Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Possible Magickal Concept Behind Thu'um?

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

Mulhahlor
September 26, 2014
Kroniid

I've never heard dragon priests saying anything .-.

Morokei is pretty longwinded in Labrinthian. So is that vax Miraak.

by Mulhahlor
September 26, 2014
Kroniid

I've never heard dragon priests saying anything .-.

Morokei is pretty longwinded in Labrinthian. So is that vax Miraak.

Kroniid
September 29, 2014

Onikdojyah : Haha, you're welcome !

Mulhahlor : Oh. These are the only two I've not yet encountered ;-;

by Kroniid
September 29, 2014

Onikdojyah : Haha, you're welcome !

Mulhahlor : Oh. These are the only two I've not yet encountered ;-;

Krahlokiiz
October 3, 2014

Nahkriin will tell you something along the lines of: Hi fent ni kotin fin Miiraak. Not as much dialouge, but some.

Also, I noticed some people in the lore subreddit talking about the concept as well. The idea is that the words are not important, but the meaning behind them, the tone, is held in the mind of the zuliik, who projects this onto reality. It may explain why certain individuals are able to shout without speaking.

by Krahlokiiz
October 3, 2014

Nahkriin will tell you something along the lines of: Hi fent ni kotin fin Miiraak. Not as much dialouge, but some.

Also, I noticed some people in the lore subreddit talking about the concept as well. The idea is that the words are not important, but the meaning behind them, the tone, is held in the mind of the zuliik, who projects this onto reality. It may explain why certain individuals are able to shout without speaking.

Onikdojyah
October 6, 2014

An interiguing point, Krahlokiiz, it's quite similar, in premise, to how some spells in modern and ancient rituals do not require vocalization if the will and visualisation of the practicioner is strong enough. I do wonder if my practice in Dragon Magick could relate to the scandinavian Gladr...

by Onikdojyah
October 6, 2014

An interiguing point, Krahlokiiz, it's quite similar, in premise, to how some spells in modern and ancient rituals do not require vocalization if the will and visualisation of the practicioner is strong enough. I do wonder if my practice in Dragon Magick could relate to the scandinavian Gladr...

Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

But the words themselves have to have something to do with it. Ulfric's mouth wasn't gagged for nothing. Though yes, I have noticed that too.

by Mul klo riik
October 6, 2014

But the words themselves have to have something to do with it. Ulfric's mouth wasn't gagged for nothing. Though yes, I have noticed that too.

Mulhahlor
October 6, 2014
Krahlokiiz

Explains Alduin's so-called "Dragon Storm Call" shout.

by Mulhahlor
October 6, 2014
Krahlokiiz

Mul klo riik
October 8, 2014
Mulhahlor
Krahlokiiz

This may be getting a little off topic but, perhaps he doesn't speak the words so that no one else can learn them?

by Mul klo riik
October 8, 2014
Mulhahlor
Krahlokiiz

This may be getting a little off topic but, perhaps he doesn't speak the words so that no one else can learn them?

Mulhahlor
October 8, 2014
Mul klo riik
Mulhahlor
Krahlokiiz

Maybe. Or is could be an expression of pure primal power, with no coresponding words.

by Mulhahlor
October 8, 2014
Mul klo riik
Mulhahlor
Krahlokiiz

Maybe. Or is could be an expression of pure primal power, with no coresponding words.

Mul klo riik
October 9, 2014

If that is the case, it could also be a concept vomindoraan to mere joore. For example, we know the dovah are especially attuned to the flow of time. If the words required an understanding of the flow of time, we simply could not hear or understand them, but they are still there. Much like a three dimensional object to a two dimensional being.

I'm also going to bring this up right now, I may or may  not have mentioned this elsewere but, how does the dragonborn know what the runes are? Are the seemingly random scratches just a writing system, are they written and the meaning of the rotmulaag imbued into the words? (Paarthurnax shouting yol to the wall seems to suggest this) or are the written words just as powerfull as spoken? This last theory could also relate to the hand movements mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

by Mul klo riik
October 9, 2014

If that is the case, it could also be a concept vomindoraan to mere joore. For example, we know the dovah are especially attuned to the flow of time. If the words required an understanding of the flow of time, we simply could not hear or understand them, but they are still there. Much like a three dimensional object to a two dimensional being.

I'm also going to bring this up right now, I may or may  not have mentioned this elsewere but, how does the dragonborn know what the runes are? Are the seemingly random scratches just a writing system, are they written and the meaning of the rotmulaag imbued into the words? (Paarthurnax shouting yol to the wall seems to suggest this) or are the written words just as powerfull as spoken? This last theory could also relate to the hand movements mentioned at the beginning of the thread.

Mulhahlor
October 10, 2014
Mul klo riik

The dragons still hear the words of Dragonrend, they know the individual words, it's just that they can't understand the combination of words. And joorre in mastery of the Thu'um, especially the blood of Akatosh, would be able to understand time fairly well, even more so if they can read one of the Kel.

And there are cases of the words being written that have no meaning to the dragonborn, as in Vahlok's tomb. There are tablets written in Dovahzul are read by a researcher, and no power is absorbed from it. Also, some words are know to everyday people, and when they speak these words, nothing happens. It's like Oblivion runes: Some have effects, such as the runes, and some don't, such as where it is writen on Jurgen Windcaller's tomb. So the power must be imbued into the runes to make them hold power.

by Mulhahlor
October 10, 2014
Mul klo riik

The dragons still hear the words of Dragonrend, they know the individual words, it's just that they can't understand the combination of words. And joorre in mastery of the Thu'um, especially the blood of Akatosh, would be able to understand time fairly well, even more so if they can read one of the Kel.

