A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Watch the Skies

1  2  3 > >>  

Loniizrath
June 14, 2014

We all know this song.

It's called Watch the Skies, and it plays whenever a dragon attacks. The song sounds like Dovahzul, but so far, no one has provided lyrics or a translation, official or otherwise. So I challenge this community to find lyrics for the song.

(This is a canonical song, so all lyrics must be canon words, and those words should preferably make sense in the song.)

I'll update this post as new lyrics are found

Current lyrics:

Het los maar do jorre feyn...

by Loniizrath
June 14, 2014

We all know this song.

It's called Watch the Skies, and it plays whenever a dragon attacks. The song sounds like Dovahzul, but so far, no one has provided lyrics or a translation, official or otherwise. So I challenge this community to find lyrics for the song.

(This is a canonical song, so all lyrics must be canon words, and those words should preferably make sense in the song.)

I'll update this post as new lyrics are found

Current lyrics:

Het los maar do jorre feyn...

hiith
June 14, 2014

It might start off as "het los maar do...", perhaps reffering to the dragon(s)

The next bit sounds like "kor-rey-jey", but I haven't made sense of it yet. The "jey"-sounding part could be a plural suffix.

"kor-rey" might be "koorre", "summers", but this seems unlikely.

I'm now hearing "koorre tey", "summers tale". This is almost definately not it, but it's getting closer. Though, it might could mean "tale of the summers". (I'm going to keep editing this post instead of making new ones for now, btw)

More likely: "het los maar do joorre (tey?)...". I rather like this one.

by hiith
June 14, 2014

It might start off as "het los maar do...", perhaps reffering to the dragon(s)

The next bit sounds like "kor-rey-jey", but I haven't made sense of it yet. The "jey"-sounding part could be a plural suffix.

"kor-rey" might be "koorre", "summers", but this seems unlikely.

I'm now hearing "koorre tey", "summers tale". This is almost definately not it, but it's getting closer. Though, it might could mean "tale of the summers". (I'm going to keep editing this post instead of making new ones for now, btw)

More likely: "het los maar do joorre (tey?)...". I rather like this one.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 14, 2014

This may help, I took the track and slowed it down a bit.

by paarthurnax
June 14, 2014

This may help, I took the track and slowed it down a bit.

hiith
June 15, 2014

I have an idea of what the first little snippet may be, both seemingly referring to the attacking dragon, from more likely to less:

"het los maar do jorre feyn"

meaning "here is the terror of the mortals' bane", referring to the terror that the dragon raises

"het los maar do jorre beyn"

meaning "here is the terror of the scorned mortals", referring to the terror that the prey experiences.

There is a pause after this line.

Please note that this is just the closest that I can figure while making sense. It may be very wrong, as the music is very indistinct. In fact, I'm questioning what language it's in. But it feels like a very rough possibility that it could be one of these.

I would also like to say that, in order for multiple people to be singing in this song, some form of lyrics had to be written, even if it was just nonsensical: to ensure correct pronunciation. I don't see much reason why they wouldn't put in a language, be it Dragon Tongue, Falmer, whatever. Dragon Tongue seems logically most likely, but it's very difficult to make this song out. Maby they did this to mess with us. *sigh*

by hiith
June 15, 2014

I have an idea of what the first little snippet may be, both seemingly referring to the attacking dragon, from more likely to less:

"het los maar do jorre feyn"

meaning "here is the terror of the mortals' bane", referring to the terror that the dragon raises

"het los maar do jorre beyn"

meaning "here is the terror of the scorned mortals", referring to the terror that the prey experiences.

There is a pause after this line.

Please note that this is just the closest that I can figure while making sense. It may be very wrong, as the music is very indistinct. In fact, I'm questioning what language it's in. But it feels like a very rough possibility that it could be one of these.

I would also like to say that, in order for multiple people to be singing in this song, some form of lyrics had to be written, even if it was just nonsensical: to ensure correct pronunciation. I don't see much reason why they wouldn't put in a language, be it Dragon Tongue, Falmer, whatever. Dragon Tongue seems logically most likely, but it's very difficult to make this song out. Maby they did this to mess with us. *sigh*

Loniizrath
June 16, 2014

Well, Dovahzul is one of their most developed languages. I guess it could be Ehlnofex, but it doesn't sound like Ehlnofex, and there's no reason that it would be.

