A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Frinmulaar
January 28, 2021
Demandro

Aedra seems like important thing in the general lore of world of Elder Scrolls, I wonder why they have no translation?

I honestly made and account to just ask that.

"Curse of Canon". If it wasn't needed for the specific lines of dialogue and flavour text Skyrim got, it wasn't made. Not much of an answer beyond that.

by Frinmulaar
January 28, 2021
Demandro

Aedra seems like important thing in the general lore of world of Elder Scrolls, I wonder why they have no translation?

I honestly made and account to just ask that.

"Curse of Canon". If it wasn't needed for the specific lines of dialogue and flavour text Skyrim got, it wasn't made. Not much of an answer beyond that.

Horseshoecrab
February 8, 2021

I feel like many human words dragons would not have, ie blanket was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I feel like those kinds of words would just be called their human equivalents as best as possible in the dragon tounge when translating

ie lemon in Japanese is called remon, they borrowed the word from english the best they could changing the l to an r since they don't have an L sound in their language

So I feel like many words should have no direct translation and calling a door "door" or clothing "kloting" or something along those lines would be perfectly fine when writing something out

by Horseshoecrab
February 8, 2021

I feel like many human words dragons would not have, ie blanket was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I feel like those kinds of words would just be called their human equivalents as best as possible in the dragon tounge when translating

ie lemon in Japanese is called remon, they borrowed the word from english the best they could changing the l to an r since they don't have an L sound in their language

So I feel like many words should have no direct translation and calling a door "door" or clothing "kloting" or something along those lines would be perfectly fine when writing something out

SethVeeper
February 13, 2021

This thread (Link) brought up the question of the agent marker. For the sake of thoroughness, I would like to share my proposal from that thread.

"AL-DU-IN" gives us the words "destroyer-devour-master", and the last of those also forms the root of "INHUS", meaning mastery as a possesible quality. (Source)

Therefore, we might be able to say "INSE____" (Master of ____) to indicate an agent. For example; we might try INSEKIPRAAN (Master of Meal(s)) to indicate a cook, or we might try INSEDWIIN (Master of Steel) to indicate a smith.

by SethVeeper
February 13, 2021

This thread (Link) brought up the question of the agent marker. For the sake of thoroughness, I would like to share my proposal from that thread.

"AL-DU-IN" gives us the words "destroyer-devour-master", and the last of those also forms the root of "INHUS", meaning mastery as a possesible quality. (Source)

Therefore, we might be able to say "INSE____" (Master of ____) to indicate an agent. For example; we might try INSEKIPRAAN (Master of Meal(s)) to indicate a cook, or we might try INSEDWIIN (Master of Steel) to indicate a smith.

Demandro
February 15, 2021

Hollow - Konil

Since: Ko - inside Nil - empty

by Demandro
February 15, 2021

Hollow - Konil

Since: Ko - inside Nil - empty

CONFUSION
March 30, 2021

So to be correct, do we use websites of any sort to help us forge new words, or do we just use our imagination?

by CONFUSION
March 30, 2021

So to be correct, do we use websites of any sort to help us forge new words, or do we just use our imagination?

Frinmulaar
March 30, 2021
CONFUSION

This site collects and preserves the dragon language as it appears in Bethesda materials. If you add a word to the dragon language, it will be your own version of the language, which is outside the scope of this site. As the creator of that version, you may then decide as you wish.

by Frinmulaar
March 30, 2021
CONFUSION

This site collects and preserves the dragon language as it appears in Bethesda materials. If you add a word to the dragon language, it will be your own version of the language, which is outside the scope of this site. As the creator of that version, you may then decide as you wish.

CONFUSION
April 6, 2021

Moon = Solk

moonlight = Krol

(I apologize if these don't sound good.)

by CONFUSION
April 6, 2021

Moon = Solk

moonlight = Krol

(I apologize if these don't sound good.)

TOMahawk
May 15, 2021

Could we make a translation for the word Sonder, the word means the realiztion that everyone has a life as complex as your own.

by TOMahawk
May 15, 2021

Could we make a translation for the word Sonder, the word means the realiztion that everyone has a life as complex as your own.