And there are cases of the words being written that have no meaning to the dragonborn, as in Vahlok's tomb. There are tablets written in Dovahzul are read by a researcher, and no power is absorbed from it. Also, some words are know to everyday people, and when they speak these words, nothing happens. It's like Oblivion runes: Some have effects, such as the runes, and some don't, such as where it is writen on Jurgen Windcaller's tomb. So the power must be imbued into the runes to make them hold power.

Mul klo riik
October 10, 2014

Hm, so it seems like dragon words, written and spoken, are similar to daedric runes in that both need to be imbued with power beyond that of the word itself. Kelle and rotmulaag however seem to be, in a way, locked as well as inbued, seeing as not everyone can absorb the power. I wonder how the Elder Scrolls compare with daedric runes.

by Mul klo riik
October 10, 2014

Hm, so it seems like dragon words, written and spoken, are similar to daedric runes in that both need to be imbued with power beyond that of the word itself. Kelle and rotmulaag however seem to be, in a way, locked as well as inbued, seeing as not everyone can absorb the power. I wonder how the Elder Scrolls compare with daedric runes.

Krahlokiiz
October 12, 2014
Mul klo riik

Krosis for the time taken to respond but Ulfric had a limited skill. He knew enough to chop up a certain high king, but hardly true mastery.

Regarding the Kelle ahrk Rotmulaag, Kelle don't have imbuned power because it isn't imbuned. The symbols aren't powerful, the symbols are power. Elderscrolls aren't made, they simply are. Leftover creation. They are older the gods, than

LINEAR
time itself.

The Rotmulaag are scratches, probably imbuned with the tone. Tiny amounts of power.

So, no relationship. Sorry.

by Krahlokiiz
October 12, 2014
Mul klo riik

Krosis for the time taken to respond but Ulfric had a limited skill. He knew enough to chop up a certain high king, but hardly true mastery.

Regarding the Kelle ahrk Rotmulaag, Kelle don't have imbuned power because it isn't imbuned. The symbols aren't powerful, the symbols are power. Elderscrolls aren't made, they simply are. Leftover creation. They are older the gods, than

LINEAR
time itself.

The Rotmulaag are scratches, probably imbuned with the tone. Tiny amounts of power.

Mul klo riik
October 12, 2014

I do not believe the symobols on the Kel are power. The Kel themselves are power, the symbols are imbued the power of knowledge. The fact that these rules exist is the power. The  symbols are imbued with the task of having the rules exist. The fact that the rules exist in the kels' symbols is what the symbols get the power from, without meaning the symbols simply do not exist, nor do they have power. But the symbols are not power, the rules are power.

by Mul klo riik
October 12, 2014

I do not believe the symobols on the Kel are power. The Kel themselves are power, the symbols are imbued the power of knowledge. The fact that these rules exist is the power. The  symbols are imbued with the task of having the rules exist. The fact that the rules exist in the kels' symbols is what the symbols get the power from, without meaning the symbols simply do not exist, nor do they have power. But the symbols are not power, the rules are power.

Mulhahlor
October 13, 2014
Krahlokiiz

LINEAR
time itself.

I was not meaning to insinute that the Kel and Rotmulaag were linked. I was simply relating the time properties of the Scrolls to the thought of Mul klo riik that Alduin's unique shout was time-related.

Rolmulaag may draw their power from the souls of those who use them. That is why most can't use them, as they have weaker souls, and it takes intense study and effort to strengthen your soul to use a word. It would also explain why the Dovahkiin can only use shouts sporadically, whereas Dovah themselves can let off consecutive shouts, because they have stronger souls and more time with the language, as well as practice using it.

by Mulhahlor
October 13, 2014
Krahlokiiz

LINEAR
time itself.

I was not meaning to insinute that the Kel and Rotmulaag were linked. I was simply relating the time properties of the Scrolls to the thought of Mul klo riik that Alduin's unique shout was time-related.

Rolmulaag may draw their power from the souls of those who use them. That is why most can't use them, as they have weaker souls, and it takes intense study and effort to strengthen your soul to use a word. It would also explain why the Dovahkiin can only use shouts sporadically, whereas Dovah themselves can let off consecutive shouts, because they have stronger souls and more time with the language, as well as practice using it.

Mul klo riik
October 13, 2014
Mulhahlor

Wait, if that's true and the power does come from the soul, could this be traced back to magika? Like I mentioned before, soul siphon seems to suggest that magika can be found in souls.

• Souls have magika
  • Shouts use the soul's essence

As if souls were living organisms, and they used magika as an energy source, but to use magika, it has to be put into lipids. Shout's would also use these lipids, like a function of the soul. I feel we're getting somewhere, for science.

by Mul klo riik
October 13, 2014
Mulhahlor

Wait, if that's true and the power does come from the soul, could this be traced back to magika? Like I mentioned before, soul siphon seems to suggest that magika can be found in souls.

• Souls have magika
  • Shouts use the soul's essence

As if souls were living organisms, and they used magika as an energy source, but to use magika, it has to be put into lipids. Shout's would also use these lipids, like a function of the soul. I feel we're getting somewhere, for science.

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.