statement as an active statement but it can loose its impact. but a suffix that makes any verb passive could be useful for something like poetry or story-telling

by ZohiifZul
January 22, 2015
Aaliizah

Yeah I hope to do so, but I guess it really boils down to the fluency of the language. You can, for the most part, rephrase any passive statement as an active statement but it can loose its impact. but a suffix that makes any verb passive could be useful for something like poetry or story-telling

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

I can see how that would be convenient. :)

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

I can see how that would be convenient. :)

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

I agree with Aaliizah that dragons would be more inclined toward the active voice. It's not impossible to express in canon, either, just a bit difficult. I think it's an interesting difference between English and Dovahzul, and one that we might diminish by creating such a suffix.

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

I agree with Aaliizah that dragons would be more inclined toward the active voice. It's not impossible to express in canon, either, just a bit difficult. I think it's an interesting difference between English and Dovahzul, and one that we might diminish by creating such a suffix.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.