Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Possible new interrogative

Frinmulaar
May 11, 2015

Today I was about to submit a new interrogative word as I believe they are called, but thought it would be better to weigh opinions on the forum first.

The word isn't found in English, but is fairly common in European languages. It is hurdan in Swedish and какой in Russian, and means "like what" or "what kind of". The answer to such a question usually starts with an adjective.

Let's imagine the word ended up being "ves". This would enable sentences like the following:

"Ves Alduin? Rok mul." = "What is Alduin like? He is strong."

"Ves zun kod hi? Lingrah zahkrii do dwiin." = "What kind of a weapon do you wield? A long steel sword."

Having such a word would help with brevity in some cases, and give us a grammatical construct that isn't word-for-word English code. Thoughts, comments, unconsidered linguistic issues?

by Frinmulaar
May 11, 2015

Today I was about to submit a new interrogative word as I believe they are called, but thought it would be better to weigh opinions on the forum first.

The word isn't found in English, but is fairly common in European languages. It is hurdan in Swedish and какой in Russian, and means "like what" or "what kind of". The answer to such a question usually starts with an adjective.

Let's imagine the word ended up being "ves". This would enable sentences like the following:

"Ves Alduin? Rok mul." = "What is Alduin like? He is strong."

"Ves zun kod hi? Lingrah zahkrii do dwiin." = "What kind of a weapon do you wield? A long steel sword."

Having such a word would help with brevity in some cases, and give us a grammatical construct that isn't word-for-word English code. Thoughts, comments, unconsidered linguistic issues?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 11, 2015

I like the concept. For the word, ves is all right, but I think there could be better. Perhaps veh or vaas (the second would tie to the German "was," meaning "what/which"). Vaas zun kod hi?

by paarthurnax
May 11, 2015

I like the concept. For the word, ves is all right, but I think there could be better. Perhaps veh or vaas (the second would tie to the German "was," meaning "what/which"). Vaas zun kod hi?

tiideinmaar
May 12, 2015

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. I have to agree with paarthurnax about the word, however. Vaas sounds more fitting to me.

by tiideinmaar
May 12, 2015

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. I have to agree with paarthurnax about the word, however. Vaas sounds more fitting to me.

Frinmulaar
May 13, 2015

Thanks for the responses. I'm often worried about overusing letters, and aa is one of the more common vowels, but that's probably for a reason. The link to German is especially compelling. I will make it vaas.

by Frinmulaar
May 13, 2015

Thanks for the responses. I'm often worried about overusing letters, and aa is one of the more common vowels, but that's probably for a reason. The link to German is especially compelling. I will make it vaas.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.