Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translate Names.

1  2 > >>  

Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

There is a manner to translate any name for the dovahzul language?

by Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

There is a manner to translate any name for the dovahzul language?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 13, 2014

Yes! You can spell names like you normally would, but for names that contain the letter you need to use or instead. For example, "Carl" should be spelled like "Karl", "Michael" should be spelled like "Mikael", and "Grace" should be spelled like "Grase". Any names I can help you with?

by paarthurnax
January 13, 2014

Yes! You can spell names like you normally would, but for names that contain the letter you need to use or instead. For example, "Carl" should be spelled like "Karl", "Michael" should be spelled like "Mikael", and "Grace" should be spelled like "Grase". Any names I can help you with?

Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

Like Peter.

by Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

Like Peter.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 13, 2014

"Peter" would have no problems being transliterated in Dovahzul. It would be pronounced along the lines of "petter".

by paarthurnax
January 13, 2014

"Peter" would have no problems being transliterated in Dovahzul. It would be pronounced along the lines of "petter".

Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

There is some kind of Dragon name for people, can we say their names by their meaning? 

by Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

There is some kind of Dragon name for people, can we say their names by their meaning? 

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 13, 2014

That's another way to look at it. "Peter" comes from "rock" or "stone", so I suppose you could call someone named Peter "Gol" or "Golz" in Dovahzul. It's not something I'd recommend though since those words mean actual things. If you said "zu'u lahney voth Golz" to mean "I live with Peter", it would be interpreted as "I live with a stone".

by paarthurnax
January 13, 2014

That's another way to look at it. "Peter" comes from "rock" or "stone", so I suppose you could call someone named Peter "Gol" or "Golz" in Dovahzul. It's not something I'd recommend though since those words mean actual things. If you said "zu'u lahney voth Golz" to mean "I live with Peter", it would be interpreted as "I live with a stone".

Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

Put Reziik on the translator, you will see!

by Lawiet3
January 13, 2014

Put Reziik on the translator, you will see!

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 13, 2014

Ah! I can see why that would be confusing. "Reziik" comes from the word "Rez", meaning "pet" (like a dog or a cat, or "to pet" something). The translator thinks you're trying to say "petter", or "someone who pets", so it's adding the suffix "-iik" (like English's "-er") to "pet". The name "Peter" has no relation to "pet" or "petter", so "Reziik" wouldn't be a good way to represent "Peter" in Dovahzul.

by paarthurnax
January 13, 2014

Ah! I can see why that would be confusing. "Reziik" comes from the word "Rez", meaning "pet" (like a dog or a cat, or "to pet" something). The translator thinks you're trying to say "petter", or "someone who pets", so it's adding the suffix "-iik" (like English's "-er") to "pet". The name "Peter" has no relation to "pet" or "petter", so "Reziik" wouldn't be a good way to represent "Peter" in Dovahzul.

Styorngolkiir
January 15, 2014

I translated my name even before I went to this website.  My real name ment "Swamp Child" in Irish-Celtic, so I translated it through

DOV4ZUL
and I ended up with
STYORNGOLK3R

by Styorngolkiir
January 15, 2014

I translated my name even before I went to this website.  My real name ment "Swamp Child" in Irish-Celtic, so I translated it through

DOV4ZUL
and I ended up with
STYORNGOLK3R

Toorlokviing
January 16, 2014

what about a name that means princess as my real name is sarah?

by Toorlokviing
January 16, 2014

what about a name that means princess as my real name is sarah?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 16, 2014

For the same reasons you might not want to use "Gol" to say "Peter", it might be best not to use "Kulaas" for "Sarah". It would be difficult for anyone to you know that you want "Kulaas" to mean "Sarah" rather than "princess".

A good alternative might be to come up with a dragon name (3 words of usually one syllable) that could represent the meaning of your name. For example maybe you can use something like "Golmulaak", "earth-strong-guide" for "Peter", or "Kulaasbrii", "princess-beauty" for "Sarah".

by paarthurnax
January 16, 2014

For the same reasons you might not want to use "Gol" to say "Peter", it might be best not to use "Kulaas" for "Sarah". It would be difficult for anyone to you know that you want "Kulaas" to mean "Sarah" rather than "princess".

A good alternative might be to come up with a dragon name (3 words of usually one syllable) that could represent the meaning of your name. For example maybe you can use something like "Golmulaak", "earth-strong-guide" for "Peter", or "Kulaasbrii", "princess-beauty" for "Sarah".

Nilvahlok
July 31, 2015

I want to create a dragon name for me, ive tryied to trasnlate my real name meaning that is God has healed, then it came Rah lost Vahraan and it hasnt sounded like a dragon name because the dragon names are like Odahviing or Mirmulnir... Can someone help me? For now im using an alternative dragon name.

by Nilvahlok
July 31, 2015

I want to create a dragon name for me, ive tryied to trasnlate my real name meaning that is God has healed, then it came Rah lost Vahraan and it hasnt sounded like a dragon name because the dragon names are like Odahviing or Mirmulnir... Can someone help me? For now im using an alternative dragon name.

Orkar Isber
July 31, 2015

well you could just cut out lost. Rahvaraan actually already implies "god healed" and for me it sounds well enough. You could also search for different kinds of healing like god made whole or god build or god undo pain / wound etc. RahVoAhraan.

or you dont take your real life name and use a Nickname you like and translate that, thats what i do ^^

by Orkar Isber
July 31, 2015

well you could just cut out lost. Rahvaraan actually already implies "god healed" and for me it sounds well enough. You could also search for different kinds of healing like god made whole or god build or god undo pain / wound etc. RahVoAhraan.

or you dont take your real life name and use a Nickname you like and translate that, thats what i do ^^

Grolahmul
July 31, 2015

after translation, what would be a dragon name for "Ethan?"

by Grolahmul
July 31, 2015

after translation, what would be a dragon name for "Ethan?"

Grolahmul
August 2, 2015

I now know that, translated, "Ethan" is "Iithin." What would be a dragon name for "Iithin?"

The one I found by translating my name is constancy, firm, strong. I had to change constancy to constant, because constancy isn't a dovahzul word. Anyone have an idea to fix this? I need a 3 syllable name in dragon, meaning "Ethan." The one I got from translating was

BESTAND3 R1LIK MUL.

by Grolahmul
August 2, 2015

I now know that, translated, "Ethan" is "Iithin." What would be a dragon name for "Iithin?"

The one I found by translating my name is constancy, firm, strong. I had to change constancy to constant, because constancy isn't a dovahzul word. Anyone have an idea to fix this? I need a 3 syllable name in dragon, meaning "Ethan." The one I got from translating was

BESTAND3 R1LIK MUL.

1  2 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.