Also, after listening to both versions of the song, the first one of those seems most likely, and I have another interpretation of the translation. "Mortal's bane" is obviously the dragons, so the "terror of mortal's bane" would be something the dragons fear, ie. the Dragonborn.

by Loniizrath
June 16, 2014

Well, Dovahzul is one of their most developed languages. I guess it could be Ehlnofex, but it doesn't sound like Ehlnofex, and there's no reason that it would be.

Also, after listening to both versions of the song, the first one of those seems most likely, and I have another interpretation of the translation. "Mortal's bane" is obviously the dragons, so the "terror of mortal's bane" would be something the dragons fear, ie. the Dragonborn.

hiith
June 16, 2014
Toxikyle

...so the "terror of mortal's bane" would be something the dragons fear, ie. the Dragonborn.

Well, not neccesarily. If I referred to something as "my terror", I could be talking about either something that terrifies me or the terror that I strike into others (or my feeling of being terrified).

by hiith
June 16, 2014
Toxikyle

...so the "terror of mortal's bane" would be something the dragons fear, ie. the Dragonborn.

Well, not neccesarily. If I referred to something as "my terror", I could be talking about either something that terrifies me or the terror that I strike into others (or my feeling of being terrified).

Loniizrath
June 16, 2014

That's three meanings, and they all make sense in the context of the song. Let's move away from that for now, and focus on finding more lyrics. The meaning will probably be determined by the next couple lines.

by Loniizrath
June 16, 2014

That's three meanings, and they all make sense in the context of the song. Let's move away from that for now, and focus on finding more lyrics. The meaning will probably be determined by the next couple lines.

hiith
June 16, 2014

Hm. This is where it gets really tricky. The next bit is even faster and more indistinct. It sounds something like "(hoo?) kee-shee soo-ley fah-sey-sha" or "(soo?) dee-kee soo-ley slah-shey-sha". I'll edit this post with further progress.

The first definate sylablle, seemingly "kee", could be "diiv", "kiin", "diil", or "tiid"

The "soo-ley fah" might be "suleykaar"

by hiith
June 16, 2014

Hm. This is where it gets really tricky. The next bit is even faster and more indistinct. It sounds something like "(hoo?) kee-shee soo-ley fah-sey-sha" or "(soo?) dee-kee soo-ley slah-shey-sha". I'll edit this post with further progress.

The first definate sylablle, seemingly "kee", could be "diiv", "kiin", "diil", or "tiid"

The "soo-ley fah" might be "suleykaar"

Mirkrilaar
June 20, 2014

If the lyrics weren't so quiet and the instruments not as loud, it'd be a lot easier.

by Mirkrilaar
June 20, 2014

If the lyrics weren't so quiet and the instruments not as loud, it'd be a lot easier.

Sahkrahfaas
June 21, 2014

I definitely hear a "ee-ee-ee, thuri, thuri" after "kee-shee soo-ley fah-sey-sha". "My overlord, my overlord!" What?

by Sahkrahfaas
June 21, 2014

I definitely hear a "ee-ee-ee, thuri, thuri" after "kee-shee soo-ley fah-sey-sha". "My overlord, my overlord!" What?

Foduiiz
June 21, 2014

It just sounds like verbal hieroglyphs.

by Foduiiz
June 21, 2014

It just sounds like verbal hieroglyphs.

Sahkrahfaas
June 21, 2014

I totally agree. I keep hearing "Xbox-paal xbox-paal xbox-paal" all through it.

EDIT: I'm hearing loads of "Taazokaan"s through it as well.

