paarthurnax
Administrator
June 17, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Removed.

Uh, it's still there

EDIT: 20 pages!

Hmm, that seems to happen every now and then, not sure why.

We may have to start a new thread soon!

by paarthurnax
June 17, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Removed.

Uh, it's still there

EDIT: 20 pages!

Hmm, that seems to happen every now and then, not sure why.

We may have to start a new thread soon!

Mirkrilaar
June 19, 2014
Morovahdin

Reyth

Perhaps we can capitalize the first letter in árbol to be consistent with the other dictionary entries?

I'll do that right now.

by Mirkrilaar
June 19, 2014
Morovahdin

Reyth

Perhaps we can capitalize the first letter in árbol to be consistent with the other dictionary entries?

I'll do that right now.

hiith
June 19, 2014

Bu'ul

Just thought: could explain in notes that this could be any pyramid shape, be it square, triangular, star, heptagonal, etc. Perhaps even cones? Maybe?

by hiith
June 19, 2014

Bu'ul

Just thought: could explain in notes that this could be any pyramid shape, be it square, triangular, star, heptagonal, etc. Perhaps even cones? Maybe?

Ahmuldein
June 19, 2014

Rezus

Pet can be used as a noun, 'my pet, do you have a pet, etc.'

by Ahmuldein
June 19, 2014

Rezus

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 20, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Rezus

The word rez is the noun. Rezus would be used as an adjective, for example "my pet dog."

Re: pyramid, I'd say the translation of bu'ul being "pyramid" implies all of those different shapes. If it were more specific, then the translation would likewise be more specific. As it is, it's simply "pyramid" and could be used in any sense that "pyramid" is used.

by paarthurnax
June 20, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Rezus

The word rez is the noun. Rezus would be used as an adjective, for example "my pet dog."

Re: pyramid, I'd say the translation of bu'ul being "pyramid" implies all of those different shapes. If it were more specific, then the translation would likewise be more specific. As it is, it's simply "pyramid" and could be used in any sense that "pyramid" is used.

GallantBlade475
June 21, 2014

Lohom

"Lom" is non-canon, so having a semi-canon word derived from it is a bit strange.

by GallantBlade475
June 21, 2014

Lohom

"Lom" is non-canon, so having a semi-canon word derived from it is a bit strange.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 21, 2014
GallantBlade475

Lohom

Looks like it was meant to be from lot "great" (canon) and lom "water" (non-canon), which isn't very clear in "Lohom." I edited it to a straight compound, lotlom, "greatwater." This is semi-canon since it uses the canon word lot.

by paarthurnax
June 21, 2014
GallantBlade475

Lohom

Looks like it was meant to be from lot "great" (canon) and lom "water" (non-canon), which isn't very clear in "Lohom." I edited it to a straight compound, lotlom, "greatwater." This is semi-canon since it uses the canon word lot.

GallantBlade475
June 21, 2014

Lorot

Does not state word origin.

by GallantBlade475
June 21, 2014

Lorot

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 21, 2014
GallantBlade475

Lorot

Marked as non-canon now, though it's likely related to rot "word" I can't say for sure.

by paarthurnax
June 21, 2014
GallantBlade475

Lorot

Marked as non-canon now, though it's likely related to rot "word" I can't say for sure.

Morovahdin
June 23, 2014

Mindrus

I believe that there may be two versions of the same word (words #4604 and #5657). One is translated as "Recognise" and the other as "Recognize," but I believe that these are merely spelling differences.

by Morovahdin
June 23, 2014

Mindrus

I believe that there may be two versions of the same word (words #4604 and #5657). One is translated as "Recognise" and the other as "Recognize," but I believe that these are merely spelling differences.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 23, 2014
Morovahdin

Mindrus

Thanks, I removed the extra word "Minsuk" and kept it to "Mindrus."

by paarthurnax
June 23, 2014
Morovahdin

Mindrus

Thanks, I removed the extra word "Minsuk" and kept it to "Mindrus."

hiith
June 23, 2014

Lok

"lok" is canon for "sky", so why this^?

by hiith
June 23, 2014

Lok

hiith
June 23, 2014

Huvutaan

shouldn't this be "huvutaht"? -aht instead of -aan?

by hiith
June 23, 2014

Huvutaan

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 23, 2014
hiith

Lok

Thought you might ask about this! It has a rather storied origin. Basically it is a different word from the noun lok with an entirely different origin, but just happens to be spelled the same:

• Tum is the canon word for "down."
  • Naar is the canon word for "peak."
  • Lumnaar is the canon word for "valley." Picking it apart, it is hypothetically lum naar, where a hypothetical word lum means "low." So lumnaar is "low peak."
  • The antonym of "down" is "up." Our invented word for "up" is vok.
  • If "down" is to "low" as tum is to lum, then "up" is to "high" as vok is to lok.

It just so happens that the different word lok means "sky," which I believe fits quite perfectly. As a noun lok means "sky." As an adjective or preposition, it means "high / aloft / skyward."

by paarthurnax
June 23, 2014
hiith

Lok

Thought you might ask about this! It has a rather storied origin. Basically it is a different word from the noun lok with an entirely different origin, but just happens to be spelled the same:

• Tum is the canon word for "down."
  • Naar is the canon word for "peak."
  • Lumnaar is the canon word for "valley." Picking it apart, it is hypothetically lum naar, where a hypothetical word lum means "low." So lumnaar is "low peak."
  • The antonym of "down" is "up." Our invented word for "up" is vok.
  • If "down" is to "low" as tum is to lum, then "up" is to "high" as vok is to lok.

It just so happens that the different word lok means "sky," which I believe fits quite perfectly. As a noun lok means "sky." As an adjective or preposition, it means "high / aloft / skyward."

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 23, 2014
hiith

Huvutaan

-aht would be more correct, edited to "Huvutaht."

by paarthurnax
June 23, 2014
hiith

Huvutaan

-aht would be more correct, edited to "Huvutaht."

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.