Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 6, 2014

Rel

I suggest expanding this word to include "rule" to replace the semi-canon "Mu'ul." The thought came to me when I was playing Skyrim in German, and Paarthurnax's translation of the line "Dov wahlaan fah rel" was effectively "Dragons were made in order to rule." I don't think "dominate" and "rule" are too separate, especially to dragons, and I don't think it's a coincidence that "Rel" and "rule" are similar."

by paarthurnax
December 6, 2014

Rel

I suggest expanding this word to include "rule" to replace the semi-canon "Mu'ul." The thought came to me when I was playing Skyrim in German, and Paarthurnax's translation of the line "Dov wahlaan fah rel" was effectively "Dragons were made in order to rule." I don't think "dominate" and "rule" are too separate, especially to dragons, and I don't think it's a coincidence that "Rel" and "rule" are similar."

hiith
December 6, 2014

Frey

clashes with "hiif"

by hiith
December 6, 2014

Frey

clashes with "hiif"

hiith
December 6, 2014
paarthurnax

Rel

I agree.

by hiith
December 6, 2014
paarthurnax

Rel

I agree.

hiith
December 6, 2014

Ahstiid

Synonym: sometimeS (and remove the "a" in the description to fit new definition)

by hiith
December 6, 2014

Ahstiid

Synonym: sometimeS (and remove the "a" in the description to fit new definition)

hiith
December 6, 2014

Verziik

would "draw" be a correct definition? It seems like "verilir" takes the cake for that one.

by hiith
December 6, 2014

Verziik

would "draw" be a correct definition? It seems like "verilir" takes the cake for that one.

hiith
December 6, 2014

Dumos

"despise" could be a definition of "vomos"

by hiith
December 6, 2014

Dumos

"despise" could be a definition of "vomos"

hiith
December 7, 2014

Keyr

Perhaps can be merged with "uraan"?

by hiith
December 7, 2014

Keyr

Perhaps can be merged with "uraan"?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 7, 2014

@Ahstiid, added.

@Verziik, I ended up deleting this word entirely. "Draw" is covered by verilir, "write" is covered by the canon pel, and "inscribe" could be covered by either pel or the canon dwiirok, "to carve." Which word would fit "inscribe" best, or both?

@Dumos, the difference here is the level of intensity. Vomos is just "to not like something." Zu'u vomos kaaz "I don't like cats." Compared to zu'u dumos kaaz "I despise cats."

@Keyr, I'm not sure, I think these are distinct. "Awe" and "marvel" are to be in fear or wonder of something. "Brilliance," "radiance," and "splendor" are traits of physical appearance.

by paarthurnax
December 7, 2014

@Ahstiid, added.

@Verziik, I ended up deleting this word entirely. "Draw" is covered by verilir, "write" is covered by the canon pel, and "inscribe" could be covered by either pel or the canon dwiirok, "to carve." Which word would fit "inscribe" best, or both?

@Dumos, the difference here is the level of intensity. Vomos is just "to not like something." Zu'u vomos kaaz "I don't like cats." Compared to zu'u dumos kaaz "I despise cats."

@Keyr, I'm not sure, I think these are distinct. "Awe" and "marvel" are to be in fear or wonder of something. "Brilliance," "radiance," and "splendor" are traits of physical appearance.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 7, 2014

Lith

Perhaps change this to "Vogaan" or "Vogaas"? Then it could mean "few/little" (distinct from "Mal," which is "little in size").

by paarthurnax
December 7, 2014

Lith

Perhaps change this to "Vogaan" or "Vogaas"? Then it could mean "few/little" (distinct from "Mal," which is "little in size").

hiith
December 8, 2014
paarthurnax

... and "inscribe" could be covered by either pel or the canon dwiirok, "to carve." Which word would fit "inscribe" best, or both?

I think it could be both, depending on the perspective.

by hiith
December 8, 2014
paarthurnax

... and "inscribe" could be covered by either pel or the canon dwiirok, "to carve." Which word would fit "inscribe" best, or both?

I think it could be both, depending on the perspective.

hiith
December 10, 2014

I recently tried to submit a word for depression, "gedrokend" from "gedrok". Since there's quite a bit to discuss about this, I moved the discussion here. Here's the reply that I recieved after my submission was rejected into Oblivion! (well, maybe not that harshly, but whatevs.)

I don't know if I'll be able to put all of my thoughts into the notes here. Perhaps the word revision thread will be a better place for this. I agree that "Gedrok" should be changed at least in some way. Considering there's the canon "Tiiraaz," "sadness," are these words necessary? Could "Drok," "to press," be absorbed into the canon "Dah"?

