I think this should also translate to 'Diary'

by Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Daanah

I think this should also translate to 'Diary'

Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Drokur

Does 'drokur' include the playing of music and video?

by Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Drokur

Does 'drokur' include the playing of music and video?

Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Bost

Should also translate to 'hip', right? My third revision submission in a row! whoop!

by Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Bost

Should also translate to 'hip', right? My third revision submission in a row! whoop!

Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Grinstiid

'frequently'? But not 'frequent' as that would be an adjective.

by Foduiiz
May 6, 2014

Grinstiid

'frequently'? But not 'frequent' as that would be an adjective.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 6, 2014

Added "diary" to "Daanah." I also changed to the semi-canon "Pelgah," partly to make it semi-canon and also to distance it from "Daan," "doom."

I suppose "Drokur" would include that. While we're talking about it, I wouldn't mind finding a semi-canon alternative. Since that might be challenging, at the very least a one-syllable word.

I think "hip" would be separate from "waist." The waist is the narrowest part of the torso above the hips.

Added "frequently." I also added "oft". Actually I think the word itself should be changed. We can easily find semi-canon alternatives to "Griindol," "almost", and then an alternative for "Griinstiid", "often." For the latter, perhaps "Pogantiid," "many times." Or since "oft/often" is a fairly basic word and deals with time (words that dragons might naturally have separate words for), maybe we have a one-syllable non-canon word for it instead, like "Ot." Some thoughts.

by paarthurnax
May 6, 2014

Added "diary" to "Daanah." I also changed to the semi-canon "Pelgah," partly to make it semi-canon and also to distance it from "Daan," "doom."

I suppose "Drokur" would include that. While we're talking about it, I wouldn't mind finding a semi-canon alternative. Since that might be challenging, at the very least a one-syllable word.

I think "hip" would be separate from "waist." The waist is the narrowest part of the torso above the hips.

Added "frequently." I also added "oft". Actually I think the word itself should be changed. We can easily find semi-canon alternatives to "Griindol," "almost", and then an alternative for "Griinstiid", "often." For the latter, perhaps "Pogantiid," "many times." Or since "oft/often" is a fairly basic word and deals with time (words that dragons might naturally have separate words for), maybe we have a one-syllable non-canon word for it instead, like "Ot." Some thoughts.

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Hasoksetokaan

I feel that a shortened word for this term is in order. For the same reason English has 'Math/Maths' from 'Mathematics'. Maths isn't used in Skyrim as much as the real world, however. Debatable I think.

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Hasoksetokaan

I feel that a shortened word for this term is in order. For the same reason English has 'Math/Maths' from 'Mathematics'. Maths isn't used in Skyrim as much as the real world, however. Debatable I think.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 9, 2014
qobofus

Hasoksetokaan

Sure, maybe just a variation of "Tokaan"; Tokaniim, Tokaanar, Hahtokaan, some ideas.

by paarthurnax
May 9, 2014
qobofus

Hasoksetokaan

Sure, maybe just a variation of "Tokaan"; Tokaniim, Tokaanar, Hahtokaan, some ideas.

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Well... those examples are, I think, too long for it to be significant as a shortened word. If it's gonna be shortened it should be shortened. How about Tokas? Taking after the 'has' part of the full word. Maybe Tohks to make it one syllable with the same sound.

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Well... those examples are, I think, too long for it to be significant as a shortened word. If it's gonna be shortened it should be shortened. How about Tokas? Taking after the 'has' part of the full word. Maybe Tohks to make it one syllable with the same sound.

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014
paarthurnax

Challange accepted!

I started by thinking about how the Dov see 'play' in general. Play is often associated with children and the dragons of Skyrim are seldom playful. So I took canon words kiir and drey and put them together to form  Kiird. Which basically means "Child-do" or "That which a child would likely do". Admittedly, it's quite far fetched and may need some tweaking but I think it works. What think ye?

Oh, and I never thanked you for responding to each of my posts in detail. So thanks :)

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014
paarthurnax

Challange accepted!

I started by thinking about how the Dov see 'play' in general. Play is often associated with children and the dragons of Skyrim are seldom playful. So I took canon words kiir and drey and put them together to form  Kiird. Which basically means "Child-do" or "That which a child would likely do". Admittedly, it's quite far fetched and may need some tweaking but I think it works. What think ye?

Oh, and I never thanked you for responding to each of my posts in detail. So thanks :)

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 9, 2014

3 syllables is still 2 less syllables than the 5 of Hasoksetokaan. A variation of what you said, Tokaas, could work.

Kiird sounds good, nice job!

by paarthurnax
May 9, 2014

3 syllables is still 2 less syllables than the 5 of Hasoksetokaan. A variation of what you said, Tokaas, could work.

Kiird sounds good, nice job!

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

I still feel that 3 syllables is too long, not that it's up to me. I agree with tokaas though, that floats my boat if it floats yours.

Great! I'll submit the word kiird, then.

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

I still feel that 3 syllables is too long, not that it's up to me. I agree with tokaas though, that floats my boat if it floats yours.

Great! I'll submit the word kiird, then.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 9, 2014

Boat is floating, you can submit that one too if you want.

by paarthurnax
May 9, 2014

Boat is floating, you can submit that one too if you want.

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

With pleasure :)

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

With pleasure :)

Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Tozeinvu

Should this not use suffix '-nu' rather than '-vu'?

by Foduiiz
May 9, 2014

Tozeinvu

Should this not use suffix '-nu' rather than '-vu'?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 9, 2014

"-vu" is a recently created suffix that's used when a word ends with "n." It helps distinguish tozeinvu "faultless" from tozeinu "our fault." Otherwise tozeinnu and tozeinu would be indistinguishable in speech.

by paarthurnax
May 9, 2014

"-vu" is a recently created suffix that's used when a word ends with "n." It helps distinguish tozeinvu "faultless" from tozeinu "our fault." Otherwise tozeinnu and tozeinu would be indistinguishable in speech.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.