LegionMammal978
April 9, 2015

This post has been deleted.

by LegionMammal978
April 9, 2015

This post has been deleted.

Maakrindah
June 2, 2015

How does one express "-ed" or "-t" in verb-to-adjective words like 'shaded', 'burnt", 'loved' (adjective form of 'beloved'), or 'bloodied'? This was a serious issue for me while writing for the community project, and I still need help.

by Maakrindah
June 2, 2015

How does one express "-ed" or "-t" in verb-to-adjective words like 'shaded', 'burnt", 'loved' (adjective form of 'beloved'), or 'bloodied'? This was a serious issue for me while writing for the community project, and I still need help.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 2, 2015
Maakrindah

It can either be left to context or with the suffix -aan.

Agaan kopraan "a burnt corpse," or kopraan lost ag "the corpse was burnt."

by paarthurnax
June 2, 2015
Maakrindah

It can either be left to context or with the suffix -aan.

Agaan kopraan "a burnt corpse," or kopraan lost ag "the corpse was burnt."

Ahmuldein
June 2, 2015

Ein/dein. Was changed to "-maar" a while ago. Idk if it was deleted or not

by Ahmuldein
June 2, 2015

Ein/dein. Was changed to "-maar" a while ago. Idk if it was deleted or not

Frinmulaar
July 9, 2015

Is "-vu" canon? Someone please answer.

by Frinmulaar
July 9, 2015

Is "-vu" canon? Someone please answer.

Liis
Administrator
July 9, 2015

It's specifically marked on the list as semi-canon.

by Liis
July 9, 2015

It's specifically marked on the list as semi-canon.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 9, 2015

Correct, -vu is semi-canon. It was invented to prevent confusion in nouns that end with n, where the suffix -nu "-less" would be indistinguishable from the possessive suffix -u "our." For example, without -vufrinu as "heatless" would be indistinguishable from frinu "our heat."

by paarthurnax
July 9, 2015

Correct, -vu is semi-canon. It was invented to prevent confusion in nouns that end with n, where the suffix -nu "-less" would be indistinguishable from the possessive suffix -u "our." For example, without -vufrinu as "heatless" would be indistinguishable from frinu "our heat."

Frinmulaar
July 9, 2015

Thanks, but I don't quite understand. Wouldn't "frin" with "-nu" be "frinnu"? Of course the only difference is gemination, but you yourself said gemination was possible (with plurals). It's phonologically easier to lengthen a nasal than move into a fricative, right?

by Frinmulaar
July 9, 2015

Thanks, but I don't quite understand. Wouldn't "frin" with "-nu" be "frinnu"? Of course the only difference is gemination, but you yourself said gemination was possible (with plurals). It's phonologically easier to lengthen a nasal than move into a fricative, right?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 9, 2015
Freymulaar

Thanks, but I don't quite understand. Wouldn't "frin" with "-nu" be "frinnu"? Of course the only difference is gemination, but you yourself said gemination was possible (with plurals). It's phonologically easier to lengthen a nasal than glide into a fricative, right?

The longstanding thought was that gemination doesn't occur outside of plural nouns, but we don't really know whether or not that's the case. If you're going for a purely canon translation, then you would use -nu. Otherwise, -vu exists as an alternative to prevent possible confusion.

It could change, perhaps -tu would work better.

by paarthurnax
July 9, 2015
Freymulaar

Thanks, but I don't quite understand. Wouldn't "frin" with "-nu" be "frinnu"? Of course the only difference is gemination, but you yourself said gemination was possible (with plurals). It's phonologically easier to lengthen a nasal than glide into a fricative, right?

The longstanding thought was that gemination doesn't occur outside of plural nouns, but we don't really know whether or not that's the case. If you're going for a purely canon translation, then you would use -nu. Otherwise, -vu exists as an alternative to prevent possible confusion.

It could change, perhaps -tu would work better.

Raxvulnax
December 18, 2015

Where can the list of Dovahzul phrases be found?

by Raxvulnax
December 18, 2015

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 18, 2015
Raxvulnax

https://www.thuum.org/learn/practice/phrases.php

by paarthurnax
December 18, 2015
Raxvulnax

https://www.thuum.org/learn/practice/phrases.php

Foduiiz
February 12, 2016

Updated to the revised 2016 dictionary. Legacy list can be found here.

by Foduiiz
February 12, 2016

Updated to the revised 2016 dictionary. Legacy list can be found here.

Mun do nil
March 7, 2016
paarthurnax

Yup, that is why the old suffix -iil was deleted. The equivalent suffix is now -uv.

If I am understanding this properly, does this mean that -iil is no longer used to express the possession of 'your'? I've been immersing myself in the "Learn the Dragon Language" pages and just began the Memrise course that is linked under the Learn tab. According to the "Learn ... Language" page, -iil is used to express the possession of 'your'. Does this mean that the "Learn..." page is now wrong, or am I just in a big misunderstanding? If it IS wrong, then is there plans to update the "Learn..." pages if possible?

by Mun do nil
March 7, 2016
paarthurnax

Yup, that is why the old suffix -iil was deleted. The equivalent suffix is now -uv.

If I am understanding this properly, does this mean that -iil is no longer used to express the possession of 'your'? I've been immersing myself in the "Learn the Dragon Language" pages and just began the Memrise course that is linked under the Learn tab. According to the "Learn ... Language" page, -iil is used to express the possession of 'your'. Does this mean that the "Learn..." page is now wrong, or am I just in a big misunderstanding? If it IS wrong, then is there plans to update the "Learn..." pages if possible?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 8, 2016
Mun do nil

Sorry for the confusion, -iil as meaning "your" is 100% canon and is correct to use that way. This was in reference to an invented, adjective suffix -iil that is unrelated to the possessive suffix shown in the lessons.

by paarthurnax
March 8, 2016
Mun do nil

Sorry for the confusion, -iil as meaning "your" is 100% canon and is correct to use that way. This was in reference to an invented, adjective suffix -iil that is unrelated to the possessive suffix shown in the lessons.

Mun do nil
March 8, 2016
Thank you for clearing this up! Truly do appreciate it! Hope this helps others who may become confused as I did.
by Mun do nil
March 8, 2016
Thank you for clearing this up! Truly do appreciate it! Hope this helps others who may become confused as I did.
<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>