Faad Hadrim
August 5, 2021
Hi, I'm new to this site, I like using the translator but there have been some words that don't have a translation for, I'm not a linguist and I don't fully understand how Dovah Language works, if anyone is up to it I would like to see translations for some words, here's a list:

God/Male Deity, Goddess/Female Deity, Love, Alone, Lonely
by Faad Hadrim
August 5, 2021
Hi, I'm new to this site, I like using the translator but there have been some words that don't have a translation for, I'm not a linguist and I don't fully understand how Dovah Language works, if anyone is up to it I would like to see translations for some words, here's a list:

God/Male Deity, Goddess/Female Deity, Love, Alone, Lonely

Faad Hadrim
August 5, 2021
@TOMahawk LOL, that word should be a whole Thu'um instead of a single word in the dragon language
by Faad Hadrim
August 5, 2021
@TOMahawk LOL, that word should be a whole Thu'um instead of a single word in the dragon language

Ceredalmo
January 16, 2022
Faad Hadrim
I would like to see translations for some words, here's a list: God/Male Deity, Goddess/Female Deity, Love, Alone, Lonely

It seems that existing word is rah which does not include any sex separations, and I do not think there should be any, as remember: the dragons have no gender,sex concepts. 
Rah incompasses such sems as deity, spirit, god, daedra/aedra which is correct from the lore perspective.
You can use the legacy translation page for some semi- or non-canon invented words that did not make it to the new one. Alone is Naalein; love is Lokaan; lonely can be the same naalein if its a strong adjective, if its a week one you will use -gaar=naaleingaar (possibly)
I wonder if there could be some more human take on the Dovahzul from the Nords further in the eras, for example something atmoran influenced, though I totally agree that 'zul should have been a language for mysticism, dragon reverence, philosphy, rule, oaths and war. Not much about blankets and doors.

To those who want to invent all kinds of words: If you want to stick to the lore, setting try to look at the things from the dragon perspective, or someone from the priestly hierarchy, educated classes that would write speak about many "elevated" matters and do about their errands using native lang instead. This is called a diglossia which I think is the case for the Dovahzul.

by Ceredalmo
January 16, 2022
Faad Hadrim
I would like to see translations for some words, here's a list: God/Male Deity, Goddess/Female Deity, Love, Alone, Lonely

It seems that existing word is rah which does not include any sex separations, and I do not think there should be any, as remember: the dragons have no gender,sex concepts. 
Rah incompasses such sems as deity, spirit, god, daedra/aedra which is correct from the lore perspective.
You can use the legacy translation page for some semi- or non-canon invented words that did not make it to the new one. Alone is Naalein; love is Lokaan; lonely can be the same naalein if its a strong adjective, if its a week one you will use -gaar=naaleingaar (possibly)
I wonder if there could be some more human take on the Dovahzul from the Nords further in the eras, for example something atmoran influenced, though I totally agree that 'zul should have been a language for mysticism, dragon reverence, philosphy, rule, oaths and war. Not much about blankets and doors.

To those who want to invent all kinds of words: If you want to stick to the lore, setting try to look at the things from the dragon perspective, or someone from the priestly hierarchy, educated classes that would write speak about many "elevated" matters and do about their errands using native lang instead. This is called a diglossia which I think is the case for the Dovahzul.

Dovish Kin
April 11, 2022
@paarthurnax hey just noticed that there isnt a translation for the o in words like love thought id suggest that :3
by Dovish Kin
April 11, 2022
@paarthurnax hey just noticed that there isnt a translation for the o in words like love thought id suggest that :3

inlovewithaNERD
May 2, 2022

So, this is not my element in the slightest. But, I would like to add the word "love" so I can surprise my Fiance on his birthday in June by telling him "I love you" in dragon language cause he said that wasnt a word in Dragon Language. I know he uses this site for any Dragon Language translating he does. Not sure what the process is on this...

by inlovewithaNERD
May 2, 2022

So, this is not my element in the slightest. But, I would like to add the word "love" so I can surprise my Fiance on his birthday in June by telling him "I love you" in dragon language cause he said that wasnt a word in Dragon Language. I know he uses this site for any Dragon Language translating he does. Not sure what the process is on this...

inlovewithaNERD
May 2, 2022
Dovish Kin

Exactly my thinking!

by inlovewithaNERD
May 2, 2022
Dovish Kin

Exactly my thinking!

Liis
Administrator
May 3, 2022
@inlovewithaNERD,

Unfortunately, this thread is only for suggestions of English translations that the existing canon vocabulary can give (canon vocabulary is any official word made by Bethesda Softworks).

In order to give you some insight on how to say love, click here.
by Liis
May 3, 2022
@inlovewithaNERD,

Unfortunately, this thread is only for suggestions of English translations that the existing canon vocabulary can give (canon vocabulary is any official word made by Bethesda Softworks).

In order to give you some insight on how to say love, click here.
<<  <  1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20 > >>