I suggested, before this reply, that "drok", "to press", could be changed so that "drok" could instead mean "depression", making the already-existing "gedrok" become "ge-" + "drok".

It seems to me that "drok" could be merged with "enriik", "to indent", because it carries the same meaning as opposed to "dah", "to push".

I believe that these words detailing depression are necessary, because the canon doesn't have words to describe it as a lasting condition. But if it was to be replaced with canon (which, again, I don't think is necessary), then it would be better to add "depression" as a derivative or another definition of "so", "melancholy".

But here's what I would have:

1. "to press" is added as a definition to "enriik", freeing up "drok"
  2. "drok" becomes the word for "depression"

Sorry that this doesn't bring it closer to canon, but it seems logical in my eyes. Also, I had the idea of using the term "fin tiirazom", "the sadness", as a possible alternative to whatever word we decide will be "depression".

by hiith
December 10, 2014

I recently tried to submit a word for depression, "gedrokend" from "gedrok". Since there's quite a bit to discuss about this, I moved the discussion here. Here's the reply that I recieved after my submission was rejected into Oblivion! (well, maybe not that harshly, but whatevs.)

I don't know if I'll be able to put all of my thoughts into the notes here. Perhaps the word revision thread will be a better place for this. I agree that "Gedrok" should be changed at least in some way. Considering there's the canon "Tiiraaz," "sadness," are these words necessary? Could "Drok," "to press," be absorbed into the canon "Dah"?

I suggested, before this reply, that "drok", "to press", could be changed so that "drok" could instead mean "depression", making the already-existing "gedrok" become "ge-" + "drok".

It seems to me that "drok" could be merged with "enriik", "to indent", because it carries the same meaning as opposed to "dah", "to push".

I believe that these words detailing depression are necessary, because the canon doesn't have words to describe it as a lasting condition. But if it was to be replaced with canon (which, again, I don't think is necessary), then it would be better to add "depression" as a derivative or another definition of "so", "melancholy".

But here's what I would have:

1. "to press" is added as a definition to "enriik", freeing up "drok"
  2. "drok" becomes the word for "depression"

Sorry that this doesn't bring it closer to canon, but it seems logical in my eyes. Also, I had the idea of using the term "fin tiirazom", "the sadness", as a possible alternative to whatever word we decide will be "depression".

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 10, 2014

I'm fine with moving "to press" to another word. My preference would be to dah "to push." "Intend" means to leave a mark in something. I also think enriik should be changed because it's too similar to canon riik "gale."

Then, drok can become "to depress/depression." Although my preference would be for something semi-canon since there are a lot of possibilities there. Sohunslaad? UlkrosisVulkrosis? A few ideas.

by paarthurnax
December 10, 2014

I'm fine with moving "to press" to another word. My preference would be to dah "to push." "Intend" means to leave a mark in something. I also think enriik should be changed because it's too similar to canon riik "gale."

Then, drok can become "to depress/depression." Although my preference would be for something semi-canon since there are a lot of possibilities there. Sohunslaad? UlkrosisVulkrosis? A few ideas.

hiith
December 10, 2014

I think "lingrahso" or "linrah-so", "long-melancholy" would be fitting as a canon alternative (but I still like "drok" better).

But I don't think that any canon words correcly describes "to indent" or "to press". "Dah" is more like if I push a box or if I push someone out of the way, not necessarily to leave a mark by etching or by compression. Which is why I'm fine with keeping a seperate word for it.

by hiith
December 10, 2014

I think "lingrahso" or "linrah-so", "long-melancholy" would be fitting as a canon alternative (but I still like "drok" better).

But I don't think that any canon words correcly describes "to indent" or "to press". "Dah" is more like if I push a box or if I push someone out of the way, not necessarily to leave a mark by etching or by compression. Which is why I'm fine with keeping a seperate word for it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 10, 2014

I like lingrahsoDrok is fine too, though I think it's possibly too close to the canon drog "lord."

On the second point, I'm just suggesting that the word enriik be altered to something else, not combined with any other word.

by paarthurnax
December 10, 2014

I like lingrahsoDrok is fine too, though I think it's possibly too close to the canon drog "lord."

On the second point, I'm just suggesting that the word enriik be altered to something else, not combined with any other word.

hiith
December 10, 2014
paarthurnax

Is there a problem with enriik becoming both "to indent" and "to press"? Other than that, I agree with all the above.

by hiith
December 10, 2014
paarthurnax

Is there a problem with enriik becoming both "to indent" and "to press"? Other than that, I agree with all the above.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.