EDIT #2: Maybe this can help, it's a one-hour edit of Watch The Skies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Nru0FF5Yo

I have a vague idea of what the last verse thing could be (the first one appears at 1:25)

"Xbox-paal, do mey ko mey, ah mey you / Xbox-paal, Xbox-paal, Xbox-paal, o-o-o-oh / Ah, ah, gah hyah ee / Eez bes beez, koo ho pen ko / Thuri, thuri, Taazokaan / Aah thur, Xbox Xbox"

Xbox-pal, of fool in fool, hunter fool you / xbox-pal, xbox-pal, xbox-pal, oooooooooohhh / hunter, hunter, *hurt sound* *fight sound* ee / easy (wut) bees, (idk) ho pen in / my overlord, my overlord, Tamriel / *scream* overlord, Xbox Xbox. This is hopeless. The few Dovahzul words I found in there don't make sense translated and fit in with the rest. Apart from hunter fool you. Clever hunter.

by Sahkrahfaas
June 21, 2014

I totally agree. I keep hearing "Xbox-paal xbox-paal xbox-paal" all through it.

EDIT: I'm hearing loads of "Taazokaan"s through it as well.

EDIT #2: Maybe this can help, it's a one-hour edit of Watch The Skies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Nru0FF5Yo

I have a vague idea of what the last verse thing could be (the first one appears at 1:25)

"Xbox-paal, do mey ko mey, ah mey you / Xbox-paal, Xbox-paal, Xbox-paal, o-o-o-oh / Ah, ah, gah hyah ee / Eez bes beez, koo ho pen ko / Thuri, thuri, Taazokaan / Aah thur, Xbox Xbox"

Xbox-pal, of fool in fool, hunter fool you / xbox-pal, xbox-pal, xbox-pal, oooooooooohhh / hunter, hunter, *hurt sound* *fight sound* ee / easy (wut) bees, (idk) ho pen in / my overlord, my overlord, Tamriel / *scream* overlord, Xbox Xbox. This is hopeless. The few Dovahzul words I found in there don't make sense translated and fit in with the rest. Apart from hunter fool you. Clever hunter.

Ahmuldein
July 14, 2014

I may be able to find a way to crop and edit this by cutting out the other noises if possible. If not that way then Bethesda is always an option.

by Ahmuldein
July 14, 2014

I may be able to find a way to crop and edit this by cutting out the other noises if possible. If not that way then Bethesda is always an option.

Loniizrath
July 14, 2014

Right, I forgot we can contact Beth now. But yeah, definitely try cutting out the noises. That would really help.

by Loniizrath
July 14, 2014

Right, I forgot we can contact Beth now. But yeah, definitely try cutting out the noises. That would really help.

Mirkrilaar
August 16, 2014

I contacted Bethesda about the song yesterday. This was their reply:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to trace down the information for you. It could be somewhere, but the game was developed a number of years ago now, my hunch is that it wasn't anywhere to begin with to be honest.

I think it's a possibility that the music was entirely separate to the development of the dragon language originally, or not given as much depth of thought at the time. Time constraints and budgets are extremely strict in game development.

It's probably the most likely, as large tracts of the lyrics don't seem to be easily discernible, and any attempts from what I have seen online, have been very loose at best.

No knocking of the enthusiast obviously, as the knowledge and passion is astounding, I think it's largely down to the actual song itself, besides the lyrics, it's also really difficult to hear them clearly, making it even more difficult to identify any sort of linguistic pattern.

That's what I think anyway, just thought I would give you what I thought, as I couldn't obtain any information on it unfortunately. I definitely think it's the most likely scenario.

by Mirkrilaar
August 16, 2014

I contacted Bethesda about the song yesterday. This was their reply:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to trace down the information for you. It could be somewhere, but the game was developed a number of years ago now, my hunch is that it wasn't anywhere to begin with to be honest.

I think it's a possibility that the music was entirely separate to the development of the dragon language originally, or not given as much depth of thought at the time. Time constraints and budgets are extremely strict in game development.

It's probably the most likely, as large tracts of the lyrics don't seem to be easily discernible, and any attempts from what I have seen online, have been very loose at best.

No knocking of the enthusiast obviously, as the knowledge and passion is astounding, I think it's largely down to the actual song itself, besides the lyrics, it's also really difficult to hear them clearly, making it even more difficult to identify any sort of linguistic pattern.

That's what I think anyway, just thought I would give you what I thought, as I couldn't obtain any information on it unfortunately. I definitely think it's the most likely scenario.

1  2  3 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.